cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily SPAM calls ... what can I do beside blocking each number one by one

jppotvin
I've been here awhile

Hello all, switched to Rogers 2 months ago and I am loving it so far but ever since I've been having daily SPAM calls from different region of the USA. Never the same number because I always block it but they still continue to come in. I sometime answer out of frustration but there is never anyone speaking. Is it possible to block calls from the USA altogether?

And I also get a text message everytime telling me that I have a voicemail... this is also annoying and redundant as we already have an icon that let's us know that there is a voicemail.

Thank you very much for the help!

***Edited Labels***

46 REPLIES 46

Re: Daily SPAM calls ... what can I do beside blocking each number one by one

SlavaJ
I've been here awhile

I tried calling that spam number back and it says "this number doesn't accept anonymous calls".

Hey Rogers, can your customers get a similar protection from anonymous calls that these people get?

Thank you!

Anna67
I've been around

Rogers wireless number claiming to be from CRA saying I am going to get arrested and a warrant will be issued for my immediate arrest. How are these numbers not being shut down? There are dozens of complaints about this number on other sites, just from today.

Good afternoon @Anna67!

Welcome to our Community!

We address scam calls alleging to come from the CRA in our Blog Post here: Does tax season lead to an increase in phishing activities. While we speak specifically to texts and emails, the advice in the post can apply to calls too.

You may want to report this incident directly to the RCMP through this website: Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Or ..... you could do something like this and totally waste the scammers time.  What goes around comes around as they say:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cra+scam+calls+2018

This is a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0v075OpmfQ

TON of Spam Phone Calls

For the last couple of months I've been getting hammered with spam phone calls to my cell.

The spoofed numbers are from Canada, and all over the U.S.  Often 10 - 15 a day.  100% of them leave voice mails that are blank and about 3 to 4 seconds long.

I KNOW how to add incoming calls to the "block list" in my iPhone X, but I'd like to know what Rogers is (or can be) doing to help stop these blatant spam calls.

Hello @Altabear1,

Thanks for your participation in the Community and congratulations on your very first post! 😀

We know how annoying unwanted calls can be, and we’re very sorry for the inconvenience! You can rest assured that we have nothing to do with these kinds of calls, and don’t support them in any way.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to stop these companies from contacting you because there are no laws stopping them from doing so, but we do everything we can to lower their chances of getting in touch with you.

Some companies call random numbers. They try every possible number combination in order to reach as many people as they can. We think that kind of marketing goes against both the Canadian Do Not Call List and the CRTC’s rules on Automatic Dial Announcing Devices (ADADs).

Rogers uses sophisticated anti-spam software in our network to protect you from spammers. The software has advanced threat detection algorithms to constantly hunt for and identify suspicious activity. We also have a dedicated team who monitors and detect mobile messaging threats and creates configurations to block current/new issues in real-time. 

To help get rid of third party marketing calls, you can add your phone number to the National Do Not Call List. Here is how:

• Telephone: 1-866-580-DNCL (1-866-580-3625)
• Telephone (TTY): 1-888-DNCL-TTY (1-888-362-5889)

**Please note: After registration, telemarketers have 14 days to update their information. You could still receive communications within that time. If registering by phone, please call from the phone number you are trying to register. 

For spam related calls, you can report these to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre here:

• Telephone: ◦ 1-888-495-8501

• Fax: ◦ 1-888-654-9426

I hope this information is useful. 🙂

RogersLaura

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@SlavaJ wrote:

I tried calling that spam number back and it says "this number doesn't accept anonymous calls".

Hey Rogers, can your customers get a similar protection from anonymous calls that these people get?

Thank you!

The phone I transferred number and all   to a different company has had  virtually no scam calls  in the two years since the move from Rogers ,  so I expect that it is possible  ....  It's so nice not to fight to get a phone out of your pocket , clear yourself of a precarious situation  ,answer the call and have it be some  ******* calling with an automated scam and not a real need for assistance . Smiley Happy

Spoffed
I've been here awhile
I’m having the same problem. I’m on DNC but you as provider should have a different approach than “changing number”! Most of this calls are 1 ring! Maybe you can implement a “sand box” where the first ring is routed and starting from the second ring getting to actual number?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Spoffed wrote:
Most of this calls are 1 ring! 

