cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device protection is fraud

wogus
I've been here awhile

I enrolled in device protection due to my tendency to drop my phone frequently. After dropping my phone, I sent it in for repairs under the protection plan, but when it was returned, no repairs had been made. Upon further investigation, I discovered that Rogers had registered a different phone under my device protection plan.

Rogers claimed it was my fault for not checking the IMEI when signing up. However, I’m confused about how Rogers could register a phone that I do not own for my device protection plan. If the phone wasn’t broken, I would end up with a random phone insured for the rest of my term. Despite filing a complaint, Rogers has not offered any apology or resolution.

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Device protection is fraud

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
It doesn't seem unreasonable if Rogers to expect you to have the correct device registered for the insurance. They more than likely registered the device you were using at the time you signed up for the insurance. If you have changed devices since then. It is on you to update the device the coverage should be on. You might also want to look into a protective case for your devices in the future as well.

wogus
I've been here awhile
Nope that was not the case purchased insurance after purchase the phone

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
Do you own the device that was on there instead if the one you tried to have repaired? One of the reasons I don't use these insurance plans is because the coverage is only for the active device on your line. That means, if your device is broken and you pop your SIM in another device to use while you setup a repair for the broken one. That device you just put your SIM in becomes the device the coverage applies to. You should always setup and file the claim before putting your SIM in another device to use.
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation