$25 Basic Cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

$25 Basic Cable

I currently have digital light TV. Roger's told me that if I move to an area that has Ignite available then I would not be able to subscribe to any RF TV package (which Roger's calls digital cable). I would have to subscribe to an expensive Ignite bundle which includes IPTV if I wanted to get TV service from Rogers. The $25 basic TV package would not be available to me. Is Rogers not mandated to have the $25 basic package available to everyone?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: $25 Basic Cable

@X318  As far as I can tell, Rogers is still selling a Digital TV offering to those who want the basic standalone $25/month Starter Package.  Go to https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/get-iptv to see the Ignite TV bundles, scroll down to "Just want the basics?" and click the Details button; it will currently take you to: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/starter-package#/starter-channels

I would guess that at some point, Rogers will eventually base their basic (TV-only, no Internet) Starter Package on Ignite TV technology (similar to what Bell does in their Fibe TV service areas) but I don't think that they are ready to offer such a service yet.

If you happen to be an Ignite Internet customer and want to add a Starter TV package, you can do that by getting the Ignite Starter bundle, which adds basic $25/month TV service to your Internet package.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm pretty sure that Ignite also offers a basic/starter package for $25, however, that doesn't include any equipment, which you'd need to rent on top of that and you only get about 35 channels.  You can contact Rogers in any of the ways outlined in the following link:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/contactus

Almost no-one uses that package any more, however, if you're interested, I'm sure something along those lines is available.  You just need to be persistent, patient and civil when talking to the CSR.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@X318  As far as I can tell, Rogers is still selling a Digital TV offering to those who want the basic standalone $25/month Starter Package.  Go to https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/get-iptv to see the Ignite TV bundles, scroll down to "Just want the basics?" and click the Details button; it will currently take you to: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/starter-package#/starter-channels

I would guess that at some point, Rogers will eventually base their basic (TV-only, no Internet) Starter Package on Ignite TV technology (similar to what Bell does in their Fibe TV service areas) but I don't think that they are ready to offer such a service yet.

If you happen to be an Ignite Internet customer and want to add a Starter TV package, you can do that by getting the Ignite Starter bundle, which adds basic $25/month TV service to your Internet package.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I called Rogers a few more times with my question.  Sometimes they said I would be able to get the $25 package, sometimes they said it would not be an option for me.  I went to "Contact Us/Share a Concern".  I posed my question and asked if they could resolve the conflicting answers that I was getting.  I did not get a response.

I think the answer you gave is correct.  Rogers has just set up the website so that the $25 package is not that easy to find.  One would not expect that you would have to go to the Ignite page to find the $25 package since the $25 package is not an IPTV Ignite service.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

the digital starter package is available if you are only adding basic cable. The 24.99 does not include the cable box or xtra theme packs and channels. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Babylegs1 wrote:

the digital starter package is available if you are only adding basic cable. The 24.99 does not include the cable box or xtra theme packs and channels. 

For too many people, $25/month is A LOT of money... but it may be an affordable option if they already own a set-top box and do not have to rent one.

The problem here is that this service is available from Rogers, is shown on their web site, and it should be as easy to order as any other service, and yet some current subscribers are apparently being told that they cannot continue to receive this service when they move.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@X318 wrote:

One would not expect that you would have to go to the Ignite page to find the $25 package since the $25 package is not an IPTV Ignite service.

Since Legacy Digital Cable is no longer available, then it's the only place they can put it.  One may need to be persistent and patient with the CSRs since it's not something that they would normally handle now. If the CSR will not, or is not capable of providing you with this package, ask to escallate to second level.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I got a call from a Rogers manager.  She said that the definitive answer is that if I move to an area where Ignite is available then if I wanted to continue getting TV service from Rogers I would have to subscribe to an Ignite IPTV bundle.  The basic $25 package would not be available to me.  I asked her if that did not contravene the CRTC requirement that a basic $25 TV package be available to everyone.  She said someone would get back to be about that.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

sorry, but she is wrong. By getting the ignite it means you are being forced to get internet because ignite runs off the internet. What if you are someone that doesn't need the internet???  The starter pack is perfect for someone looking for basic cable and nothing else.  I understand if you needed starter cable and internet that you would have to go to ignite starter package for 124.99 but for just basic cable you do not need to 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting discussion. When Bell Fibe first launched, Bell didn't have the option to have a "TV Only" service.  You had to buy a package with internet (The TV signals come via the internet "pipe", so the argument was that you needed to have both since they couldn't be "separated").  In April 2012 Fibe (TV only) became available and was called "Zero-rated Internet".   It was also very difficult for customers to obtain, especially at first.  I'm guessing that Bell was able to "separate" the TV signals and the Internet signals so people who subscribed to that option didn't have access to the Internet.  I believe they did this by "hobbling" the Internet portion to almost zero.

Since Rogers licenses the IgniteTV technology from Comcast, it's possible that this "separation" is not technically feasible at this time, since there may not be a "basic cable" ($25/mo) or similar requirement in the US.  Perhaps Rogers is looking for a waiver (Bell have been able to circumvent certain CRTC regs due to technological limitations in the past).   It may be as "easy" as hobbling the Internet side of things on Ignite, but IgniteTV is "included" in the download bitrate you pay for. The download/upload rate can be adjusted at the modem by Rogers but perhaps not separately for TV/Internet with the equipment that Rogers is using...

In the meantime, it would probably be possible for Rogers to meet the CRTC basic cable requirements by providing Legacy Digital Cable for customers requesting basic cable.  Will Rogers make this easy for the customer - probably not - as this doesn't exactly provide them with a lot of profit.  It'll be interesting to hear what eventually comes back from Rogers on this topic.

Edit: One thing that Bell did was make the rate for TV only packages quite expensive (list price for Good, Better, Best TV channel packages).  I don't recall seeing much discussion regarding "basic cable" ($25) on the Digital Home forums regarding Fibe. Of course, neither Fibe nor IgniteTV are "cable" in the old sense of the name - they are IPTV.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/fibetv-without-internet-add-on-now-possible-2012-04-via-retention...