Interesting. I get very few one ring calls.  Just as an FYI, you can purchase an external call blocking device that will eliminate that first ring. What the box does is check the incoming call display against any number in the "black list" of calls you want blocked and those calls will be blocked. Calls not in the black list will come through on the second ring.

The problem with call blocking is that many telemarketers now use auto dialers and also change the call display number all the time, so that call blocking becomes mostly useless as discussed in other call blocking threads - links below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Blocking-Unwanted-Callers-Tele...

Post 57 onwards:  https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Home-Phone/blocking-calls/m-p/383007#M2018

The various providers are working on reducing Spam calls using various means. Let's hope that these bear fruit in the near future.

Spoffed
I've been here awhile
Thanks for advice but in my case is a personal/business cell phone. I still suggest to Rogers to tackle this issue. I understand that those numbers probably change every day ( or moment ) and probably are VoIP but when customers got for example calls from Tonga + 6768755340 and Canada 6768755340 (same number whiteout +) should be a filter that raises flags. I also think that those numbers are used for calling hundreds/thousands of customers probably and, as a network, providers should be able to blacklist and fight those malicious numbers.

Ataboynorm
I've been here awhile

When is Rogers going to implement this in Canada

FCC requires anti-robocall tech be used by June 2021

STIR/SHAKEN is finally being made a requirement

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/21201140/fcc-stir-shaken-approved-june-2021-deadline-robocalls

The Do Not Call List is a waste of time and money

I would Like to block all US/International and any call that does not show their real phone number

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure why you're linking the FCC. We have a thread on this topic in the following link.  The "deadline" was September 30, 2020, but providers may have an extension since it didn't appear to be a "hard" deadline, more of a suggestion... 😉

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-steps-up-efforts-to-comba...

Unfortunately, blocking calls from your phone is useless because scammers/telemarketers are always changing the spoofed numbers.  This is really something that the providers must do. Some providers already have algorithms in place that block many scammers by monitoring the number of calls from a number, etc.  See post 4 of the above link.

Ataboynorm
I've been here awhile

Thanks 57, it does seem there is at least some hope in the pipe.

A1MB1G
I've been around
Add me to the list of people being bombarded almost every single day with 15-20 calls. All phone numbers are different (spoofed) and they are all about "Legal Department from Service Canada". They also leave voice messages that are blank for 3-4 seconds. Absolutely super annoying!!!! Would changing my phone number even resolve this issue? I never had this problem when I was with Koodo.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As discussed in this and other similar threads, Stir/Shaken, should be implemented in 2 months. Let's hope there's not another extension.  Changing your number might help for a while but if the same telemarketer gets the new number, you've just changed boats without an actual resolution.  

As an FYI, I only get about 1-2 spam calls per week recently and I never answer them, although some of them may leave a voicemail, either blank or otherwise.

gdigenis
I've been here awhile
Saying that there is nothing rogers can do is flat out false. I can tell you that Telus has a feature called Call Control that blocks robocallers. I had not received a spam call in almost two years and only started getting them again once I ported my number to rogers.

If rogers isn’t going to bring out similar features for their customers I am going back to Telus.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that was discussed in the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-steps-up-efforts-to-comba...

The latest extension is November 30, 2021. Let's all hope that there is not yet another extension.

Why not implement the tool that Koodo uses? When first time callers ring your number a message comes on that says please enter the number 3 (this is a random number every time) to complete your call” Robo calls don’t connect obviously but friends have to enter a number. Once they do they never have to do it again as they are added to your safe list.
This completely eliminates robo calls.
I switched for a better plan but I’m regretting my decision now.

gdigenis
I've been here awhile
That’s what I was saying a couple of posts before yours. People are waiting for them to Implement a completely different system when something highly effective already exists.

Telus and Koodo can already block all robocalls, Rogers needs to get on board with the same system already.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
My Google Android phone has a built in spam filtering service it answers the call for me and tells the caller to press something or say something then i can choose to answer it or not. technically rogers does not need this if its already built into our phones

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
another thing, its not a good idea to block every number a spammer calls you from, first of all they dont use their real number they might "spoof" a number of a local business or another customer, so when you add it to your block list, your blocking a legit business instead who is not a spammer but someone was using their number. also the spammers use different numbers all the time never the same number twice so your blocking a number that likely will never call you again so your putting empty numbers in your block list to fill it up and will not solve the problem.
Topic Stats