Daily SPAM calls ... what can I do beside blocking each number one by one

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Daily SPAM calls ... what can I do beside blocking each number one by one

I thought the DNC list was available to anyone, therefore it could be abused by anonymous off-shore telemarketers. I seems to me that when the list was originally established and I registered my number, the calls increased. I get telemarketers on my landline regularly, but very seldom on my cell, which I never registered.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the recommendation - my 3 set cordless V-tech are at the end of their life anyway, so I will look at sets with features like you just described.

There are days I would like to just throw the phone out the window, but too dependent upon it.

And it does provide entertainment when in the mood messing around with them, although when you do that, you sometimes risk that they start phoning more often and become aggressive - then I just hang up and stop answering again.

Bruce

I suppose it's possible they registered as a valid business in Canada and subscribed to obtain the list... but the vetting process seems like it should weed out potential abusers of the system.

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/ind/faqs-eng#rs_link02

Regards,

RogersCorey

I've Been Around

Actually, wouldn't it make way more sense for Rogers, who sees every single call come in, to simply look for numbers that are sequentially calling rogers accounts in order to identify robo-callers and give your subscribers the option to block them? 

It's easy: when a given phone number has made more than 1000 calls in an hour, and the average call length is less than 10 seconds (people hang up), or they never leave voicemail, or one of a dozen signals, mark them as spam.

Then simply create a whitelist for things like government, emergency, schools etc who can call, and block the rest from pestering your customers.

Please don't make this OUR problem. It's a Rogers issue that's easily solvable. If you don't do it a competitor will and we'll all run to them for safety. We have number portability and we should never be made to give that up.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@blah2016wrote:

It's easy: when a given phone number has made more than 1000 calls in an hour, and the average call length is less than 10 seconds (people hang up), or they never leave voicemail, or one of a dozen signals, mark them as spam.

If only it were that simple.  Many Telemarketers now spoof their numbers, sometimes changing them with each call.  Also, many use "Private Number" or similar and a corporation cannot block these calls as some/many of them are legit. For example, a well-known Toronto hospital shows up as "Private Number" when booking appointments for MRIs, etc. (for privacy purposes).  I've contacted that hospital about this since some people do block "Private Number" calls and the hospital will look into their options.

Call Blocking, white lists, etc are discussed in more detail in the following thread, post 57, 60 onwards.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/blocking-calls/m-p/383007#M2018

I'm a Regular

Local 604... don't know the number.

so i got two phone calls from my LG V30 from a local Metro Vancouver number though rogers, one was on my 3rd share everthing plan line then they called my main number! 604-734-3366.

Chinese AI speaking!! would i get charged for the randoms call? tho it local? should i just block there number on Norton android App? 

Please help!

Sincerely Kiefer

Good day @cafekief,

Thanks for your post!

I understand your concern with potential SPAM calls you receive and the inconveniences they may cause you. Bringing this up to our attention is best to ensure you're provided with the correct information and in this case be reassured.

Whenever you answer a phone call, while in your local calling area, there are no long distance charge for the call picked up. SPAM callers will often hang up, before the call is answered, in order to have you call back.

I am unsure where the call originated from at this point, since you did not recognize the caller, but feel free to block the number to prevent this from happening in the future.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, I hate to bring say this, but, blocking the number is most likely completely useless. 

There are two phone numbers in play here, the displayed number and the billing number.  The displayed number can be spoofed to look like a local number, so that you really don't know who is calling.  Best thing to do is not answer a call that you don't recognize.  Let it go to voice mail.  If the caller really wants to speak with you, he or she will leave a message.  No message left?  Most likely a spam call.  In the U.S., I believe its illegal to spoof the phone number, but that probably does very little when it comes to dealing with overseas spam callers.  As far as I am aware, there is no similar Canadian legislation that prohibits call number spoofing.  There should be.

The second number in question is the billing number, which you don't see.  That's unfortunate as that is the number that you really want see, and to block.  Callers are allowed to block the billing number.  Examples of this would include Hospitals, or emergency services.  It would appear that anyone else can also block the billing number, including spam callers, which is where the current laws fall apart.  What is really required is a legislation change to tighten the rules regarding billing number blocking and to tightly control who can or can't block the billing number.  The unfortunate part in all of this is that the carriers all get their slice of the pie, so, its not in the financial interests of the carriers to actually block those calls.  That needs to change, so that the carriers are responsive and responsible to their actual customers, and not to the spam centers which are located around the globe whose aim is to harass and defraud the carriers customers.  Complaints regarding spam callers should be directed to the CRTC and to your MP. 

A recent twist in spam calling is to use a 900 call number, which is a paid service.  The caller will call and hang up.  Most likely the displayed call number is spoofed.  So, you call back to see who it was, which routes the call to a 900 number.   This will cost several dollars or possibly tens of dollars per minute for you to call.  That cost is then posted to your account, some of which goes to the caller and some of which will go to the carrier.  So once again, there is no real reason for the carrier to stop this practice as it makes money for the company.  The customer is defrauded, told to pay the bill and block the call so that it doesn't happen again.  Next time the caller will simply use another randomly generated display call number, so, once again, call blocking will be ineffective  There is no answer for this other than not answering call numbers that you don't recognize.  Any action required to solve this lies with legislation which forces the carriers to deal with this.  

Fwiw ........

I've Been Around

Rogers should come up with a way to block incoming calls by country code. For example, I always get spam calls from from Seychelles (country code 248). I've never been to Seychelles and I don't know anybody from there, so just let us block the entire country from calling us. Problem solved Rogers, don't make me change my phone number.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mbarbiniThe calls may not be coming from there. The telemarketer may simply be spoofing that area code. Please see post 15 of this thread and the link there.