cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and RCS while Roaming

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

With data roaming disabled and connected to WiFi and using WiFi Calling (through the phone dialer) trigger a Roam Like Home day charge?
Additionally, while connected to WiFi or data via a second local SIM, will RCS messages (in or out) trigger Roam Like Home?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: WiFi Calling and RCS while Roaming

RogersMoin

Hello, @b-ry.

Thank you for posting your queries in the community. 

With data roaming disabled and connected to WiFi and using WiFi Calling (through the phone dialer) trigger a Roam Like Home day charge?

It should not trigger the Roam Like Home charge as long as it's a Canadian number. Also, please make sure to have Airplane/Flight mode ON along with Data Roaming OFF. 

Additionally, while connected to WiFi or data via a second local SIM, will RCS messages (in or out) trigger Roam Like Home?

RCS may not work when connected to a certain WiFi/Cellular network. Irrespective of RCS or simple text messages to Canadian numbers, as long as you have WiFi calling and Airplane/Flight mode ON along with Data Roaming OFF, it should not trigger the Roam Like Home charge. 

Excerpt from our support page:

Click here for details

How is WiFi Calling billed when I am travelling outside of Canada?

If you are using WiFi Calling while outside of Canada, the following will be deducted from your airtime and messaging limits included in your wireless plan without incurring any long distance or roaming charges:

• Incoming calls and messages received from anywhere in the world
  • Outgoing calls and messages made or sent by you to a Canadian number

Roaming and/or long distance charges will vary depending on the roaming option you have on your account:

Roam Like Home

• If you have Roam Like HomeTM, outgoing WiFi calls or messages made to a non-Canadian number will incur the Roam Like Home daily charge. If you have already incurred this charge, then all outgoing WiFi calls and messages made or sent within that 24-hour period will be covered under the initial Roam Like Home charge.
  • Outgoing WiFi calls made to a non-Canadian number outside the destination you are roaming in will incur applicable long distance charges in addition to the Roam Like Home daily charge.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RogersMoin

Hello, @b-ry.

Thank you for posting your queries in the community. 

It should not trigger the Roam Like Home charge as long as it's a Canadian number. Also, please make sure to have Airplane/Flight mode ON along with Data Roaming OFF. 

RCS may not work when connected to a certain WiFi/Cellular network. Irrespective of RCS or simple text messages to Canadian numbers, as long as you have WiFi calling and Airplane/Flight mode ON along with Data Roaming OFF, it should not trigger the Roam Like Home charge. 

Excerpt from our support page:

Click here for details

How is WiFi Calling billed when I am travelling outside of Canada?

If you are using WiFi Calling while outside of Canada, the following will be deducted from your airtime and messaging limits included in your wireless plan without incurring any long distance or roaming charges:

• Incoming calls and messages received from anywhere in the world
  • Outgoing calls and messages made or sent by you to a Canadian number

Roaming and/or long distance charges will vary depending on the roaming option you have on your account:

Roam Like Home

• If you have Roam Like HomeTM, outgoing WiFi calls or messages made to a non-Canadian number will incur the Roam Like Home daily charge. If you have already incurred this charge, then all outgoing WiFi calls and messages made or sent within that 24-hour period will be covered under the initial Roam Like Home charge.
  • Outgoing WiFi calls made to a non-Canadian number outside the destination you are roaming in will incur applicable long distance charges in addition to the Roam Like Home daily charge.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

Thanks!

The aeroplan mode tip is a good one, didn't think about that one - remove all possibilities of cellular transmission!

Saskey
I plan to stick around

So to be clear, if I am out of country with Airplane Mode turned on and WiFi calling enabled, I can receive and send calls to and from Canada with no charges, but if I call WITHIN that other country, then Roaming charges apply?

Thanks.

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
Yes, because WiFi Calling treats every call and text as if you are in Canada, even when you are not.
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation