cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 2 - IPv6 Tethering Failed

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

I have a Pixel 2 phone and have long had IPv6 tethering with it.  For some reason, I'm now only getting IPv4 when I tether to my phone.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Also, when it did work I had to use WiFi tethering, as USB was always IPv4 only.

tnx jk

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Pixel 2 - IPv6 Tethering Failed

RogersCorey

Greetings @JKnott!

Are you having any difficulties browsing or using data related services when this happens? I'm curious to know if the functionality of tethering is impacted by this.

I'd like to take a look at your account to make sure there aren't any issues with it that might be contributing to this.

Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

JKnott

No, everything works fine over IPv4.  The problem is IPv6 is no longer available for tethered devices.  The phone gets an IPv6 address though and that works.  There are 2 APNs listed on the phone, the same ones that are on this web site:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/rogers-apn-settings

When I first noticed the problem, neither was set on my phone.  When I tried either, they would not survive a reboot.  When I called support, they did a "network reset", after which the ltemobile apn would stick, but not ltedata.  If I select ltedata and reboot the phone, it goes back to ltemobile.  Also, yesterday, I was given another configuration to manually add, but that left me without IPv6 entirely and my phone got an IPv4 address 25.x.y.z, instead of the normal 192.0.0.4, which is used with 464XLAT, the protocol used to provide IPv4 over IPv6.

Bottom line, the prefix is not being passed to the phone for tethered connections.

BTW, this is more of a curiosity, but even when IPv6 tethering worked, it was only on WiFi.  It normally did not work over USB, though it could be forced.  Any idea why only a single /64 would be provided to a phone.  On IPv4, there are 2 separate /24 separate subnets for WiFi and USB connections.  Seems to me both should also get their own IPv6 prefix, given the IPv6 address space is so huge.  Either that or use only a single /24 IPv4 subnet and /64 prefix for both connections.

tnx jk

EhmTeeEhf

I re-read your message many times and I am wondering why you are using tethering instead of using your phone as a wifi Hotspot? If you are tethering to a piece of equipment that is considered non standard i would understand this.

Sorry the solution is what previous have said, i was just curious as to why you were using tethering.

JKnott

Sorry, when I say tethering, I could be referring to either WiFi or USB, though I haven't tried Bluetooth yet.  Regardless, the problem has been resolved, once I was able to speak to a support person, who knew what they were talking about.  Sadly, most Rogers support people do not fully understand the IPv6 services as offered by Rogers.  They know the general aspects but fall short on the finer details.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation