cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo identification required to enter a store?

Craigkatie
I've been here awhile

Is photo identification now required to enter a Rogers store?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Photo identification required to enter a store?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I went to return two modems last week after migrating to IgniteTV, they asked me to show photo ID before they would let me in the store.  I'm not sure what would happen if you didn't have it, but since you need some form of ID to do almost anything in the store, I can understand them asking.

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor

Seems a bit over the top to me.  Is this a requirement in all stores or just this one individual store?  I can understand needing ID to set up or change a service,  But if you are just looking for general information requiring photo ID seems a bit autocratic.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes it also seems a bit over the top to me too.  There could be different reasons for this, but none of us know because most members here are not rogers employees, were customers just like you.  Second of all, there are some Rogers stores that exist which are not owned by rogers they are third party Authorized Dealers.  They are allowed to sell and service rogers products but they have their own private ownership. think of them as a small business.   Because they are dealers, they can set their own policy

Yes it sounds ridiculous, but if you do not like any policy a store does, you have the right as a consumer to  write to the corporate head office if its a corporate store, or write to the Dealers head office if its a third party dealership and explain your frustration to the correct people responsible for these policies.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Article on the topic from today.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rogers-door-screening-id-1.6574730

I see someone misinterpreted the policy as "carding"...

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/customer-accuses-rogers-of-enforcing-discriminatory-carding-policy-after-...

However, the company says “several measures have been put in place over the last few years to improve safety in the stores, including enhanced door screening policy. Corporate policy requires only one government-issued ID to be shown before entering some of our locations.”

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation