cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers signed me up for a 2 year contract without my knowledge

Ryan55
I'm here a lot

On March 14 Rogers signed me up for a 2 year internet contract without my knowledge. I was a regular month to month customer prior to this.

The customer service person said an agent spoke to me on the phone and confirmed my cell phone number but this phone call never took place.

I opened a fraud investigation but never received a call from them. I called customer service who said they tried to call on either March 18 or 19, he said he didn't know which day but I didn't answer. This is false as I do not have a missed call or voicemail from anyone. I again confirmed they have the correct phone number on file.

He said someone will call again on either April 4 or 5 and it's the end of the day but still no phone call.

I need this resolved ASAP.

**Labels Added**

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Rogers signed me up for a 2 year contract without my knowledge

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ryan55 Not sure why this happened but if you are an existing customer and tried to get a new promotion applied to your account, it's possible that yours, with the 2-year contract, was the only one available to you.  (A while ago, I considered dropping my Ignite TV service.  I inquired about month-to-month promotions for Ignite Internet but was told that I only qualified for discounts with a 2-year term.)

I would suggest sending a private message to @CommunityHelps and ask if they able to sort this out for you.

Ryan55
I'm here a lot

Thanks but I didn't reach out for any promotions. I randomly got an email that described the details of my account changes.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ryan55 Yeah, no, that should not have happened.  I would still suggest reaching out to the @CommunityHelps team to see if they can provide you with any additional information or any new updates.

Olshep
I've been around

Im going through the same issue, and they are telling me I can't cancel since I signed a 2 year contract. This has to be the biggest joke, scamming in broad daylight. 

Ryan55
I'm here a lot
File a complaint with https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

I was on hold for 35 minutes on Friday and going on 35 minutes today. I can't even get a hold of anybody now

Hello. I want to complain! How can i do this? Your manager lied me and took advantage of my weak English! When I connected my home Internet, your manager did not tell me that I was entering into a contract for 24 months!!! You signed me up for 24 months without my consent!!! He told me that I could close the Internet at any time!!! He didn’t even let me study the contract, they told me about a completely different tariff and conditions, I trusted your manager and was deceived!!! I'm newcomer in Canada! I only live 3 months! Now when I want to leave Canada and want to turn off my internet you tell me I have to pay a bill of over $300 for it!!! I don't have money to pay! I was deceived, I was not told about these rules! I want to complain! I want to close the Internet and not pay this big bill!!!

zipporah_van
I've been here awhile

I contacted ROGERS in April 2024 to reduce my internet bill, which had exceeded $100. The representative assured me he could lower the bill, but instead, he deceitfully enrolled me in a two-year term without my consent. The discount was a trap, contingent upon this hidden agreement. If I had been transparently informed, I would have never agreed to such terms. This deceptive practice is unacceptable and must be addressed immediately. Employees engaging in this false advertising are driving customers away!!!!!!!

I went through the same exact thing. I called in April to have my bill reduced since I was switched over to month-to-month. I called to cancel because I’m moving and I’m told I enrolled in a 2 year contract and I have to pay over $300 to cancel. This just feels like a scam. The agent did not ask for my verbal consent over the phone neither did I sign any documents for this “contract”..so how is it legitimate? The agent made it seem like he was just switching over my plan to something cheaper, only to find out he enrolled me in a 2 year contract. No mention of any of contract/cancellation terms whatsoever

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am a firm believer that if a plan change of any sort involves locking you into a contract, then a verbal agreement is mandatory.  I wish rogers agents would do their due diligence and explain things.clearly.  I used to work with customers 20 years ago and I was very clear with how I explained things to people they always commented on how happy they were with my explanation compared to other people who work with customers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a few comments:

1. In order to receive a reduction in your bundle costs, a commitment to a certain term is almost always required, whether it be 1 or 2 years.

2. When I negotiated my recent 2 year bundle via PM, I needed to confirm that I was happy with the 2 year term (in writing).  Not sure what happened to the people here and whether the CSR was clear enough, however, see below:

3. Once a new bundle is negotiated, you are sent an e-mail with the details of that bundle, usually with the heading "Account Change Details".

4. In that e-mail there is a residential services agreement showing the term on page 1 and in the section on "Monthly Savings".

5. In that e-mail there is also a "Critical Information Summary", which again discusses the term on page 1 and the "Monthly Savings on a subsequent page. There is also a section on "Term and Early Cancellation Fee Details", where, the term and the cancellation details are clearly outlined. 

6. Unfortunately, many people do not bother reading any of this information (or their bills) and are "surprised" by the contents therein.

Ryan55
I'm here a lot
An update.

After contacting the CCTS and making a complaint Rogers finally took me seriously and looked into my fraud investigation. They maintained that they did nothing wrong and that the agent did speak with me to accept this promo despite this phone call never taking place. He wouldn't elaborate further on their investigation. As a "good will gesture" he cancelled my agreement and refunded me two months of service.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

there are some very old customers who are seniors do not get email communications, because they have no computer, when the sales agent changes your plan, they should treat everybody equally and disclose "your going on a contract" BEFORE you actually go on it, not After in some small print in an email you likey wont read or might get sent to your junk folder.

zipporah_van
I've been here awhile

Was this resolved? I have been hit with a $400 dollar fine for a contract I did not sign up for. Its unbelievable 

zipporah_van
I've been here awhile

I still have my $400 dollar fine and have been escalated to 3 managers, the last manager told me the office of the president will call me back in 2 weeks time. The third party vendor for customer call representatives apparently signed a bunch of customers unknowingly for 2 year contracts in order to meet a quota. Now, the Office of the President has been backed up for over 2 weeks so just a heads up if you find this thread and are waiting on the same issue. 

TechLady
I plan to stick around

I've always had one year pricing on my internet and was given discounts because I have been a long term customer.

Based on this, I realized my pricing would change soon. A client service rep told me last month that there were offers on my account that I'd be able to see in the Rogers app. I couldn't see them.

I called today - because I didn't want a huge bill next month, only to find out I am on a 2 year contract. I would never have agreed to that.

Why was I misinformed or mislead?

Yes it was resolved after I filed a complaint with CCTS. I promptly received a call/email from the office of the president who did not admit fault but offered me a 2 month refund and $0 cancellation.

Deruyjk
I've been around

Same thing happened to me. Was just checking to see when my contract ends and it turns out they renewed it automatically without contacting me and now I'm locked into another 2 years. Surely this is fraud or something lol 

It absolutely is fraud and I'm still mad about my experience even though I was refunded the whole amount I paid for the two months of investigation and allowed to cancel without penalty.
Topic Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 10 in conversation