cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a scam?

sue26
I've been around

I got the following email today.  Suspect that is is a scam but how do I find out.

Dear User,
We are closing all old versions of our Rogers Yahoo Email as of today 11th, January 2022.
Please follow the link below to update your account:
You will be blocked from sending and receiving emails if not  confirmed within 24hrs of receiving this automated mail.
(possible malicious link removed by moderator)

To log in, you'll need your Rogers ID. This is usually your email address.

Sincerely,
The Rogers Mail Secure Team.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it a scam?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are a few tips:

Always look at the sender e-mail address if it's visible, or hover over it to see the actual e-mail address.  In the case of scammers, it's not usually from the typical Rogers accounts where you receive e-mails from, even though it might be ABC@rogers.com.

Never click on a link in a suspicious e-mail.  Always go to the appropriate websites using your own bookmarks or ways.  If you click on a link by mistake, if you examine the URL you may find it to be similar to a Rogers (or Yahoo) site, but it always contains one or more letters that shouldn't be there, usually near the front.

Often, but not always, scam e-mails will contain poor grammar, poor spelling, odd date or currency formats, etc.  They typically do this on purpose to catch the unwary who are easier to scam. Anyone "smart" would notice these sorts of mistakes or anomalies.

Scammers often "threaten" people with things like "You will be blocked from sending and receiving emails if not  confirmed within 24hrs of receiving this automated mail" or other threatening language.  Most corporations would provide more notice.

If you're unsure, coming here is a good choice. These sorts of e-mails have been sent to many people on Rogers/Yahoo e-mail and are scams

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are a few tips:

Always look at the sender e-mail address if it's visible, or hover over it to see the actual e-mail address.  In the case of scammers, it's not usually from the typical Rogers accounts where you receive e-mails from, even though it might be ABC@rogers.com.

Never click on a link in a suspicious e-mail.  Always go to the appropriate websites using your own bookmarks or ways.  If you click on a link by mistake, if you examine the URL you may find it to be similar to a Rogers (or Yahoo) site, but it always contains one or more letters that shouldn't be there, usually near the front.

Often, but not always, scam e-mails will contain poor grammar, poor spelling, odd date or currency formats, etc.  They typically do this on purpose to catch the unwary who are easier to scam. Anyone "smart" would notice these sorts of mistakes or anomalies.

Scammers often "threaten" people with things like "You will be blocked from sending and receiving emails if not  confirmed within 24hrs of receiving this automated mail" or other threatening language.  Most corporations would provide more notice.

If you're unsure, coming here is a good choice. These sorts of e-mails have been sent to many people on Rogers/Yahoo e-mail and are scams

dross239
I've been here awhile
If you accidentally clicked the link but didn't fill out the password, just exited is that safe enough?
When ever I log into my account it auto fills my enail but not my password

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dross239 wrote:
If you accidentally clicked the link but didn't fill out the password, just exited is that safe enough?

Probably, but you might wish to change that password.

dross239
I've been here awhile

Trying to update it. Rogers is giving me fits.

JP427
I've been around

You didnt answer the people's concerns!! Is it a scam or not???

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JP427 : The OP is over a year old. Yes, it is a scam as outlined in the following link and per the assumptions in my "solution" post.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Rogers-Email-Instructing-me-to...

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation