cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM radio receiver

TheDuke
I'm here a lot

I have a new Samsung 5S NEO...my old phone had FM radio, and I miss it...

1) How do I get FM on this phone...

2) it's a NEO, so I'm sure there are other acessories to make other BP and things work, but the Rogers reps don't know about them...and I'm a newbie...if anyone can help directing me to them I would really appreciate that.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: FM radio receiver

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @TheDuke

When ever you use the app, it will use your data unless you are using another device connected to a other data source. So if you are away and using the app to listen to the radio then use it will as its connected to your data bucked UNLESS as explained you are connected via WiFi network and your data is off.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @TheDuke

You can download Tunein which requires either data from Rogers or WiFi to work but will give you all the radio channels you are looking for which include all FM radio channels. There isnt a FM chip in this device so there is no other way getting FM radio other then downloading a app.

Also you can see if the Radio stations you listen to have any apps which you can download but again any Radio apps will use Data.

Re: FM radio reciever

Newbie question...and there will b others...LOL

What does "uses data" mean...will I eat my data plan listening to FM radio...OR

Do I use up my data plan downloading the app...

I have wi-fi in my house, how can I take advantage of that to listen/download without using up my data...

I'm confused...LOL

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @TheDuke

No worries!. It will use data from the data bucket you got from Rogers. So lets say you got 1GB from Rogers, it will start using data from that unless you are on WiFi network at home or at a coffee shop.

You can just log into the app & it will work automatic

Re: Radio FM

I tried to download the app, but it wants my yahoo or gmail account info...is that normal...

I do have wi-fi at home...I just figured out how to connect to it...LOL

Guess my question is the same...does it use my "data bucket" when I'm listening to radio stations away from home, or just when I download the app initially...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @TheDuke

When ever you use the app, it will use your data unless you are using another device connected to a other data source. So if you are away and using the app to listen to the radio then use it will as its connected to your data bucked UNLESS as explained you are connected via WiFi network and your data is off.

Hello @TheDuke

When you are not on Wifi, you are using Data. (Assuming your device is requesting data).

Unless you turn off data.

Data off and not connected to Wifi will have the app not work as it requires a type of internet connection.

The app @Meowmix have suggested is a "Streaming FM" app. Which means it requires connection to the internet when being used.

Both Wifi and Data are type of connections that connect to the internet. So either works.

To answer your question, Yes, 'data bucket' is used when listening to radio away from home/not on wifi. Keep in mind, Wifi can be found outside your home at coffee shops, library, mall etc... so you can use other Public Wifi networks when you are at the mall or other places to avoid usage from 'Data Bucket'.

Hope that helps.

Bummer...I guess I will have to keep my old Galaxy Ace II around a little longer, just so I can have my FM stations without using up my data plan...

I was just reading an article on this subject that says all smartphones are FM capable, but the service providers are blocking it...there is a lobby going on in the US...Verison is the only holdout to making FM a free part of smart phone ownership according to the article...not sure how or if that will affect us here in the great white north...

Thanks for the help...I appreciate it...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @TheDuke

I have heard the same but it's not just the carriers blocking it.. There are set agreements which both the carriers and manufactures do agree on to have it disabled. Thus why we are stuck the way we are.

I have heard the same but not for Canada though. Hopefully we see something soon!.

I am hoping for some positive movement from rogers in regards to an update to enable the fm chip in phones like the S7. This was done by many of the US major carriers and I am hoping that rogers will follow in their lead. I had this feature on my retired Q10 and found it a very reliable tool of both entertainment and public alerts.

John

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Johhny55b

Unfortunately they are saying it's something to do with the manufacturer disabling it. You won't get a answer on here Sadly.

Any updates? I heard Rogers have allowed users to 'unlock' the FM chip. Can this be done on the phone, or is a trip to a Rogers store necessary? Thanks!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Tethered65

Where did you hear this? Rogers has not announce anything like this as i have searched and nothing has come up. Nor has any carrier pushed a update out for this.

If Rogers would have enabled this, it would have been enabled via a software update pushed to your device.

If the device is unlocked from another region, then yes it will work but not a device that is locked to Rogers.

Rogers refusal to activate FM Radio chip harms the hearing impaired.

Please note that people with hearing loss are being  "handicapped"  again by Rogers. Rogers can, but refuses to, activate the FM Radio Chip on phones which use their service. The FM Radio function allows people with hearing loss to access sound in certain theatres, for example, that stream the sound track over internal FM stations. This is old tech, to be sure, but not all cinemas, theatres, schools, lecture halls are up to date with Bluetooth technology that streams directly into hearing aids and wireless earbuds. You are free to download an FM Radio app, but it will not function on any Rogers phone because the dead chip will not allow the app to work. Again, it is Rogers that refuses to activate the chip.  Rogers cites "business" reasons for not allowing the activation of the chip. I disagree with this position. 

Greetings and welcome to our Community @ALLaccess!

This is up to the device manufacturer and third-party vendor of the app. Rogers recommends to device manufacturers that FM radio capabilities should be enabled where available. The final decision to enable or disable remains solely with the device manufacturer.

As device manufacturers move away from the standard 3.5 mm headset jack (also used as an antenna for the FM radio) to USB-C only, integrating an FM Radio antenna in the connector could be challenging if there are no USB-C standards defined to support it.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 in conversation