Daily SPAM calls ... what can I do beside blocking each number one by one

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Daily SPAM calls ... what can I do beside blocking each number one by one

In lieu of current Canadian cellular limitations here is one way to get back at pseudo-CRA calls attempting to extort your hard earned after tax dollars from you. JollyRoger and Robokiller apps for cell phones won't work in Canada.

Immediately ask the caller for a call back number if it does not already appear on your phone screen. Immediately create an ad in Kijiji or CraigsList for free puppies or kittens to give away listing the pseudo-CRA or equivalent phone number asking interested parties to call but not text before dropping by to pick up your free pet. Make sure you do not list your own residential address and email address......

Your bogus ads will tie up their main call-in number with a flood of enquiries....

Keep in mind that the phone spammers will not be using the number they called you from for very long so act quickly.

CANADIAN CELLULAR SERVICE LIMITATIONS:

The inability of a cellular service to filter out spam and robocalls represents a failure to provide basic cell phone service to customers. Such companies might consider their corporate motto as "WE COULD HAVE DONE A LOT WORSE"! well that is just not good enough IMHO considering that most USA cellular and POTS phone companies have already resolved these issues allowing services such as JollyRoger and Robokiller apps to fix the problem closer to the source.

I've Been Here Awhile

I tried calling that spam number back and it says "this number doesn't accept anonymous calls".

Hey Rogers, can your customers get a similar protection from anonymous calls that these people get?

Thank you!

I've Been Around

Rogers wireless number claiming to be from CRA saying I am going to get arrested and a warrant will be issued for my immediate arrest. How are these numbers not being shut down? There are dozens of complaints about this number on other sites, just from today.

Good afternoon @Anna67!

Welcome to our Community!

We address scam calls alleging to come from the CRA in our Blog Post here: Does tax season lead to an increase in phishing activities. While we speak specifically to texts and emails, the advice in the post can apply to calls too.

You may want to report this incident directly to the RCMP through this website: Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Or ..... you could do something like this and totally waste the scammers time.  What goes around comes around as they say:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cra+scam+calls+2018

This is a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0v075OpmfQ

Coming on PPV!
Pacquaio vs. Broner Live
LIVE: Saturday January 19, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!
Live Weigh-In January 18th @ 6PM ET

Promotional content running all day on CH 368 DTV & 430 Ignite TV until January 19th @ 9PM

Topic Stats