cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eero iOS App Upgrade

DavidHH
I plan to stick around

Eero has issued an upgrade to its iOS App I think it is Version 3.3.1 and it now supports Apple Homekit which provides amongst other things increased security to your Router.

I have not been able to upgrade thru the App Store, and am starting to think the "Rogers" version of the Eero is "closed" to being updated.

Has anyone else discovered this?

DavidH

*** Edited Labels ***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Eero iOS App Upgrade

RogersTony

Hello, @DavidHH

We appreciate you making the Community aware of the new Eero software version that has become available for iOS. I know how important it is to ensure you have the latest versions especially when there are cool new features added.

We have successfully downloaded version 3.3.1 on an Rogers iPhone on our end. Can you confirm the model of iPhone you are using and the current iOS?

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

DavidHH
I plan to stick around

Tony, I have an iPhone Xs with the latest iOS Software 13.3.1 and my provider is Bell but my phone is "unlocked" as I bought it directly from Apple.

I deleted the Eero App and downloaded it again from the App Store with the same result. Version 3.17.0

Not sure what to try next.

DavidH

DavidHH
I plan to stick around

Tony, I think I found the problem but it cannot be fixed.

It says cannot update the Eero App to use HomeKit if the Eero Router is in Bridge Mode, which is the default configuration with Rogers.

(see this link https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036319531-How-to-use-HomeKit-with-your-eero-Network) See the question named "If you would like to add your eeros to HomeKit you must have the following:"

I guess I am unable to update to HomeKit which is disappointing.

DavidH

The alternative here is to kick the modem into Bridge mode and run the Eero system in Nat mode.  That's not a Rogers supported configuration, but, it shouldn't be any different than running with the modem in Bridge modem with a typical router behind it.  

You would need to set the current system wifi parameters in the Eero routers after kicking the modem into Bridge mode.  

The one problem that will come up is the modem's wifi channels which stay active even in Bridge mode.  For the 5 Ghz network, enable Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) in the modem when its still in Gateway mode.  Change the 5 Ghz channel to one of the DFS channels, but not any of the weather radar channels.  Those channels are seen here:

https://www.semfionetworks.com/blog/5ghz-band-channel-availability-in-canada

Change the 2.4 Ghz channel to a channel that you won't use.  

If you're near an airport weather radar, and using one of the channels that overlap with the weather radar, the presence of that radar will kick the modem's wifi network off of that channel, so, best advice is to avoid any of those channels.

Change the SSIDs for both 5 and 2.4 Ghz networks.

When that is done, kick the modem into Bridge mode.   The modem will still transmit wifi networks on the selected channels, but, as their parked out of the way, and using SSIDs that the set top boxes can't use, they shouldn't be an issue. 

Set the Eero router to run in Nat mode and ensure that the the SSIDs are set as required and that IPV6 is also enabled and set to run as per Rogers Native IPV6 requirements.  Typical settings for IPV6 can be found here:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238#M36710

Although this configuration isn't supported by Rogers, there's no reason that it shouldn't work.  Only caveat, if you run into issues, you need to be able to flip the modem back into Gateway mode, and flip the eero router back into Bridge mode. 

Are you using the modem's wifi at all, or just the eero pods for wifi?

DavidHH
I plan to stick around

While we are here discussing the Eero Devices with the Rogers Modem, I have a second question - Rogers offers 2 solutions to increasing your WiFi coverage at home a) Eero Router and b) Rogers Modem with Pods.

Is there an advantage to one over the other? With the new Rogers WiFi App it seems pretty easy to manage the Router and the Pods but Iam not sure how it performs vs the Eero. I am not even sure Rogers installs Eero Routers anymore?

Comments?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DavidHH wrote:

While we are here discussing the Eero Devices with the Rogers Modem, I have a second question - Rogers offers 2 solutions to increasing your WiFi coverage at home a) Eero Router and b) Rogers Modem with Pods.

Is there an advantage to one over the other? With the new Rogers WiFi App it seems pretty easy to manage the Router and the Pods but Iam not sure how it performs vs the Eero. I am not even sure Rogers installs Eero Routers anymore?

Comments?

I think that Rogers still can provide you with an eero mesh solution, if you ask for it and are willing to pay for it.  I believe that Pods are provided free of charge to provide good Wi-Fi connectivity to areas where set-top boxes are installed; there may also be a nominal charge if you need additional pods to expand coverage.

As for which is better or if you even need either, that depends on a number of factors including the size of your home and its construction.  Pods are low-power access points that provide local connectivity to small areas of your home and supplement the Wi-Fi capabilities of the XB6 gateway.  The eero Hub and Beacons cover a broader area with fewer devices and replace the XB6 gateway's Wi-Fi.

In most situations, I would expect that you would generally get better Wi-Fi speeds with the eero mesh... but that's not always the case.

The Pods integrate better with the Rogers hardware and apps, and if deployed correctly can probably provide you with better coverage to those hard-to-reach places in your home.  (You might get slower Wi-Fi speeds but better overall performance.)

As I pointed out in another thread, there is no one solution that will work best for everybody.  When choosing a solution, you need to consider the size of your home, its construction, and where you are able to place your XB6 gateway and pods/access points.  You also need to consider how many Wi-Fi-connected devices you have, where they are located, the power of their transmitters, and their connectivity requirements.

Most importantly, with any solution, you need to be cognizant of the things that will kill your Wi-Fi performance and keep these things in mind when selecting hardware and placing your Wi-Fi access points.

DavidHH
I plan to stick around

It appears that the Update is now available.

This morning my Eero App showed an update to version 3.18.1 and ask to update my Network. I downloaded the update directly in the Eero iOS App and then it went thru the installation and the updating of my Eero Network Hardware. Now when I go to the "Discover Tab" on the bottom of the Eero App it has an option to add Eero to my Apple Home Kit App. I have not gone thru this step as the Eero instructions says the Eero Router CANNOT be in Bridge Mode, but will report back once I try it.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation