cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone ordered Iphone 14 pro max identifying as myself

mayank9595
I've been here awhile

Last month I got a call from someone who pretended to be Rogers employee as they had few of my information already. They provided me discounted plan offer on Rogers with Iphone 15 Pro max upgrade.  I liked the offer and provided some more information to complete the order.

In reality they were a scammer. They took my information , called rogers after 2 days pretending to be myself and ordered Iphone 14 pro max (wrong device) , I immediately asked Rogers to cancel as that's not what I wanted but Rogers mentioned that I need to wait and Ship it back.

The Scammer( Pretending to be Rogers employee) got in touch with me to inform that he has made necessary changes and I will definitely receive Iphone 15 pro max.  
However I still received Iphone 14 pro max so I contacted them back asking to return the device. They sent me a return label so I did return. Later I found out that it was not a Rogers address. It was some house address where this scammer wanted this phone returned. 

Inshort they got Iphone 14 pro max for free by using me and my Rogers account. I have opened fraud case with Rogers. Any idea how this would be proceeded? Would Rogers reverse any upgrade or charges that happened In this and secure the account for any further fraudulent activity ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Someone ordered Iphone 14 pro max identifying as myself

mayank9595
I've been here awhile

Update : Rogers fraud team reached out and helped out to remove the fraud hardware upgraded device. So happy to be Rogers customer and apologies to the company for causing loss. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

mayank9595
I've been here awhile

Update : Rogers fraud team reached out and helped out to remove the fraud hardware upgraded device. So happy to be Rogers customer and apologies to the company for causing loss. 

SARAHHARRIS
I've been around

I got hit with the same scam and they guy was very good. i didnt have the slightest idea as he had access to my account and the ability to order and send phones for which i checked on my account website. seemed legit. Mailed the wrong phones to an address in Brampton ontario. the scammer said the fulfillment system was on the fritz so to send it there instead. i did. twice. Now the fraud team is investigating but the major issue is money has already come out. im sure the fraud team will make good on it. but i cant help but think it was an inside job by a disgruntled employee as the information he had and was able to change on the accounts was extremely legitimate. anywho, im waiting for the fraud team to get back to me. always be weary. lesson learned. 

harry011
I've been around

These scamers are pretty elaborate. They have lot of info on the account. I got scammed too. The person identifies himself as Karan singh phone number 437-782-6310 and says he is Rogers employee. They opened 4 lines on my account  in Rogers. Looks like thye have the info from some insider in Regers. Beware and dont fall for them. I have reached out to fraud team they are investigating. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They could indeed have customer info from an insider at rogers OR they have access to large amount of information from a previous data breach that just happens to include Rogers wireless customers as well as customers from other phone carriers too.

Same thing happened to me. I am also waiting for the fraud team to get back to me. I also think it’s an inside job. 

Same thing just happened to me. 

Waiting for the fraud team to get back, their calls lead to voicemail. Tried numerous times, no one picks up. They are making it extremely difficult to contact them. 

Hello @guyprivado,

Thanks for your post! We appreciate you took the time to bring this up to our attention.

We'd be happy to take a deeper look into this, if you have not yet heard back from the advisor assigned to your case.

Please send a message to @CommunityHelps if you require further assistance. To know how to send us a private message, click here

Thank you so much!

RogersMaude

muralivaddadi
I've been here awhile

Hi ,

I receive a call today from 587-874-0902 Ahmad Ali (Claming Rogers sales team) for iphone 15 Max upgrade . He told me all the info on my account and said will be placing an order for an upgrade . He said his manger will contact for the next steps.

Hi ,

Today i got order confirmation for the same . Is this from Rogers or Scammers ? How to check with Rogers on this issues ?

@muralivaddadi if you didn't order the phone, then a scammer did.  On a device that you trust, log into your account and change your password and PIN.  Check your personal details, address, phone number, etc and ensure that they are correct and haven't been changed by the scammer.  Also check for the ordered device and see if there is a cancel function that you can select to immediately kill this order.  

Don't be surprised to receive a call from a "Rogers" agent indicating that this was a mistaken order and that you're supposed to send the phone back to an address that the "Rogers" agent will specify.  Do not send it back.  The address will be a fake address and you will be left with a phone bill on your account that you will have to sort out with the Fraud Dept.  Contact the moderators as indicated below if you receive instructions from the scammers that you are to return the phone.   Don't be surprised if someone shows up at your doorstep claiming to be from Rogers, and claiming that he or she it to pick up the phone.  I'd simply say, don't know what you're talking about and close (slam) the door.  Make no mention that you may have received the phone and already shipped it back to a real Rogers address or that you still have it on hand.  I'd take note of the vehicle and licence number if possible and call the police to report the scammer and vehicle.  

In the mean time, contact the moderators at @CommunityHelps to start the ball rolling with the Fraud Dept.  

@CommunityHelps is the group address for the moderators here on the Rogers Forum. When you're logged into the forum, follow this link to the @CommunityHelps page. On that page will be a link on the right hand side to Send a Message. Follow that link to the message composition page. The address will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details, including your account number and when the message is complete, hit Send Message at the bottom.

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner. That will indicate that there's an inbound message for you. Follow that envelope symbol as it serves as a link to the message inbox and outbox. From the response in the inbox you can then message back and forth as required. There will be an authentication procedure that you will have to complete in order to service any change requests for your account.

