cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Login has changed

roxandtreez
I'm a senior contributor

Something changed in the forums overnight.  My usual process is to log on to MyRogers, check my internet usage graph, then scroll down to the Community Forums link at the bottom of the page.

When I tried this today, I was not signed on to the Forums when the page came up.  I clicked the signon link at the top of the page, and the signon page came up for a second but did not allow me to enter my info then it brought up the forums and I was not signed on.

I went back to MyRogers, signed out, and then clicked the forum link at the bottom of the page.  When I clicked the Sign In link, this time it allowed me to sign in and the forums worked properly (except for the issue below).  There is a thread from last year that describes this same problem, so maybe last night  changes reverted a previously fixed issue.

Next, my icon at the top of the page after I successfully signed in showed 4 items.  When I clicked on the icon, it showed that I had 4 items next to the "bell" icon.  When I clicked it, it showed 4 references to my userid by @57  in the Updated Navigatr thread, but when I checked the thread, there was only one post by 57 that referenced me.  The only explanations I have for this is that 57 duplicated the post 3 times and the duplicates were deleted, or he edited the post 3 times and each generated a reference. 57 is a fairly experienced user and seems unlikely to do this, but would that explain the results?

Mac OS X 10.11.3 (El Capitan)  

Chrome Version 49.0.2623.110 (64-bit)

***Edited Labels*** 

154 REPLIES 154

Re: Forum Login has changed

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I have my notifications page bookmarked and that's where I sign in. Yesterday the sign in took a bit longer because I was diverted by the Black Friday promotion thing and had to go to My Rogers and then Community Forums to get in. I believe something similar was happening a while ago with iPhone 7 reserving promotions.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Hey @57 @OLDYELLR,

It would seem that the redirecting is occuring from the MyRogers sign in. I can understand if an user is signing in directly from Rogers.com or MyRogers, but it is odd that they are still presented with the redirect offer page when attemping to sign in from the Community Forums. I will need check on this and follow up with everyone. Anyone else in the Community experiencing this?

Also, not sure if this will help, but are you guys also on Private/Incognito mode when this redirect occurs?

RogersRoland

@RogersRoland wrote:

Also, not sure if this will help, but are you guys also on Private/Incognito mode when this redirect occurs?

Nope.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm guessing that the Black Friday sale is over as I'm no longer being redirected.  Login works like before for me.

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the update @57.

We have contacted the team who is in-charge of implementing the splash/promo screens in hopes there will be no future disruptions on our end in the Community Forums.  Fingers crossed 🙂

RogersRoland

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

Always have had this issue and still  do .  The  accounts are obviously linked with My Rogers being the dominant. 

I have to log in to my Roogers to post on the BB  even though I can access the BB  without logging in .  ... guest staus I would assume. 

So where it gets interesting and a significant timewaster  is if I log in to the MY Rogers to gain login  and posting status on the  BB  and then I go to any screen  other than the BB I am logged out  of the  BB but i am still considered by the BB to  be "online" and if I return to a BB page I again  have to  return to MY Rogers 

to re log in  in order to regain signed in status on the BB.

The part i find most irritating is that if I don't sign out any time I leave the BB I will remain "online" to the BB yet still have to go back and sign in to MY Rogers in order to sign in to the BB  so I can sign out. 

So I can sign in to both  ... leave  completely and then come back to the BB a half hour later and find that I am still "online" to the BB  but I have to then go and sign in to  My Rogers to post or sign out of the BB.  is there a fix for this or is it just   the way it is ?  It just seems so  ... nah ...better not say it . Smiley Wink

edited to correct terminology.

barndoor

I'll try this as a direct question  ... why is it possible for me to be considered " online"  on this board but NOT signed in ? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barndoor:

What do you mean by "online"?  Is your avatar present at the top-right of the screen?  Is the "sign-in" option not present?

I believe I've mentioned before that I always try to treat the various Rogers websites as distinct. I therefore never utilize MyRogers to access the forums, or the forums to access MyRogers.  I always sign out of one and then sign into the other, just like I would with two different banks.

I also do not use AnyPlace at the same time as I'm logged into either the forums or MyRogers.  Utilizing the various Rogers websites in this manner (as if they were 3 different banks) precludes any issues that I had encountered in the past. The only difference is that I don't log-out of AnyPlace, but I don't have it "open" (say in a tab) at the same time as I'm using the forums or MyRogers. 

I also treat my Rogers Bank MasterCard as separate, but that has a totally separate sign-in for me. 

barndoor

There is a list  of members who are " online "  on the bottom of the first page  ... shows when you are online and how long you have been here .(you have to log in to be "online"  and it seems if you don't sign out when you leave you will remain online but if you return you will have to re sign in  even though you may be shown to be "on line" )  I have at times  come back to read without logging  in only to find that according to that  monitor  that I have been  "online"  for the last hour and even though it shows that I'm on line , I have to go to MY ROgers  to re sign in,  in order to go to the community page  to  sign out of the community . Any other bulletin board I have been on  .. if you leave the site  you automatically log out . I guess in a sense that is what happens here  but it makes no sense to still be shown as" online"  .  

If I come on as a guest, I can read  everything  with no login and  there is no sign of my presence on the monitors . 

I'm not really sure how  to go about seperating the logins .  Basically if I'm not logged ?signed in to My Rogers  I can't post here . If I try to log in here first  it just sends me to the My Rogers login and I have to go through that whole rigamaroll  in order to post here. 

Hope that makes sense  . Smiley LOL

Thanks  for the info . 

edited to add that the " online " status is also shown in your profile as well as the members on line list.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barndoor:

I see what you're saying.  If I click on the blue "sign in" at the top right of the forum, then I'm taken to a page that says "MyRogers Sign-in".  However, after I've signed in, I'm taken to the forum, not to the "MyRogers" site.  If I start from the forum, I'm taken to the forum even when I click on one of my account numbers (which recently started coming up, even when logging into the forum - a stupid extra step - I have two accounts -  Paygo and Cable TV/Internet/HomePhone accounts which Rogers likes to keep separate for some reason)

I typically don't do this because I mostly come here and view threads I'm interested in (without signing in).  The only time I sign in is if I wish to reply to a post like I'm doing now.  I then click "Reply" and I'm taken to the Sign-in Page and then to the "Reply to post" screen.

When I'm done, I log out.

I use a different "My Rogers" sign in page to view my Rogers accounts information.  Here's the direct link I use for that...

https://www.rogers.com/web/totes/#/signin

(The link above will only take me to a sign-in page if I'm not already signed in (to the forum or MyRogers). If I click on it while signed in, it will take me to my accounts information directly)

If I wish to go to the forums from MyRogers accounts (viewing bills, etc), I can do that, however, I try to avoid doing that since I've encountered issues in the past and now treat the two websites as different entities as I mentioned earlier.  Perhaps I don't need to do that any more, but a few months ago it was necessary for me, otherwise I encountered problems.

Rogers really should work on their interface rather than us having to use all these "workarounds."

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Upon further reflection, why can't the Rogers forums be like the other forums that I'm on.  I don't sign in or sign out of those forums. They "remember me" and I simply click on a bookmark.

@barndoor wrote:

I'll try this as a direct question  ... why is it possible for me to be considered " online"  on this board but NOT signed in ? 

@barndoor,

The data from the user online list is slightly delayed. So even if you have already logged off, it will still show you online for a little while longer. Not a make or break feature, but I can definitely understand the concern of the inquiry 🙂

RogersRoland

barndoor

Thanks 57 , and I  agree  login for MyRogers  but just a bookmark entry for the forums  would make more sense. 

When i go to the blue icon  upper right here  ... it sends me to a page that looks exactly like the one in the link you posted .   I'll play a little more and see what happens  ... but it seems to be a lot like the trail you follow. 

@RogersRoland  ... I suspected a delay might be involved  ..and sometimes it is it seems .  But I find it interesting that every time i sign in  I'm shown as online as soon as I look  but when it comes to signing out it seems to be be random .  I have had it happen immediately sometimes  or like when I SIGNED OUT after making the previous post on this thread , I came back from viewing  three different websites to find I was STILL  logged in here twenty minutes or more  later. So I signed in again and  signed out  again  ....  went to a different site  and this time when I came back I was indeed off line .  It just seems erratic  and one has to wonder just what is going on. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barndoor

I also noticed after you mentioned it that I was "online" this morning after signing out. I was online once and offline another time - this is not something I'm going to worry about though.

You may find if you close your browser that you will be offline and signed out the next time you launch the browser.

barndoor

Agreed   ... not a big deal ... just irritating  that the site  considers you to be "online"  but you have to go through the log in process all over again  to post or check PMS.

@57 @barndoor

From what I know, the auto "timeout" of your online status is meant as a security feature on Rogers.com and MyRogers. Due to the Community Forums profiles/SSO linking directly with the MyRogers page, our settings would have to mirror it.

Personally, I am not a fan of that setting, but I can also understand having it. This sort of auto signout feature is similar to that of many online banking / credit card company sites.

RogersRoland

barndoor

Don't the  banks and government services  time out  because you have taken too long or been idle for too long  but logged in . In this situation here it seems to be the oppostite ,  they seem to want to keep you recorded as being here.  I tried it again and logged out twice  I was still considered online 39 minutes later .... the next time I had been  taken off the list .  Just weird . 

57, I tried closing out and switching the browser but it didn"t   seem to  matter . 

Like I said  ... seems strange that your name stays on the list as being online  ... but you have to re sign in to do anything  as a member . Just another glitch I guess.  Smiley Happy 

barndoor

LOL  .. Smiley LOL

As of 10:30  pm I have signed out twice and I am " off the list  " immediately .. no delay .   I wonder if it is a function of how busy the site is or something . 

Just crazy .

barndoor

Yup ... only a few people on this morning and sign in is super fast  and sign out was immediate . Maybe if Rogers added a little more capacity to the system a lot of those midday glitches we've been having would go away and customers would be happier.... Smiley Wink

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Hard to say for me because yesterday my Windows 7 laptop died and I'vd been using my old Windows XP desktop, yet the logging in and navigation seems quite smooth, so it must have improved.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:

There is a list  of members who are " online "  on the bottom of the first page  ... shows when you are online and how long you have been here .

I don't see that. Using Firefox, Windows XP or Windows 7.

Topic Stats
  • 154 replies
  • 34 Likes
  • 10 in conversation