cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent Blocked Calls From Going to Voicemail

Bncarroll
I've been around

I receive a number of calls from numbers that I don't recognize, so I block them. However, the continued calls are going to straight to voicemail. How can they be blocked entirely without filling my inbox?

**Labels Added**

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Prevent Blocked Calls From Going to Voicemail

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Your probably blocking them at the HANDSET level with a feature of your phones software or an app. Its just rejecting a call and the default of rejected or unanswered calls will always be your voicemail if equipped.

If you dont want it to reach voice mail you need to block it at the NETWORK level. Usually if its available its a paid add on but its not foolproof. Scammers can and have called back from a different number each time and the number you blocked is basically pointless and just fills up your black list and highly unlikely they will re use those numbers.

I've been here awhile

That's a really depressing answer!

Brandito
I've been around
How do I block at the network level.

I've been here awhile

Since the offending phone numbers are well known, it seems reasonable that Rogers would block them as a courtesy to their subscribers.  But that would involve Customer Service - which Rogers does not seem to provide.

Pete45
I've been around

Need Help! Going through very serious issue. Need to know how to get a cell number permanently blocked. The number is blocked but they can still leave voicemail. I've had the number for years and do not want to change it nor do i think its fair to have to change my number. I also need my voicemail so it is not possible to disable voicemail.
The issue is a very bad relationship. Had court order to stay away. But continually receive calls to voicemail. Yes I've went to police.

I need a way or option to get number permanently blocked from calling my phone and leaving voicemail. (Apple phone).

Does Rogers have technical support that can block a number on the network level?. I don't care if it costs extra money please tell me how much. Heard Bell / Telus can do this. So why can't Rogers?.. please provide possible solutions. Thank you!

Good day, @Pete45!

A warm welcome to our community forums and congrats on your first post! 🙂

Receiving unwanted phone calls or voicemail messages can be upsetting. When it comes to having an iPhone, even if you have gone ahead and blocked a specific phone number from calling you, they are still sent to voicemail and can leave a message. I regret to advise that we do not have a way to stop this from happening at this time. So sorry for any disappointment.

Changing your phone number would be the best way to solve your issue, however, I understand this option may not necessarily be a practical one in your case since you really want to keep your number. It does sounds like your situation is a very difficult one, so you may want to give this option some further consideration. 

You may find more information on phone number blocking on Apple's support page by clicking here.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Seriously? No way to stop it? You are making innocent users work harder than the people spam calling. Figure out a fix instead of apologizing, that would be time better spent

CVK
I've been around

Have you figured out a fix for this yet.  I keep getting a call from some guy who is calling someone I don't know. I told him he has the wrong number and he doesn't believe me. I have blocked his number but he leaves voicemail. I'm not changing my number - why should I?! 

I have put a complaint in with the police. But how do I block his number  from even getting to voice mail.... it's very annoying.  Rogers you got to fix this or give people options.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
my advice is this may take a while for providers to come up with a solution. if your using an android such as google pixel it has a call screen built right in which actually answers the phone call and a robot voice talks to the caller, this way there is no way they can leave a voice mail unless your phone is off or broken or out of service area.

another thing you can do is politely ask rogers to temporarily disable your voice mail. its 2021 do we really need voicemail in this day and age? when my friends calls me and cant reach me, he hangs up and sends me a text. no one leaves a voice mail

Mustachio
I've been here awhile

I'm getting spam calls from an unknown number every 2 minutes, and they're leaving empty voicemails.  I'm able to block the caller from the app, but they also still get to voicemail.  So basically, my voicemail is useless right now because it's constantly getting filled up by spam numbers.  I've spoken with an agent at customer service, and they said there's basically nothing they can do, and suggested getting a new number.

Like what kind of solution is getting a new number?  Rogers, give us the ability to prevent blocked callers from leaving voicemails.  8 or 10 years ago, I recall being able to manage this in my account settings in a web browser (for MyRogers) - I was able to block specific numbers, or even numbers from entire area codes, and they weren't able to leave voicemails.  What happened to this ability?  Bring this back please!  And don't let spammers get to my voicemail!

Klotar
I plan to stick around

There USED to be Android apps that answered between the first & second ring (after the CallerID was transmitted) and actually pick up and hang up the call to prevent the caller leaving voicemail.  Most times, you would not be able to tell you had a spam/blocked/blacklisted call.  Unfortunately, Google/Android no longer permits that functionality in newer versions of Android.   

However, there are also 3rd party voicemail applications (e.g. YouMail - if I am allowed to mention one by name) that you can install that replaces native voicemail.  You basically install the app, change your voicemail forwarding number from Rogers' default one (you have to call/chat  this in to Rogers, you can't do it yourself)  to a new voicemail number that is given to you and is in every major city, and then set up blacklist/unknown/blocked rules which can prevent undesired callers from leaving voicemail.

Klotar
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G | Android 12
Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 in conversation