cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Service Suspension

Kawhi2
I've been here awhile

I have been suspended by Rogers for using their internet service couple of times this month and they said I had malware on my computer. They told me to take the computer to technicians to check and install antivirus program. I did what they told me but I got suspended again after one week. I explained to them I did spend my time to take the computers to others to check and install the antivirus. I also setup the firewall and anti malware program on my router to check if there any attack on my connection every day. I asked them if they have any way to help me to solve the problem but they never provide other solution and ask me to find it by myself and force to agree if any malware attack on my connection and I have to get suspended again. A week after until today, I just woke up and I found my service suspended again. I called them they said they had to suspend my service for a week. I explained to them I need internet to access my home phone, to pay my monthly bill even I have to pay Rogers monthly bill. I don’t have a home phone so I went one Rogers store near to my home to borrow a phone to call their technical support. But this time their technical support’s attitude was so terrible and ignore my need. I also explained i had my old family member at home to make a call when I am out to work. They ignored it and I requested them to transfer my call to their manager. But I can’t believe that their manager is more terrible than their other technical staff. His name is Vino( he never provided me his full name). I asked him a lot of questions but he never willing to answer me and stop talking. At the end, he just hanged up my call. I have been using Rogers service for more than ten years but their service is much worse than what it was before. Now I can’t do anything at home sending email to others for my job. I even had to stay at home to take care of my family because no home phone to use. I am so disappointed and frustrated that big famous company such as Rogers can ignore what their customer need and I hope others who consider using Rogers make sure you have a backup for your service before using their service. Their customer support will ignore your need because of their unreasonable policy. At the end I still have to find a way to pay that terrible service By myself.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internet Service Suspension

Ok, here's a few things to check:

Firewall: All on this General Tab

General:

Enable Firewall:  Yes

Enable DoS protection: Yes

Logged packets type:  Dropped

Respond ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN:  No

IPv6 Firewall:

Enable IPv6 Firewall:  Yes

You're using the latest stock firmware version for the 68U.  I suspect that the .385_1000 is a new branch or milestone for that firmware.  Asus started a complete rewrite of their firmware versions about 2 years (?) ago. And they’ve been updating the firmware, adding new functions and correcting there previous mistakes since that rewrite began.  Hopefully they haven’t screwed something up with this latest branch.  Fwiw, I usually run a complete factory reset when I update my 68U or 86U.  I'm running Merlin's Asuswrt on both.   Running a complete factory reset should ensure that if for any reason, the router was corrupted somehow, that you would return the router back to factory defaults when the factory reset was completed.  After that, I set the router up from scratch and don't use a settings reload. 

Go thru all of the settings in the left hand General group of the main menu, and disable or turn off anything and everything that you know that you're not using and have no intention to use.  So, you'll have to drill down into all of the sub-tabs to check and disable anything that you're not using. 

There was an issue with the Asus app not so very long ago where use of the app left the router wide open.  As far as I know that issue should have been resolved some time ago, but, personal opinion, I caution against its use. 

There is a setting in Merlin's Asuswrt titled "Disable Asusnat tunnel" which is used by IFTTT devices or Alexa or ASUS application on cell phones.  I don't remember if that setting is available in the stock firmware.  If it is, and you don't fall into any of the above categories, disable the tunnel.

When all of the changes have been made, reboot the router.

Fwiw, if you loaded Merlin's firmware version and installed a USB flash drive on the router you could load some of the add-ons which have been developed in addition to Merlin's Asuswrt.  That includes Skynet for IP and country blocking, Diversion for add-blocking and others.  I run Skynet and Diversion on my 86U, which work very well for country and add-blocking.

What are you using for a Domain Name Server, Rogers or other service?  OpenDNS does have filtering capability, as does Quad 9.  If you set up a freebie account with OpenDNS and load a DNS Updater program, you can set the account to filter subject types and countries as well.  If any device on your network attempts to access a site for the filtered category or country, you will see an OpenDNS Warning page that the site is filtered.  Quad 9 does not require an account.  There are also Safe Search DNS options as well, which don't require an account of any type.  These are a food for thought idea when it comes to keeping your network devices out of trouble by preventing them from accessing corrupted sites.

The purpose of those sites is to prevent any device on your network from navigating to a known malware site, and others, which will hopefully prevent your network devices from being taken over by malware.  The DNS won't halt a hard coded address however.  That's where Skynet comes into play as you can set the blocking for inbound, outbound or both.  If any address falls into the ranges specified in  Skynet, that address can be blocked for two way communication. 

Skynet can also be used to watch for traffic from all devices or specified devices, so it can help to track down an errant device.

Here's the link to the SNBForum Asuswrt-Merlin page:  https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

Are you running IPV6 by any chance?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RogersZia

Good evening @Kawhi2,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I understand that loss of service can be quite challenging. Especially in the situation you've described above. Viruses or Malware can be incredibly tricky to deal with. As part of our steps to ensure our customer's and our network is protected we take measures to ensure our customer's are notified of any such vulnerability. There are circumstances certainly where service can be suspended to ensure the vulnerability doesn't become an issue for you as a customer or to our network. We do recommend ensuring a professional is enlisted to assist with the removal and repair where necessary. Once you've taken the steps to ensure the network is safe, service can be restored. 

To get more clarification on the Rogers' Acceptable Use Policy please review the Rogers Terms of Service Acceptable Use Policy and Privacy Policy document. You can find all the relevant information on page 18 of the document. 

Hope this helps :).

RogersZia

Kawhi2
I've been here awhile
Thanks for your reply. I basically had two complaints here. First, the suspension and second is the Rogers customer service. As I mentioned here I did whatever your staff told me to do but the problem still happened, what I can do. How can I make sure everything is safe even I have already taken all my computers to technician to check for two days. Now your company never provides a solution to the customers to guide them solve their problem and rather to ask the customers, the victim to solve our own problem and never send a technician to my home to help. Also, the customer service is very terrible and I know you have edited my title because you dun want others to have bad image on your company. Your manager just hanged up my phone call without any help. Does that the Rogers customer service really mean? The guy called vino is very rude and impolite. And I know you will ignore that because everybody in Rogers just want their customer money instead of providing service that can really help the customer. At the mid night now I am still waiting the call from Rogers as they promised they will call me back today.

@Kawhi2 what router are you using and what's the firmware version that is currently loaded on the router?

Kawhi2
I've been here awhile
I am using rt-ac68u, the firmware is the 3.0.0.4.385_10000. Setup both Aiprotection and firewall. All connections are behind my router.

Ok, here's a few things to check:

Firewall: All on this General Tab

General:

Enable Firewall:  Yes

Enable DoS protection: Yes

Logged packets type:  Dropped

Respond ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN:  No

IPv6 Firewall:

Enable IPv6 Firewall:  Yes

You're using the latest stock firmware version for the 68U.  I suspect that the .385_1000 is a new branch or milestone for that firmware.  Asus started a complete rewrite of their firmware versions about 2 years (?) ago. And they’ve been updating the firmware, adding new functions and correcting there previous mistakes since that rewrite began.  Hopefully they haven’t screwed something up with this latest branch.  Fwiw, I usually run a complete factory reset when I update my 68U or 86U.  I'm running Merlin's Asuswrt on both.   Running a complete factory reset should ensure that if for any reason, the router was corrupted somehow, that you would return the router back to factory defaults when the factory reset was completed.  After that, I set the router up from scratch and don't use a settings reload. 

Go thru all of the settings in the left hand General group of the main menu, and disable or turn off anything and everything that you know that you're not using and have no intention to use.  So, you'll have to drill down into all of the sub-tabs to check and disable anything that you're not using. 

There was an issue with the Asus app not so very long ago where use of the app left the router wide open.  As far as I know that issue should have been resolved some time ago, but, personal opinion, I caution against its use. 

There is a setting in Merlin's Asuswrt titled "Disable Asusnat tunnel" which is used by IFTTT devices or Alexa or ASUS application on cell phones.  I don't remember if that setting is available in the stock firmware.  If it is, and you don't fall into any of the above categories, disable the tunnel.

When all of the changes have been made, reboot the router.

Fwiw, if you loaded Merlin's firmware version and installed a USB flash drive on the router you could load some of the add-ons which have been developed in addition to Merlin's Asuswrt.  That includes Skynet for IP and country blocking, Diversion for add-blocking and others.  I run Skynet and Diversion on my 86U, which work very well for country and add-blocking.

What are you using for a Domain Name Server, Rogers or other service?  OpenDNS does have filtering capability, as does Quad 9.  If you set up a freebie account with OpenDNS and load a DNS Updater program, you can set the account to filter subject types and countries as well.  If any device on your network attempts to access a site for the filtered category or country, you will see an OpenDNS Warning page that the site is filtered.  Quad 9 does not require an account.  There are also Safe Search DNS options as well, which don't require an account of any type.  These are a food for thought idea when it comes to keeping your network devices out of trouble by preventing them from accessing corrupted sites.

The purpose of those sites is to prevent any device on your network from navigating to a known malware site, and others, which will hopefully prevent your network devices from being taken over by malware.  The DNS won't halt a hard coded address however.  That's where Skynet comes into play as you can set the blocking for inbound, outbound or both.  If any address falls into the ranges specified in  Skynet, that address can be blocked for two way communication. 

Skynet can also be used to watch for traffic from all devices or specified devices, so it can help to track down an errant device.

Here's the link to the SNBForum Asuswrt-Merlin page:  https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

Are you running IPV6 by any chance?

Kawhi2
I've been here awhile
Thank you so much for all your information. You are more kind and helpful than the others so called technical support and manager here. I always check my connection from my router everyday to see if any suspicious connection or malware attack. I know Merlin firmware but I tried to avoid any third party firmware in order not to give Rogers any excuse to suspend my internet service. Also I dun use ipv6 because of the security concern. I am very appreciated for your help.

charlesmk
I've been here awhile

Dear All, 

I am encountering similar issue with my home internet, I got service suspended several times in the past couple of months, each time with a different virus name. I use Malwarebyte to scan all my systems in my house and can't find any issue, and actually in all the systems in my house, we have Kaspersky Total Security running from start of Windows for years.  I am not sure the virus is so smart that it disappeared when I scan.  Today I got suspension again without notice and call Rogers again, and take a little while resume the connection.  I just search on internet and found some suggestion  to have firmware upgrade on my router, and hope this will catch the misinterpretation oas virus that passed out to Rogers   Would you suggest other action that I should take? 

Many thanks.

charlesmk
I've been here awhile
Seems the best choice is to switch to another Ip service provider to show our disgraceful with Rogers

@charlesmk are you still receiving disconnect notices from Rogers, and, if you're using a router, what model of router is it?

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation