cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone please help me figure out how to get wi-fi calling working?

Newbie1004
I'm here a lot

Good day Rogers Community, thanks for reading this message. Wi-Fi callling has been working fine since back at home, Canada. Currently traveled to china and it stopped working altogether, I have a samsung phone. All help, suggestions, thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

***Edited Labels***

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Could someone please help me figure out how to get wi-fi calling working?

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
There are a lot of things that could impact WiFi Calling working. Most common is, the speed of the WiFi network the device is connected to. What device and model number of the device are you using? Have you tried a Network Reset along with a WiFi and Bluetooth reset?

Thank you so much for your response. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work : (

Yes to all your questions, I tried network reset along with a WiFi and Bluetooth reset, I even tried using a VPN, I tried changing DNS settings. I tried rebooting the phone, I tried clearing cache in recovery to no avail.

The phone is a SM-S908W Galaxy S22 U

Any other ideas? Thank you!

LordDrakkon
It's a W model number but running U firmware? Which U firmware is important. Yeah, the hardware for all U, U1, and W models are exactly the same, which is why the firmware are interchangeable but depending on the carrier configuration for that U firmware. That might potentially be the issue. U1 firmware is always preferred on the W models in my personal opinion. Have you checked with Rogers to make sure your account is correctly provisioned for VoLTE, VoWiFi and VoNR?

Appreciate your reply a lot again.

To answer your question. It is a Canadian SM-S908W running stock SM-S980W firmware. I think it is XAC multi CSC running RWC CSC. It is on the latest firmware.

All services were working prior to leaving our home, Canada. Yes I did contact Rogers and they confirmed everything looks good at their end in regards with everything you mentioned.

Are there known issues with having this working in china reported by customers or other forum members? I forgot to mention from my last reply that I tried multiple Wi-Fi networks too some withh Gigabit speeds too and it still doesn't work.

Unfortunately there is another issue which is after the network reset, it seems like the feature can't get activated anymore at all, it is stuck on requesting service after the sms verification, I heard that is common and why it was advised activate Wi-Fi calling before leaving Canada which I did but the network reset brought it back to where it started.

Guess I need to be back in Canada to even have this feature activated again? I also tried a VPN to no avail.

All thoughts are welcomed, thank you for your help!

LordDrakkon
It is possible to block WiFi Calling from working on a WiFi network. This is commonly done on aircraft and cruise ship WiFi networks as an exam. If everything seems like it should work and the only that has changed is the country you are in. It might have to do with the configuration of the WiFi Network you are connecting to or even the ISP. As an example, Comcast in the US blocks WiFi Calling on T-Mobile and Verizon devices but allows AT&T's to work fine. China also is a communist country. WiFi Calling might not be allowed there. I don't personally know what the laws are there but the country very heavily censors everything over there in every way they can.

True true, miss Canada already for that fact alone. I tought so they would block but I thought using a VPN will solve that and/or changing DNS will too until I learned that Wi-Fi itself uses its own VPN to establish the connection? Is that true? Sadly, it does seem like I have to return back to Canada to get this working again, oh well.

LordDrakkon
DNS changes are not enough for it to work. A lot of VPN's still leak info as well, so those aren't always the best solutions either. I have used WiFi Calling in the past with VPN Unlimited but that was a few years ago and only to prove a point. Try some different VPN's out that have free trials. Free ones like SurfShark are not going to be worth bothering with.

Ah I see, learned something new today, thank you. That said though, I did try multiple VPNs as well, yes tried a few premium ones of which with trials to no avail, to be honest this is more stress than anything and I will just leave it for now.  Unless you have something else to suggest me to try, I am all ears.

Cuz after the resetting of network settings, I lost the functionality altogether, can't activate at all. I searched that precise issue up and apparently it is common that Canadians are not able to activate Wi-Fi calling outside of Canada.

However, once it is activated before leaving Canada, it should work outside of Canada but in my case it is both not activated and not working, although it was activated prior to the network reset.

LordDrakkon
Wifi Calling can be activated outside of Canada but only in the US as far as I am aware. Rogers has no ability to access roaming partner networks in the same way it can access its own and AT&T's network in the Aus. You should be able to reprovisioj the device through a VPN, if needed, but you will need to receive that text over cellular. Multiple VPN's would probably not be recommended to try and use WiFi Calling. Certain types of encryption on VPN's will also interfere with WiFi Calling. A VPN that can trick Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services well enough to play US content when not in the US should work fine. That is mostly what I use my VPN for because most Canadian content isn't worth watching. If you don't have any luck getting it to provision VPN's to Canada. Try a US based VPN connection in California.

Appreciate your continued effort to assist me with this matter.

That is a good advice, fortunately I was able to receive the Rogers text message through roaming in china though I think it was china unicom. Just that after I enter it in, Rogers accepted it but then phone is stuck on requesting service, so clearly there is something blocking it, hence I am guessing also the reason why when it was fully activated before leaving Canada and before the network reset, it never worked afer entering this country. I heard Wi-Fi calling itself uses its own VPN to establish the connection though, is that correct? If so, why is that? 

I tried multiple VPNs, unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate any VPN working in china that has a US server, the only one that works so far that even lets me go on Rogers to submit the question and the reply (apparently Rogers and the community forums is blocked too here in china for some odd reason I assume) is a Japanese one. Glad I found it though because I guess that is a good start. 

NordVPN and ExpressVPN both claim to be working in china by multiple sites but they do not, I assume they are all just affiliated links. 

Thanks a bunch!

LordDrakkon
Wifi Calling does use a VPN for a coue of reasons. The first is, to try and secure calls from being listened in on and for user privacy. The other is because it connects to Rogers servers amd Rogers has to try and protect those servers from being compromised in any way.

For sure! Glad to hear there are some measures in attempt to protect user data.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 2 in conversation