cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Update: The new firmware has now been deployed across the network. Customers who received a modem with the old firmware will be updated automatically within 48-72 hours. There is no need to submit your MAC Address & Cable Account Reference number as the update will happen automatically.

This only applies to the CGN3ACSMR.

Announced as of the evening of Thursday 28 May, a firmware update to address the League of Legends issue is close to deployment. Updates are available as indicated in the message below from CommuntyHelps
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hello Community

Good news! We have received a firmware patch from Hitron that resolves the connectivity issue with League of Legends and we’re working on deploying it to all. In the meantime, we can provide the update directly to those who contact @CommunityHelps via private message and provide the following information:

-Cable account reference number(12 digits beginning with “2”)

-MAC address of modem (12 digits found on the back of your Hitron modem)

Modems will be updated during nightly maintenance windows so you can expect to see the update take effect within 48 hours.

Thank you for your patience.

Original post:  #176

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/18/thread...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note that this update addresses the League of Legends issue as well as the latency issue observed when pinging the modem. This should also address latency issues through the modem which is good news for anyone who games, not just with LOL, or who runs a time or latency intolerant application. 

The firmware solution that addresses the latency issue will also be applied to the next firmware updates for the CGN3 and CGN3AC, however there is no timeline as of yet for release dates for those modems. 

The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

------

Edited to add the below info:

If you send in your request during the day or early evening, you will probably see the update pushed out either very late in the evening or during the overnight maintenance period.  If not, then it should be pushed out no later than the next night.  The update will install regardless of the operating mode of the modem, Gateway or Bridge mode.

You can tell if you have the latest firmware by logging into the modem to check the firmware version or simply pinging the modem.  The old version is 4.4.8.13.  The new version is 4.5.8.16

If you are connected directly to the modem with the modem in Gateway mode, you can log into and ping 192.168.0.1   If you are connect to a router with the modem in Bridge mode you can log into, and ping 192.168.100.1

Here is an example of what you see with the previous 4.4.8.13 loaded:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 6ms

Note the random ping times and average of 6 ms.

Here is the ping test after 4.5.8.16 is pushed out:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 1000

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 1ms

Note that the average ping time to the modem drops from an average of 5 to 6 ms down to 1 ms.  Its not perfect as there are still random high ping times in the double digits, but its still a very good improvement.

There are two bugs in this updated version:

1.  The wifi is all or nothing.  You either have to have both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks running, or both disabled.

2.  The firmware doesn't appear to save the enabled / disabled state for the wifi, so, if the power goes out at some point, when the modem fires up, there is a mismatch between what the wifi is actually doing, ie, on or off, and what the user interface indicates.  The way around this is to first save a backup file for the modem.  Navigate to ADMIN.....BACKUP and use the Backup button to create a backup file somewhere on your pc.  Do this when you have the modem settings configured to your preferences.  If the power ever goes out, run a factory reset by pressing the reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and releasing it.  You can also initiate a reset from the ADMIN....DEVICE RESET page.  After the reset and reboot, reload the backup file using the ADMIN....BACKUP page, and then reboot.  Problem solved.

The all or nothing issue has been resolved for the next firmware release.

181 REPLIES 181

Re: *** CGN3ACSMR - League of Legends – latency: firmware release pending

CX2DUBCAKES
I plan to stick around
Ok..seems to be fine.will monitor. Sorry for false alarm.

[in reply to Datalinks post on pg. 4]Awesome. Thanks alot! Any idea when the next release will be coming? Cheers

Okay - so i've been testing this gateway in my house, and I have to say this is a pretty usable device once you have it configured and the kinks ironed out. Probably the first actually usable gateway since the SMC8014WG. I'm impressed. I have it in a somewhat unideal location - in my basement - and I am getting excellent range down there and on my main floor, and decent range on my second floor, and my home is bigger than average. I can imagine it would be even better if I was able to place it in an ideal location.

roofed
I plan to stick around

Just got this firmware today everything seems to be fine went to go and test it with twitch.tv streams and i can see a huge Difference in bandwidth flow it is a stable 600kbps "Source Quality" looking at a graph it looks like waves which is what it should look like also lantency seems to be alot better before it was 28ms now it was 12ms or less depends on the channel.

Also i now can see my time settings tab which i was not able to see before.

Tugen
I've been around

The firmware update stabilised my internet connecdtion when gaming. Constant disconnects are gone. I can confirm that in this case it also works for World of Warcraft, not just LOL.

Thanks for the speedy fix.

roofed
I plan to stick around

Not sure if this is a bug but i just had my power go out then come back and the modem turned back on with wifi turned on when it was currently turned off. I then logged in to the modem to turn it off but the status was set to off so then i tired to select the on button then save the lights went off then on this time with only the 2.4ghz light on logged back in to the modem then did a restart as no commands were responding. The modem did the same thing again turned both wifi 2.4ghz and 5ghz on i then logged in to the modem and this time it was set to the on status for 2.4ghz so i then selected off then saved and it did save So not sure what happned but the modem did not remember what it's current settings were.

skyzhaohao
I've been around

Hi, I have a CGN3ACSMR with software version 4.4.8.13 and hardware veriosn 1A. Just sent a fix request and waiting for the pushing. I just wonder how do i notice wether my modem is updated? and how to check my current firmware version? It took me a whole day to locate this post and really wanna say thank you for the effort, and hope this will end my nightmare.

CX2DUBCAKES
I plan to stick around
Easy as pie... In your Internet address bar. type in

This will bring you to your modem Web page. The username is cusadmin
password is password

You will see your firmware version on main page!

@roofed

I noticed that as well when I rebooted the ACSMR - ie when I first set it up, I turned Wi-Fi off and just had it connect to my ASUS router, because at that point i didn't have time for testing. When the system rebooted after the firmware update, I noticed the Wi-Fi on again (both bands). This may be attributed to the same bug I had posted about earlier, but Rogers said that is fixed in the next update. Anyways , the modem is still working decently for me.

roofed
I plan to stick around

Yeah the modem is working perfect just by simply doing a power cycle the modem forgets it's settings i wonder does this happen in bridge mode also? Well if they fixed it then they should push the next firmware update to fix this problem.

This is on 4.5.8.16

Yeah I wonder... I haven't used bridge mode in a while so maybe someone else can test that. Agreed - Rogers mods/REs can one of you comment on when the next FW will be out? This one is an awesome start but it would be great to see a mass release of a more stable one soon. Cheers

Hello @jackthecompguy and All,

Thank you all for liking the current beta release of the firmware, we will definitely announce the next release as it becomes available, we are grateful for your patience!Smiley Happy

Thanks,

RogersMoin

Killins
I've been here awhile

My issues with league of legends seem to be fixed.  Thanks for the help 🙂

razer
I've been around

I got the newest firmware pushed by "community help" and "Datalink". Thank for both of them!

I am actually not playing LOL, but BF4 and Crossfire. I got "hack tool found" error during the Crossfire gaming.

the old firmware was 4.4.8.13

the newest firmware fixed the problem, and now I can enjoy the games! thank you!

geoff890
I plan to stick around

This may be slightly off topic but does anyone know if this update fixes the NAT issues this modem causes on PS4?

Nope, unfortunately it doesn't.  I have raised the issue but haven't seen any response as of yet.  It looks like the solution for the PS4 is to downgrade to a CGN3.  But, you would lose the wifi 802.11ac capability, and you could end up with issues on the 2.4 Ghz network as well, depending on what devices you use on that network.  Have a look at the post #43 by @aries on the following page:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2184...

On paper, if you run a 2.4 Ghz network and rely on that network, the modem of choice should be the CGN3ACSMR, and here is why.

The CGN3 does not support mixed 20 Mhz / 40 Mhz wide bandwidth devices on its 2.4 Ghz networks. We have run into this before on the forum. To run higher data rates, routers and devices use channel bonding on 2.4 Ghz networks to run two 20 Mhz wide channels together and push more data. Most but not all routers support mixed environments where you have some devices that can do that and some that can't. The CGN3 does not support a mixed environment and it will throttle down to the slowest device on the network.  So if that happens to be a single channel device, then your dual channel laptops and tablets will only be able to use a single channel and as a result will appear to be running slower than what you would expect.  Laptops are typically dual antenna, dual data stream devices.  Other devices, including cell-phone and USB wifi dongles may only have a single antenna, therefore only support a single data stream. The CGN3 will lock down to single antenna, single data stream data rates if there happens to be a single antenna device operating on the network. Also note, the CGN3 is not certified for concurrent 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks. It is only listed as switchable on the Wifi Alliance certificate.

geoff890
I plan to stick around

For WiFi we use an ASUS RT-N66U so if I switch to the CGN3 I believe I should be fine. One more question though, am I better off putting the CGN3 in bridged mode and letting the ASUS do the DHCP, DMZ, Port Forwarding, etc. or should I leave the CGN3 in gateway mode and put the ASUS into Access Point mode?

No matter what, unless of course you want to use the 802.11ac on the Hitron CGN3ACSMR, you're better off bridging the modem and using the Asus router in full router mode. 

1.  Do you run the CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode now?  If not, can you try an experiment first.  Place it in Bridge mode and set the Asus router to run in full router mode.  Try the PS4 and see what happens.  If it works as it should, great, you will have saved a trip to the store.

2.  If #1 is successful, and more importantly, if it doesn't work, pm your modem Mac address and Cable Account Reference number to @CommunityHelps and ask for the firmware update for your modem.  Once that has been downloaded, modem bridged and router set to full router mode, run the PS4 again and see how that turns out.  If that works, that at least will confirm that the configuration of updated modem in bridge mode, with a follow-on router will work for PS4s.  

3.  If that is a no go, then exchange the modem for a CGN3.

If you pm your details today, @CommunityHelps should be able to have the firmware pushed out to your modem hopefully by the end of the upcoming evening.  Have a look at the first post in this thread for the details.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/253...

When you set the modem to run in bridge mode, the best thing to do with the router is a complete reset, so that you are starting with  a clean slate in terms of the router settings.

Have a look at post #57 of the following thread by @Dragus   It looks like the updated firmware will allow the PS4 to operate correctly with the modem running in Bridge mode.  This was just posted.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/258...

geoff890
I plan to stick around

1. I have tried the CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode with the ASUS router in full router mode. I also gave the PS4 a static IP and set it in the ASUS router's DMZ and still had the same issue with NAT. As far as I can tell with that setup the PS4 should have been getting NAT Type 1 (Open) but for whatever reason still recieved NAT Type 2 and caused many party chat issues.

2. Actually I already submitted my info to get the firmware update earlier today. Once I get it I will try bridging the modem again and putting the PS4 in the ASUS router's DMZ.

3. Assuming I get the update overnight tonight I will try what @Dragus said in the post you linked me to.

Looks like you're couple steps ahead of me.  After the download is completed and you're in test mode, can you try a couple of different configurations with the modem bridged and the Asus router running in full router mode:

1.  PS4 in a DMZ behind the Asus router; and

2.  PS4 running behind the Asus firewall with a static IP address assigned by the router and port forwarding enabled on the router. 

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Asus/RT-N66U/PS4.htm

If neither of those work, and assuming that you connect via ethernet, try connecting the PS4 to a second port on the CGN3ACSMR.  If it operates like the CGN3, you should be able to obtain an IP address from the modem and end up in effect in a DMZ behind the modem.  I don't recommend this configuration to anyone other than testing as the PS4 is not firewall protected, but it might be interesting to know if the PS4 would operate as expected.

geoff890
I plan to stick around
Unfortunately, I did not yet receive the update overnight last night so I will have to wait. And tomorrow I leave for vacation and don't return until the 21st so it may be a while before I can test it out properly. Also I was calling all the Rogers Stores in my area and no one seemed to have the CGN3 in stock so how would I go about getting that modem?
Topic Stats