cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS keeps saying it can't send messages, it wants to switch to SMS

Mrcaspan
I've been here awhile

Been having an issue with RCS for like the last 3 months. I have a pixel 6a with the latest os and using Google Messages. Enhanced chat is turned on to use the RCS system. I am having issues that I will text message someone and the status says delivered. Then I got back an hour later wondering if it has been read yet to be met with a error that the message could not be sent. It then asks me if I want to send the message VIS SSM/MMS I say yes and the message sends. I have unlimited data and so does the person I am messaging. I do IT for a living and manage our fleet of Pixel devices so I have tried all the usual things like rebooting the device and making sure it's up to date. I have even wiped the messages app cleared the cache and reinstalled. I use to have a Pixel 5 and the same issue would happen there as well. When I got my new device I set it up from scratch to make sure no errors from the old device were copied over also

Why does it keep doing this and why does it not just auto switch over to SMS when RCS does not work. Half my messages will not send to random people randomly and it's not reliable at all. I have had to shut off RCS just so messages can be reliable again. Can someone at Rogers please explain what is happening and why it's doing this?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: RCS keeps saying it can't send messages, it wants to switch to SMS

Mrcaspan
I've been here awhile

NM I found the solution to my own problem. There is a setting on the Chat features section of the Messages App that says "Automatically resend as text (SMS/MMS)" Switch from chat if message cannot send I have no idea how this got turned off but ill tell you it was annoying as heck!! I just got a brand new phone and this was of by default and no setting were copied from my last phone!

Screenshot_20221015-193918.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersRahul

Greetings @Mrcaspan,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It could happen if the device is no longer registered for Rich Communication Services on the network. We'd be happy to investigate this further for you.

Are you currently connected to WiFi or data? Are you having trouble with both incoming and outgoing RCS? Can you confirm if the device is using the latest Android version and is using the latest Android Messages App?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
RogersRahul

Mrcaspan
I've been here awhile

NM I found the solution to my own problem. There is a setting on the Chat features section of the Messages App that says "Automatically resend as text (SMS/MMS)" Switch from chat if message cannot send I have no idea how this got turned off but ill tell you it was annoying as heck!! I just got a brand new phone and this was of by default and no setting were copied from my last phone!

Screenshot_20221015-193918.png

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 in conversation