To send anyone else on the forum a message, including @communityhelps, hover your mouse over their user name and a popup will appear with a link to send a Private Message. Follow that Private Message link to the message composition page and as before the message addressee will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details and hit Send Message when you're ready to send the message.

u1452573
I've been around
I got a local call today for Rogers sales agent about free iPhone 15 pro max + unlimited 2year plan for $50. They gave me name and ID number. Not sure if it is the scam like yours

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@u1452573 : Is the offer too good to be true? Then it's a scam. Check out the following Knowledge Base link for posts on how to avoid scams.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud/tkb-p/ScamFraudNotifications@tkb

advil29
I've been around

Even I got hit with the same scam last Saturday.  They are able to tell my account and address info also they have placed order under my account, later I called the support center to cancel the order that have been placed by someone on my name. Again I got the call from today saying I will be receiving Iphone 15 pro  and tracking information will be received through email.  Dropped the voice message to the Fraud team of Rogers waiting for them to give call back.

On a device that you trust, log into your account and change your password and PIN. Check your personal details, address, phone number, etc and ensure that they are correct and haven't been changed by the scammer. Also check for the ordered device and see if there is a cancel function that you can select to immediately kill this order.  Look for any services that you did not order.   If so, that will have to be sorted out with Rogers Staff. 

Don't be surprised to receive a call from a "Rogers" agent indicating that this was a mistaken order and that you're supposed to send the phone back to an address that the "Rogers" agent will specify.  Do not send it back. The address will be a fake address and you will be left with a phone bill on your account that you will have to sort out with the Fraud Dept.  If you're getting messages and calls regarding the phones, block the calling numbers and report them as spam.  For the time being, I would suggest that you restrict your conversations regarding the phones to the forum moderators, Fraud Dept, or  Rogers staff, contacted thru phone numbers listed on the Rogers website. 

If the Fraud Dept takes days or weeks to get back to you, contact the moderators as indicated below to start the return process back to Rogers.  Don't be surprised if someone shows up at your door requesting (demanding) that you turn the phones over to him or her.  Tell the individual that you don't know what their talking about and close the door.  Take note of their physical appearance, the vehicle that they are driving and if possible the licence number of the vehicle.  It up to you, but I'd report them to the police as soon as possible after you close the door.  Who knows, perhaps the police will get lucky and locate the individual(s).  After that, its up to the police to deal with them. 

While this is still fresh in your mind, write yourself a journal, detailing the events that have transpired so far.   Include any phone numbers that called you and the address that you were instructed to ship the phones to.  That might prove very useful if you decide to file a police report.  

@CommunityHelps is the group address for the moderators here on the Rogers Forum. When you're logged into the forum, follow this link to the @CommunityHelps. On that page will be a link on the right hand side to Send a Message. Follow that link to the message composition page. The address will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details, including your account number and when the message is complete, hit Send Message at the bottom.

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner. That will indicate that there's an inbound message for you. Follow that envelope symbol as it serves as a link to the message inbox and outbox. From the response in the inbox you can then message back and forth as required. There will be an authentication procedure that you will have to complete in order to service any change requests for your account.

To send anyone else on the forum a message, including @CommunityHelps , hover your mouse over their user name and a popup will appear with a link to send a Private Message. Follow that Private Message link to the message composition page and as before the message addressee will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details and hit Send Message when you're ready to send the message.

BTNRTKMI2011
I've been around
On October 6th, 2023, someone pretending to be me accessed my Rogers account, made changes to my plan and, while I was away in St. John's, NL, I received an email from FedEx for delivery for an iPhone i15 which I NEVER ordered.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A23.  I called Rogers right away and was told by a female agent they intercepted it and were aware of the scam. I was told not to worry about it.

When I got back to Vancouver on October 13th, the iPhone arrived upstairs.  I took it to Rogers Metro town (by the bus loop).  The store manager accessed my account and gave me a better plan.  He opened the box with the iPhone and he told me there is a scam going on. He told the iPhone was not yet available to the public.  Then he told me I would have to contact the Fraud team to obtain the waybill to attach to the box and send direct to Rogers.

I managed to speak to a male caller on or about November 7th, 2023.  He sent me the way bill.  I brought the iPhone to Purolator at Staples on Grandview Highway, Vancouver, and I received an email on November 14th that Rogers received the device.  Was it an inside job?  The email read 
"Your device has been received.
Hello,
This is to confirm that we have received the device you returned to us. We’re sorry it didn’t work out for you. We’ll be sure to adjust your account within 7 business days."  

Original order number: xxxxxxxxxx
Original order date: October 06, 2023
Date hardware received by Rogers: November 13, 2023
Hardware returned by: xxxxxxxx
Quantity & item received (make/model/colour/IMEI):
•  1 - IPHONE 15 512 BLACK Black xxxxxxxxx

On November 23rd, my VISA was charged $1863.04!  I have been calling the Customer Care Center many times and I was always disconnected when the agent transferred my call to the Credit department.  On Thursday April 18th, 2024, I managed to speak to a female and later a male caller.  The female agent was very rude.  I asked her for the case number.  Case: I220xxxxxxx.  Later, I escalated the matter and spoke to a male caller.  He was more professional.  He asked for my credit card info as there were two on file.  I gave him my new VISA.  He said they would get back to me in about five days and hopefully reverse the amount.

Good evening @BTNRTKMI2011,

Welcome to the Community!

I appreciate the details you've shared with us. Really disappointing to hear this has happened to you. I hope this issue has been resolved since you last posted here. 

If you still require assistance with this issue please let us know.

RogersZia

abinseby
I've been around

I had a similar incident . The scammer offered Samsung s24 and he ordered an iphone 15 maxpro using my credentials. When i received it i told it was the wrong phone and he send return label with his address which i was unaware. Please be careful and do not give any credentials to anyone unless authorized.

Topic Stats