cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fox News why not full HD?

Greesh
I'm here a lot

Seams to me that it is intentionally not in HD. CNN is in HD and way more pleasant to watch then SD programming. It’s highly likely another Liberal tactic to keep people focused Left.

69 REPLIES 69

Re: Fox News why not full HD?

BS
I'm a senior advisor

A quick look on Bell listing, Fox News is in SD, but no channel in HD, and it doesn't appear that any provider in Canada provides it in HD.

Political discussions aside, I want nothing to do with them, my understanding is that Rogers and others make their decisions on channel provision based upon viewership and requests for channel.

It has been well discussed in various threads, that there are some channels not in HD, CNBC is another one, along with a couple of others.

This question keeps being asked, and the standard answer, from here, if you call in, you raise a concern wil be something like this: At this time we have no updates on when Fox News would be available in HD on our network.

That is the honest answer by any rep, moderator on this board, and probably all the way to office of president.

Somewhere in Rogers there will be a department that negotiates carriage agreements based upon their perceived future viewership for the channel, and the cost from the provider.  CRTC has some say over HD availability, but there is nothing I could find that would provide a restriction on Fox in any manner at all.

On this thread, and others, there is lots of discussion of political explanations, CRTC, the corporations, etc.

The only thing I would recognize is that CNN has been on the air since 1980 and as a result has developed a historical viewership, whereas, Fox News has been available since 2004.

So as to the reason why Rogers, or it appears any Canadian network that I could find has not provided Fox News in HD, appears to lie with the bean counters who decide what stations will be carried, in what form.  It is no different that the ongoing changes we see every year, where British News Network was shifted around, other channels were recently removed.

It will lie with what the network wants to charge for the various streams, and then Rogers decides what carriage agreement they want to sign up for and how they want to price or bundle the network of any type.

So, I will leave the attempting to explain reasons to those who like to play political guessing - there is no evidence that I can find why it has always been SD in Canada and never in HD, but I do know it was pulled from certain packages a number of years ago, and provided as a stand alone station, rather than in any package.

So, the question comes up every once in a while, there are lots of opinions, but for me, I say, a business decision, because lets be honest here, Rogers is in the business of making the most profit and how they evaluate how to make that profit is way up the ladder of any access to information we may get, other than we don't currently provide it, you can share you desire for it, and they will let you know if changes come.

The standard answer when something is not currently available and either the answer is unknown, or there just has never been a decision made public at any point in time.

Feel free to keep answering - for me, I don't watch much news anyway left or right leaning, a lot of it is not news, it is just opinion pieces on events of the period.  I do watch CBC Sunday Morning, and documentaries on various networks. 

Maybe Scully or the Fox Mulder can give us an answer - there may be an X-file open somewhere on it.Smiley LOL

Bruce

Bruce

Greesh
I'm here a lot
Hey Bruce,

Thanks for your input. You make a lot of sense, it’s just surprising that the no. 1 leading news channel in the US would not be desirous north of the border. I just find it coincidentally strange that the news we get here is all slanted left. I’ve reached out to Fox for clarity but haven’t heard back yet. Ultimate I think they will have the most accurate reason.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

We live in Canada, and I personally don't try to understand broadcasting and BDU corporations anymore - their logic is beyond me. Smiley LOL 

Hope you find some answers.  I agree it is good to have choice on what perspective on the news is presented and available to us, but we do at least have it in SD. Better than nothing for now.  Rogers has never seemed to be in any hurry to make the HD stream available, along with other stations, and their reasons have always been kept private.  That is all I know.

It really comes down to the corporations involved, both from the U.S. and within Canada.

Let us know if you learn anything new.  If you do, you will be the first.

Bruce

I watch CNN about 15 minutes a day to remind myself of how ludicrous the Liberals are and to get another point of view, something that is being squashed by not providing Fox for free let alone in HD. The reason I only watch 15 minutes and not 15hrs like I watch Fox and other news is because after about 15 minutes I simply can’t handle the nonsense and longer and must switch to level headed reporting!

BS
I'm a senior advisor

15 and a 1/4 hours of news - that leaves less than 9 hours for sleep, eating, getting out of the house and coming on the forum.

Maybe a little less news and a bit more life -- Smiley LOL

I think we know why you don't like CNN, and want Fox, but there is nothing more we can offer to answer the original thread question - Fox News, why not full HD?

As for free, CNN is a bonus channel in the select, you pay for Fox, in the middle popular, it is a bonus channel.

Or how about the Canadian News theme pak at 5.00 and the American News Theme pak at 10.00 and the Internation theme pak at 5.00 and then you will have a huge range of news to watch.

If you watch 15.25 hours of news, why not a starter package, and add on the desired theme channels, and save some money - you must have little time left for any other type of TV watching.

Of are you just being facetious?

I the meantime, I think that the original thread post has been more than adequately responded to: Rox News why not full HD?  Basically, we don't know why, and nobody from a corporate level has ever told us why, just confirming it is not there and if it changes, they will announce it.

Maybe you will get an answer from Fox Corporation, but at this point, I think we are straying way off topic to the original question.  With a doubt, this is a topic that raises the ire of some, but like it or not, it is what we have got.

I have nothing more to say on the matter - enoy your news, whatever form it comes in, or may you find the view you are looking for.

Sincerely, Bruce

I turned on Fox News on 181 when I got home from work today (it is my default channel), and it appears to be in Full HD now.  It fills up the standard 16x9 format of my tv, which is the whole screen.  Same goes for RT on 177.

For the sake of completeness, I thought I'd reply here to your duplicate post.  As mentioned in the following link, it's not HD, but SD/AFD

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Fox-News-HD/m-p/418044#M45524

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@FaithPlusOne wrote:

I turned on Fox News on 181 when I got home from work today (it is my default channel), and it appears to be in Full HD now.  It fills up the standard 16x9 format of my tv, which is the whole screen.  Same goes for RT on 177.

I don't receive Fox News 181, but do get RT 177. Right now I'm seeing it letterboxed SD.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLRwrote:

I don't receive Fox News 181, but do get RT 177. Right now I'm seeing it letterboxed SD.

177 is filling my 16:9 4K TV screen, as is 181. This is with the 8300HD and the 9865. Which STB are you using?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

@OLDYELLRwrote:

177 is filling my 16:9 4K TV screen, as is 181. This is with the 8300HD and the 9865. Which STB are you using?

I have the 8300HD and Samsung UN55MU6300F TV.  With the picture set to Standard 16:9 on Ch 177 it is stretched full width with black bars top and bottom. Watching a regular HD channel and setting the TV picture to Standard 16:9, then switching to 177 changes it to 4:3 letterboxed.  Maybe different TVs interact differently with this STB.  On Ch 177 with the TV button pressed on the Atlas remote, the # button lets me change the 4:3 letterboxed picture to 16:9 or Custom.  I can adjust the Custom screen to correctly fill my 16:9 screen. Anyway, this is how it works for me and is a bit off-topic.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR : I suspect that in the Settings you have "Set Picture Format" set to AutoDVI/HDMI.  This is the "passthrough" setting, which allows 480i to go to the TV for SD channels and 720P/1080i for HD as applicable. Most TVs will then remember the stretch modes for SD and HD separately and do "what you want" to those channels - for example stretch or zoom SD.

If you wish to make use of the AFD feature for applicable channels, you'll need to go to Set Picture Format under Settings (two presses of the settings button) and choose "Fixed" instead of "AutoDVI/HDMI". You then go to the Quick Settings (one press of the settings button) scroll up to picture format and choose 1080i.  AFD will then function properly on the AFD channels, but all channels will then be sent to the TV as 1080i.  This may or may not be what you want. Originally people found they had better picture quality with "passthrough", but I experimented with this recently and found no difference in picture quality using the "fixed" setting and it does make the AFD channels function "properly".

Note that all of the above applies to the SA8300HD with SARA firmware. It doesn't apply to most people who have the Navigatr firmware, which only sends one format to the TV.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 You are exactly right, I have it set to AutoDVI/HDMI and I'm happy with that. But thanks for the tips, I'll do some experimenting. When I got my first flat screen HD TV the pictures were stretched until I went through a setup procedure for the SA8300HD and I've never changed it.

jtjames
I've been here awhile

Put this on full HD! I subscribed to this news package and I want to see this content as it was meant to be seen.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Since 2004, Rogers has not provided the service in HD - they choose for whatever reason - could be Fox, could be carriage costs, could be Canadian customer numbers (not US numbers), whatever reason, we get it in SD.

People went on and on about wanting an HD view, so Rogers compromised and changed the aspect, which some have said they like, others have not.

Keep asking for it, maybe it will come someday, but you are getting it as it meant to be seen - Fox provides SD and HD, and we have only the choice of SD - so as it is meant to be seen is actually in the smaller box, not increased to fit and magnified to fit on a full HD TV screen.

Keep asking, but since 2004, there has been no change.  Maybe it will come - who knows.  It is a corporate choice based upon factors that we can only guess on.

Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

The first step would be to offer Fox News as part of mandatory carriage along with CBC News, CTV News and CNN (available with most entry level packages). This is 2018 and the news networks should be balanced, not all left wing. Fox News is the most popular news network in the U.S. and ought to be of interest to Canadians.

Hey folks!

We heard your feed back loud and clear! I'm happy to share, starting today, we’ll be launching Fox News Channel in high definition (HD). With HD, the picture on the screen is clearer, less fuzzy and the text is easier to read. To enjoy the full HD experience we recommend watching the channel on an HD set-top box attached to an HDTV. 

There is no additional cost for HD if customers subscribe to the standard definition (SD) version of the channel.  Customers can see Fox News Channel HD on channel 181 or 1206 in New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Quebec and 181 in Ontario (excl. Hamilton).  Hamilton-Mountain customers can see the HD feed on channel 468.

Hope ya'll enjoy the experience!

RogersCilio

jtjames
I've been here awhile
Impressed, thank you!

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@RogersCilio wrote:

Hey folks!

We heard your feed back loud and clear! I'm happy to share, starting today, we’ll be launching Fox News Channel in high definition (HD). With HD, the picture on the screen is clearer, less fuzzy and the text is easier to read. To enjoy the full HD experience we recommend watching the channel on an HD set-top box attached to an HDTV.

That's great news for those who subscribe to the extra cost news package. Not so much those of us who just get CNN, the third most watched U.S. news channel after Fox and MSNBC. Looking for more balanced news from the U.S.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
That is great news! keep up the good work Rogers Cable and thanks for listening to your customers concerns

alphavortex
I plan to stick around

Not sure what you're talking about... Fox News is still in SD.  It's sad how corporate media is trying to brainwash people.  I have to pay $4/mo. to get SD... When things are moving to 4k?  HD is standard... give me a break -_-

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@alphavortex : Channel 181, Fox News is HD here in uptown Toronto, I just checked.  Perhaps there is an issue with your particular head end as I read in another forum that others are also seeing SD. What is your location. Have you called or chatted reporting the problem?

Topic Stats