cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fox News why not full HD?

Greesh
I'm here a lot

Seams to me that it is intentionally not in HD. CNN is in HD and way more pleasant to watch then SD programming. It’s highly likely another Liberal tactic to keep people focused Left.

69 REPLIES 69

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

alphavortex
I plan to stick around
Yes I see that now - it is indeed HD on my TV but before you buy it... it's listed as SD and when I called in, the agent wasn't sure if it's HD or not. It also doesn't show up on Anyplace TV. Still looks fishy to me.

svricic
I've been here awhile

It is now. 06?29?2018, Silvijo.....

svricic
I've been here awhile
You are correct. Here in Waterloo is also in HD.

alphavortex
I plan to stick around

Channel 181 Fox News is in HD now but on Anyplace TV (which only started working a few days after ordering), it's still SD unlike CNN which is fullscreen HD... sad.

svricic
I've been here awhile

I live in Waterloo. It is in HD, full screen, same as CNN. It use to be SD, but not any more. If on your TV is not full screen HD, give them a cal. I did, and after 48 hours it was full HD chanell...

Russet
I've been around

Several of the earlier posts suggested few Canadians watch FNC compared to CNN.  Well, we were spoon-fed CNN from "Day 1".  It was often included in basic packages originally and carriers did not rush to offer FNC and when they did, made it difficult and add-on expense for viewers, so many people would just bypass it.  As time passed, FNC grew in prominence and as many have posted here.  It is the #1 Cable News network in the USA by healthy margin.  However, CNN is still treated as "king" up here.  Had the Cable TV providers made FNC as readily available as CNN - or (OH! the horror of it - LOL) put FNC on the position of CNN (readily available) and relegated CNN to the background, then more Canadians would be watching.  Unfortunately, FNC and CNN have never been on a level playing field in Canada, including both general availability and format. 

After reading through this thread, I see that quite recently, Rogers changed the delivery to HD.  But it does seem odd as I am not a ROGERS customer where I live (my parents live in K-W) - that there is not a separate channel for the SD broadcast and the HD.  I am used to seeing both HD and SD version channels (not only when I have been in a Rogers home, but on our Cogeco service in Halton). 

I did inquire at Cogeco about FNC in HD and after an escalation, I was told that it wasn't made available by FOX in HD outside the USA.  Now this also seemed odd to me as why wouldn't FOX want the best broadcast version of their channel out there for customers to watch?  I also tried to contact someone at FOX NEWS CORP to inquire about this, but couldn't figure out how or who to email and did not reach anyone knowing something on the phone and just let it drop.  This was last year (2017) sometime I believe. 

If ROGERS is indeed broadcasting FNC in real HD, then Cogeco was feeding me BS.  In my experience, COGECO has always been behind ROGERS in channel offerings (they were way behind in adding FNC and other new channels years ago, and also always played catch-up in the number of HD channels offered).

Unfortunately, cable providers have a geographic monopoly and I cannot choose to go with ROGERS.  I could choose to go with BELL FIBE TV, but I don't believe they have FNC in HD either - well they might now, but not a year or more ago.

And if I may return to FNC, it is my experience that many Canadians have a distorted idea and opinion of FNC, and many of them have not watched it (they don't have it or didn't for many years), so the opinion comes from CNN watching or reading left-leaning articles and such.  Of course FNC has several shows and hosts who are conservative and present that viewpoint.  Just like CNN has liberal hosts.  However, FNC has always been more balanced in terms of guest commentators and debate than I have seen in recent years on CNN.  Fox often has 1-on-1 debates and discussions, but I usually notice a 4 or 5, and even 6 to 1 ratio on CNN panels when I "drop in" to see what they might be doing.  

I also find that CTV New Channel spends a lot of time Trump bashing and often when I look to watch some Canadian news, I find Trump Administration is the topic.  They seem to do plenty of CNN "me-tooing" when not covering Canadian news.  And of course, they always just find some professor from the University of Nowhere to Skype in and join the chorus.  I do not subscribe to CBC News nor MSNBC. 

So, I do agree with others that we ought to have a balance of news sources, but it seems the cable providers want to direct customers a certain way, or the past history of availability has made it so.  The one attempt to have a more conservative news channel here in Canada failed abysmally, but at least someone tried. 

What I think we really lack here in Canada, is the type of debate and discussions that occur on the non-pure news shows in the US.  They will discuss political issues of the day.  One current issue here in Canada recently has been the dairy cartels and how that costs consumers huge mark-ups and so forth and it has been a constant bone of contention in international trade negotiations, including NAFTA.  So, why isn't there a show or forums to have more detailed background information and debate on this matter?  Yes, there have been several articles in the press, but nothing like this gets covered in detail as happens in the USA.  CTV News could be doing a better job informing and educating Canadian public on the issues we have.  Same thing could have been done more with cannibis and the list goes on.  Instead, I find after watching CTV News Channel for a short while, they are simply repeating the same thing I just saw.  Yes, this happens on CNN/FNC, but they have more enriched content. 

Okay, stepping down from soap box.  

alphavortex
I plan to stick around

That's exactly it - Rogers is pushing to keep people leaning left.  It's obvious media conglomerates are politically charged.  We need laws to keep media unbiased and let the consumer decide what is what.  They know full well how easy it is to "brainwash" the masses as most people buy whatever seems right without digging into it much.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@alphavortex wrote:

That's exactly it - Rogers is pushing to keep people leaning left.  

I know of no corporations that "lean" left.  I believe you may be confusing a corporation like Rogers or Bell or Shaw with media (like many newspapers or news networks).

You may wish to watch the documentary "The Corporation" some time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379225/?ref_=nv_sr_2

alphavortex
I plan to stick around

no confusion whatsoever.  The News Media is one thing and TV providers are another.  Both can lean left or right or be unbiased.  A prime example of a TV provider leaning left is by providing CNN for free and having it more available (Link to it on the main page of Anyplace TV) to customers while charging for Fox News, having it in SD and making it more difficult to view - simple really.  Once corporations learn that people know.. they change their system and make a statement saying we value all customers etc etc...  ONLY after it become evident though.  See, Fox News is STILL in SD on Anyplace TV while CNN is in HD.  I get CNN free while having to pay $4/mo. for Fox News.  Fox News is listed as SD on the Rogers website - they know people don't want SD now a days.  The customer service rep asked me which FREE channel I'd like - then asked would you like CNN?  Rogers owns 680 News, City TV and tons of other News Media including print... leaning left.  

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@RussetYou are exactly right about CNN. As far back as I can remember it was part of basic analog cable. But that was back when it was a respected American news source with no political biases. Fox News did not even exist. Today it's clearly Left Wing. Of course the cable providers will say not enough Canadians want to watch it, but presently most of us can't even see it and mostly hear about it on late night TV shows, all of it negative, because those hosts are left wing. Perhaps we need a change in government to mandate a more balanced choice.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

pmcdunnough
I plan to stick around

It is really strange for Fox News to only be available in SD on Rogers. Bell has it in HD. Of course CBC, CTV and even CNN will have more people since they are included in many more packages and are all in HD.

Is Rogers going to provide this or not? It would be a shame to have to switch providers just for that.

Hello @pmcdunnough,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

Having to watch your favourite channels in SD can be a real drag! I have a hard time remembering what SD even looks like, I definitely do not want to go back to that life either! =P

Earlier this year we announced that we launched Fox News in HD, you can see the original post by clicking here. Please tune into Channel 181 in Ontario and 1206 in Atlantic Canada, for Hamilton customers tune into Channel 468.

If it does not work for you we will need to take a look at your subscriptions. Keep us posted if you are still having issues.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Perhaps @pmcdunnough is referring to Fox News on Anyplace, rather than on channel 181...?  Earlier in this thread someone stated it was SD on Anyplace.  It has certainly been HD (181 in Ontario) since early May on HDSTBs.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Community-Lounge/Fox-News-why-not-full-HD/m-p/424985#M1338

Edit - I just checked Anyplace on my computer and Fox News appears to be 16:9, just fine...

pmcdunnough
I plan to stick around
I just checked 181 and it is in HD which is great. I don’t see 181 on Anyplace TV on my iPad. Also, when I go on the internet to view Fox News Rogers does not come up as an option to unlock the content.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pmcdunnough wrote:
I don’t see 181 on Anyplace TV on my iPad. 

Comes up fine on my iPad.  Click on the hamburger (3 lines) at the top right of the screen, select Guide, scroll to channel 181 - click play.  Make sure all your other settings are correct.

alphavortex
I plan to stick around

Fox News 181 on Anyplace TV is NOT in HD...  CNN on Anyplace TV is in HD.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@alphavortex wrote:

Fox News 181 on Anyplace TV is NOT in HD...  CNN on Anyplace TV is in HD.

You are correct in that Fox News is not as clear on Anyplace as some of the HD channels around it.  I viewed a few different channels as a test.  I never watch programming on my iPad, or Anyplace - I only check there as a test for people having issues.  I'm guessing Rogers must still be feeding the AFD (16:9 SD) feed to Anyplace instead of the HD feed that's available on 181 on an HD STB for example.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I deplore Rogers not putting Fox news on most basic cable packages along with CBC and CTV news to balance the ideology. But I suppose Rogers follows the left wing agenda of the federal government

Lovee
I've been around

About 3 years ago during the Trump election in the U.S. I got so sick and tired of watching the Far Left CNN I just couldn’t watch it anymore..I didn’t at that time have to get a new Rogers plan,,I had Fox added to my plan for $6.99 a month and it’s the best $6.99 I’ve ever spent.!!

Bill42
I'm here a lot

I think you're in the minority, there. I think far more Canadians are so sick of the constant Trump nonsense that they have no use for the media propaganda arm of the Trump administration.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Bill42While Fox News may be Trump nonsense, CNN is certainly anti-Trump nonsense. If you want to watch American news, you need balance, therefore both. Unfortunately all Canadian cable news is Trudeau nonsense, no balance at all, except for independent news sources on the Internet.

Topic Stats