cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel- server error

Jules85
I've been around

Hey ya'll,
When I contact a certain number ( my boyfriend's) who have not blocked me, known through FB and in person concact, it says Server error and try again. Tech was useless and could not help 😞 anyone know how to fix this? Otherwise I'm out from Rogers. Thanks so much,
Julie

***Added Labels***

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Google Pixel- server error

RogersTim
Administrator
Administrator

Hey @Jules85

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for your post! 🙂 It's important to keep in touch with loved ones, so let's get this figured out.

We'll require further details to get started. 

1. First, do you have a Pixel 2 or 3? (ensure the OS is up-to-date)
  2. Are you using the default phone app or another app?
  3. Have you tried to disable WiFi Calling or VoLTE during your troubleshooting?
  4. Lastly, you mentioned you reached out to our Wireless Technical Support, they may have done a network reset. Have you rebooted your phone by completely turning it off for a minute and powering it back on since?

We look forward to your reply,

RogersTim

AndyZ2
I've been around

Server Error - Try Again Later:

I have had my Pixel 2 for about 3 years.  My phone is up to date as far as possible considering regular updates have ended for Pixel 2s.   Recently I have experienced two problems with my Pixel 2 phone: trouble dialing out and dropped calls.

The dropped call problem started first.  It seemed to occur when calls exceeded about 20-30 minutes.  Rogers Tech Support investigated but could not identify a problem.  Rogers performed network resets and the my phone was restarted.  Using WiFi calling was suggested which I enabled.  

At this time, the dialing out problem appeared.   The display indicates "dialing" but often dialing does not actually take place.  On a second attempt, successful dialing dialing will sometimes take place but usually the problem repeats.  The dialing out problem occurred at random times and for different phone numbers.  I then disabled WiFi calling. 

Then I started observing a "Server Error - Try Again Later" message.  If this message is displayed, subsequent  dialing attempts always fail and the error message repeats.

I did a soft phone reset.  Rogers installed a new sim card.  After about 30 minutes into the first outgoing call after the sim card was replaced, the call was dropped and the Server Error message appeared.

Appreciate any help in resolving these problems.

Good evening @AndyZ2,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for sharing the details of all the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. If the SIM card has already been replaced and you're still encountering the error, this may be a device specific issue. Is the VoLTE function turned off? Do you have another device you can test your SIM card in? Are the errors specific to a number or it's happening on all calls? 

Please keep us posted!

RogersZia

Same behavior here.  Pixel 1, using the stock phone app (Phone by Google v 67.0.383690429, updated 2021 July 13).  The error happened on (2021) August 5, August 10, and August 15 so far.  Different times of day.  Phone has been restarted, phone has also been shut down and  booted.  Phone app cache has been cleared.  All three drops were on outgoing calls to three different numbers but all previously no issues - two numbers were local exchanges and one was another province.  The error happened occurs about two minutes into the call and lasts for about two minutes.  During the error, I can't make a call to anyone.  The cell service icon appears to be on.

Hello and welcome to the Community @titaniumsamurai,

We'd definitely like to help you with this issue. Can you please confirm if you are you using the default phone app or another app? Have you tried to disable WiFi Calling or VoLTE during your troubleshooting?

I realize you've already rebooted your phone but can you please reset the network settings as well? Have you had a chance to speak to our technical support team?

RogersZia

MOVIEGOD
I'm here a lot

I am having the EXACT same problem, repeatedly, and I thought it was the Google Phone, so it's a ROGERS issue????? grrrrrrrr. 

I have a Google Pixel 2, waiting for the 6XL to come out and I ALMOST bought the 5 because of this.

F_Lalonde
I've been around

Same issue here and it's clearly not an issue with the phone.  Feels like programmed obsolescence .....

royseb
I've been here awhile
I started having the exact same problem and I noticed the battery started draining very fast around the time the dropped calls started

MOVIEGOD
I'm here a lot

I continue to have this issue, randomly dropped calls, then connecting a call takes a lonnnnnnnnnnng time, if I do not get the "server error" message. 

Glad that Rogers is trying to help out,,, #NOT. 

Very disappointed. I Have 7 lines with Rogers, think I am going to take my business elsewhere

Hey @F_Lalonde@royseb, @MOVIEGOD

Welcome to the community! We do appreciate and value our customers and thank you all for your patience. 

It can be difficult dealing with a persistent issue but we definitely do want to try and assist you further .

Have you had a chance to review @RogersZia post above?
Can you confirm a few things for us? 
1. When the calls are dropping are you using Wi-Fi calling or VoLTE?
2. Are you using any other calling apps or the default phone app? 

Looking forward to your reply
RogersJermaine

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

Been a while since I've checked the Community Forums - I too am having the issue as others have noted. I thought it was just my device, but yeah it seems like something else is going on here if others are experimenting the same issue.

My device is a Pixel 2 Android 11 - running the current default dialer and carrier settings "app"

While the issue is repeating, I haven't been able to determine the exact steps - what others like @AndyZ2 have details seems to relate to myself too.

It happens both WiFi Calling and on cellular, including VoLTE. And it will just drop out and give the server connection error or the when I tap dial after selecting a number/contact, it will just blank - for some time and sometimes it will connect to dialing, others it won't.

Once I get the server connection error, I can't dial out or receive calls - all I can do is power cycle the device. This will often fix the issue, but sometimes it doesn't.
Seems an idle thing - the longer the phone is left un-cycled, the higher the probability of it having server connection issues or delayed/not connecting at dial.
Could be 30 minutes, could be 12 hours. And can sometimes result in more processing heat build-up in the handset.

But with others having the issue, I'm now doubtful its hardware related. I'm almost certain it something with the carrier settings "app" and/or how it communicates with the Rogers servers.

b-ry

I'm even getting SMS and RCS messages getting marked as unsendable. It will often allow resending in a little while, but it's a huge pain.

I cannot speak for everyone here, but surely I am not alone in feeling this response was a little cookie cutter... auto-generated... cut & paste... and even a little bit insultingly placating. 

royseb
I've been here awhile
Could be, just sac nobody replied my question though. Still having those dropped calls.

I am sure you can expect another auto generated response in 5 to 7 days..... it takes that long for the Rogers Bot to get around to addressing concerns from people who don't have the latest phone. 

I will say it again, I have SEVEN lines with Rogers and they quite honestly couldn't care less, but if I bought seven new phones, I'd get a response in SECONDS. 

Honestly and truly disappointing how little Rogers cares about customer service

royseb
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the cue. Just disappointed. Very sad. In any case, I'm not a bot and would like help of possible... Thanks in advance

Hello, Community. 

Thank you all for your patience while we figure out the root cause of the problem. The server error message could be related to the essential services running in the background not being able to establish a connection. 

The Pixel 2 devices reached the end of the lifecycle as of October 2020. It’s not guaranteed, but when was the last time your device received the OS/security update?

Recently, we noticed certain LG devices running a previous version of the Google app were not able to make/receive calls. The fix was to update the app to the latest version. 

Let us know the last update your device received and the troubleshooting you have done so far. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Peter52
I've been here awhile

Oh dear!  I just discovered this thread after a quick search.  Given the the flurry of recent reports of this issue and the almost identical experiences, this would seem to be a real, and widespread problem.  My wife and I are having the exact issues that others in this thread have described:  we both have Pixel 2 phones (one of them brand new last week), latest OS updates and security updates in place, VoLTE turned off, etc. etc., yet we are experiencing dropped calls, especially if the calls are of length (20min+), requiring multiple attempts to dial out, and the 'network error; try again' message.  This is a big problem for us, as these are work phones that are essential for tele-health services.  I hope this issue is being addressed.  We've been customers for 20 years.

Peter52
I've been here awhile
I should have mentioned that my wife's phone is brand new because we thought her old phone's (also Pixel 2) antenna was defective, given the frequency of dropped calls. I'm now thinking the old phone was fine and that this truly is a network issue. BTW, we both use the default android phone app.

b-ry

It shouldn't matter that the Pixel 2 is "not supported" by Google anymore - its still using the same protocols Rogers (and other carriers) require all other phones to use.

Given that so many users are having the issue with all versions of the Pixels, and LG phones, this isn't a device problem. Its like the phone says, server error.

Are others still having the server error issue in November 2021? FWIW, my Pixel 2 appears to be connecting better now for calls - haven't had any server errors for a while now (mind you I haven't been on the phone much)

I'm still getting some SMS/RCS could not send issues - but re-sending those seems to work OK.

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 12 in conversation