cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Email and a Posted Letter for a Rogers Account I Don't Have

dmcguire9
I've been around

A few weeks ago I received an email allegedly from Rogers stating that I owe $0.00 on a home phone services account that I have never had and that I should log onto my account via their website to make the payment. Obviously this makes no sense at all and I assumed it was fraud. I called Rogers customer support to report this and ensure that such an account did not exist. The customer services agent assured me that no other accounts other than my current cell phone plan are attributed to me in their system so I should ignore the email as it is likely a phishing attempt. 

Well, today I received a letter from "Rogers" via regular mail about owing $0 on the same home phone services account noted in the email from a few weeks ago and that the service will be cancelled 24 hours from the date of the letter (if this were true, I received the letter 2 days late) and the account could be forwarded to a collection agency. Obviously, my email address and now personal address have been sold or stolen and I am concerned that this info is now being used to harass me about a service I never had and a debt of $0 (lol) that I don't owe.
I've seen stories over the years about people's credit ratings being destroyed because of Rogers' pursuit of such incorrect claims to people who were not in arrears or even Rogers customers. I cannot find any parts of the email or letter that have the telltale signs of a phishing attempt like incorrect spelling of words or modified logos, directions to click on a specific link to my account, etc. so I am at a loss about what to do. Should I just ignore this? I'm going to call Rogers again about this issue but I am quite upset about receiving letters at my home address now. This is a phishing attempt on a scale I've never experienced before.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fraudulent Email and a Posted Letter for a Rogers Account I Don't Have

RogersCorey

Greetings @dmcguire9!

Welcome to our Community!

I would definitely recommend reaching out to us so that we can look into this matter for you. I want you to feel secure that your information isn't being used nefariously without your permission.

Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Fraudulent Email and a Posted Letter for a Rogers Account I Don't Have

RogersCorey

Greetings @dmcguire9!

Welcome to our Community!

I would definitely recommend reaching out to us so that we can look into this matter for you. I want you to feel secure that your information isn't being used nefariously without your permission.

Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation