cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone xs/xr/max esim support

Dean604
I plan to stick around

Hi

Looks like Rogers will have esim support for the series 4 watch - but I have not seen anything regarding esim support for the new phones -- Bell was highlighted but not a peep from Rogers.

Will Rogers support esims for the new iphones and if so, what is the ETA?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Iphone xs/xr/max esim support

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey Community!

As of April 24th we have launched eSIM support for eligible devices. In celebration of the launch I've closed this long thread in order to move the conversation over to Dual SIM/eSIM now availble for eligible iPhone XS, XS Max and XR devices.

Thank you for all your patience and participation here in the Rogers Community Forums.

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

75 REPLIES 75

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dean604

At this moment Rogers has not announced that the iPhone Xs or Xs Max will utilize the ESIM for the iPhone. They will for the watch since its the only sim for the watch.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dean604

Yeah Unfortunately only Bell is the one using ESIM for the phone it seems.. Rogers, Telus, Fido, Virgin and the rest will use sim slot instead. So i believe that Bell might have gotten a 30-90 days exclusive rights to do this just like they did with the Apple Watch 3 last year ( Telus started selling it in December which was brought to light that Bell did have a exclusive rights for it.).

If that's the case then we just have to wait.

Wazcal
I've been here awhile

Hi there, so I bought the new iPad Pro 11 inch today and when I called support to get the cellular service transferred from the nano sim on my previous iPad Pro 10.5 inch I discovered that despite the iPad Pro 11 inch only having an eSim, like the Apple Watch, I am told it is not supported by Rogers.

As such I had to cancel the service on my iPad since if I can’t use it, there’s no point paying for it.

very dissapointing especially as no one at Rogers or Apple said anything about this when I researched making the change. I was told it was easy to log into My Rogers and swap the service.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Wazcal

Unfortunately Apple DID say that only Bell in Canada would support ESIM during the Xs / XR announcements. If you pay attention to the Keynote back In September you would have seen this. The same can be for the iPad.

It seems like Bell had exclusive rights at this moment to use ESIM before any other carrier in Canada for the iPhone and the tablet.

The watches see different since Bell had the 60 days exclusive rights last year. So this year all 3 carriers got it at launch. ( Telus started using ESIM on the watches December 2017.)

Wazcal
I've been here awhile

ok so sorry for the confusion - after reviewing this with Apple Business here in Vancouver there is in fact a physical SIM in these iPads. cant believe i missed that myself but there you go - blind as a bat. Not sure why i was initially told only eSIM.

nasa25
I'm a trusted contributor
Yup.

iPads don’t have esims (even the new buttonless pros). Only the Xs and Xs Max have esim/dual sim functionality.

Kvince
I've been here awhile

any ETA on when Rogers can support esim for iPhones?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Kvince

Unfortunately no actual ETA has been given out. Telus is the same thing. Only Bell at this moment is supporting the ESIM function on the new iPhones.

Hopefully it gets enabled soon.

Re: Dual Sim Phone

jscw
I've been around

Do you have document/instruction to explain how to setup eSIM with my Rogers service?

I do have an iPhone with eSIM capability, but no one seems to know how to do it.

I tried both physical store and phone support.

@RogersMaude wrote:

The only phones that we will support for that particular feature will be iPhones with eSIM (and physical SIM).

john99999
I've been here awhile

So Rogers supports the esim, according to Apple's website.

When will we actually see it at Rogers?

Please Rogers, help us out! When can I switch to esim?

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/rogers-fido-esim-apple/

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hey @Felipetoronto & @john99999

Apple never actually announced Rogers supported it. Someone just added them 2 under the a list however not the actual carrier list. It could change and be removed or Rogers will be officially added soon. From the link that was posted on the above post

" Someone may have accidentally updated these pages prematurely. Apple’s support page for customers to “Find wireless carriers that offer eSIM service” still only lists Bell and Virgin"

Felipetoronto
I'm here a lot

went to a rogrers store downtown toronto. they said it's coming but not yet available.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Felipetoronto

Yes its coming but it could be in a few weeks or next month. Usually Bell always as a 90 days exclusive rights for many features / services and then the rest get it.

We shall see. Until then they may not share a ETA.

Hareen5
I'm here a lot
Yesterday apple updated their website it says rogers and fido are supporting e-sim. I think it will take couple of weeks for rogers to implement it . I just had a chat with rogers representative he said e sim is coming for iphones but they don’t know the specific date.

tekguy
I plan to stick around

Rogers is now officially listed on the Apple website now as carrier in Canada that offer eSIM for the new dual SIM iphones.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ht209096

Qubit
I plan to stick around
Any news as to when we could do the switch o esim? I plan to travel next week and it would be super convenient if I could have a Rogers esim and put another physical sim on my phone 🙂

Hello @Qubit!

At this time, you can only use a physical SIM card for your Rogers or Fido line and the eSIM can be used for another plan with another carrier.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Qubit
I plan to stick around

Hello Corey!

But isn't this precisely what's going to change when Rogers implements what apple arealdy annouced here? https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/rogers-fido-esim-apple/

According to this I should be able to have an eSIM for Rogers and then a physical SIM card for another foreign carrier.

Am I understanding this wrong?

tekguy
I plan to stick around
I'm going to blame Apple mostly for this one. Even when they announced eSim for Bell, it wasnt available at launch. But Roger's should have been more prepared for this update and the flood of questions to follow if this wasn't going to be available following the iOS update.
Topic Stats