cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRTC steps up efforts to combat spoofed calls

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

December 9, 2019 – The CRTC today took further steps to combat caller ID spoofing and determine the origins of nuisance calls. The CRTC expects telecommunications service providers will implement a new framework called STIR/SHAKEN* by September 30, 2020.

STIR/SHAKEN will enable service providers to certify whether a caller’s identity can be trusted by authenticating and verifying the caller ID information for Internet Protocol-based voice calls. This new framework will empower Canadians to determine which calls are authenticated, reducing the frequency and impact of caller ID spoofing.

This is the latest step in the CRTC’s broader efforts to combat nuisance and unsolicited calls. In the past year, the CRTC has encouraged service providers to offer their customers call-filtering services that provide advanced call-management features. Providers that do not offer these services must implement a system to block certain types of calls within their networks before the end of the year. The CRTC is also working with the industry to develop a process to trace nuisance calls back to their points of origin.

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2019/12/crtc-steps-up-efforts-to-c...

This is good news and  goes beyond the steps outlined in the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-calls-for-universal-netwo...

*Added Labels*

27 REPLIES 27

Re: CRTC steps up efforts to combat spoofed calls

RogersCorey

Thanks for posting this @57! I don't think this initiative is all too well known so let's get the word out!

I've been really excited for these steps to be implemented since they were first announced. I cancelled one of my numbers last year because it was just inundated with calls so I know these changes should come as welcome relief to all Canadians.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Yeah, this is the next logical step of many more that need to be taken.

By now, all telephony service providers should be blocking bogus phone numbers... which will force the robocallers to spoof "valid" random phone numbers, which this next step will help to combat.

However, even when SHAKEN/STIR eventually do get implemented, this is still not a complete solution.  We need TSPs to add intelligence to their networks that will detect robocalling patterns and give customers the ability to either block those nuisance calls or send them to voicemail.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

We need TSPs to add intelligence to their networks that will detect robocalling patterns and give customers the ability to either block those nuisance calls or send them to voicemail.

I noticed from a post over on Digital Home that Shaw has possibly implement algorithms that detect this and send suspect calls to VM.  You have to enable that option since I don't believe that service providers are currently allowed to globally block "real" phone numbers, but sending them to VM, at your option, would be OK.  Since most telemarketers don't leave VM, that would certainly help.  Rogers should get working on that.

I currently have my Panasonic Cordless home phones set up:

1. To only ring 3 times at most.

2. To ring differently for my "white list" numbers.  In my phone's directory I can set a distinctive ring for numbers in the directory.  If I don't hear a distinctive ring, I ignore the call.

3. If I don't pick up in time for someone I know, I can either call back or the (known) caller can leave a VM, or both.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@-G- wrote:

We need TSPs to add intelligence to their networks that will detect robocalling patterns and give customers the ability to either block those nuisance calls or send them to voicemail.

I noticed from a post over on Digital Home that Shaw has possibly implement algorithms that detect this and send suspect calls to VM.  You have to enable that option since I don't believe that service providers are currently allowed to globally block "real" phone numbers, but sending them to VM, at your option, would be OK.

That's my understanding as well.  Even calls from organizations that are exempt from the National DNCL are okay to block, if the customer opts in.  The only calls that absolutely cannot be blocked are those from a 911/Emergency PSAP.

Intelligent nuisance call blocking (that works) will be most welcome but I'll still be happy once we can finally trust Caller ID again.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
This is great news, cant wait to see this implemented.

EhmTeeEhf
I'm a reliable contributor

I too am very glad that the CRTC has finally realized that we need better protection from these types of calls. We were handcuffed for so long, I hope we can filter 99% of these calls permanently. It would make all our lives easier. Now if we could stop political robot calling. I would be super happy!

Yeegrek
I plan to stick around

Hello, 

Is there any service offered by Rogers now, or in the works, to help screen out those annoying CRA/Service Canada spam calls? One of my two Rogers Android phones is practically unusable now that they're spoofing local area codes. Additionally, I get calls from other frustrated people asking why I keep calling them (when my number pops up on the autodailer).

I've noticed that my friends with Pixels, and on other Canadian ISP's, have a screening service that has reduced those calls for them to zero. Is there any comparable Rogers system to deal with these?

Hello @Yeegrek

Thanks for your post!

I can understand how these calls can be very annoying as I get them too. 

Rogers has implemented universal call blocking to help reduce the number of unwanted calls.

While we don't have a system yet to completely eliminate spoofing/unwanted calls. We are always working with CRTC to eliminate these calls more and more.  

Cheers

RogersHarry

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Would someone @CommunityHelps please confirm if Rogers have implemented STIR/SHAKEN yet? It was supposed to be implemented September 30, 2020, however, I'm still receiving some spoofed telemarketing calls (for example spoofed calls from my exchange, etc.)  Link in post 1 copied again below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2019/12/crtc-steps-up-efforts-to-c...

Hello @57!

Thanks for posting your inquiry! 🙂

Please have a peek at this CRTC article for reference: https://bit.ly/3pxcvn

It appears that an extension to June 30th, 2021 has been granted. Hope this helps! 

RogersLaura

@RogersYasmine wrote:

Hello @57!  It appears that an extension to June 30th, 2021 has been granted. Hope this helps! 

Thanks.  It doesn't "help", but it does explain.  😉

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was wondering why I was still receiving spam calls after June 30th.   I found the following:

Despite several extensions already, we're in for yet another delay to November 30th 2021...

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2021/2021-123.htm?_ga=2.249081346.408639659.1625887744-1987628778.162...

It's too bad that Rogers hasn't implemented an algorithm like Shaw did (post 4), which could have precluded many spam calls for over a year already...

davidledyit
I've been around

The number of spam/phishing calls lately has reached the point where 9 out of 10 incoming calls to our land line are bogus calls.   Multiple calls per day.    Calls about 'suspicious packages', 'lowering my credit card rates', 'duct cleaning', 'social security investigations'.       It has reached a point where I'd like to implement a 'white-list' of phone numbers that are allowed to come through so that all others can be filtered out.

My father has a Rogers cell phone and he gets these scam calls too.

I've recently switched all of our mobile phones over to another provider, and haven't had any issues with spam calls. I'm wondering if other providers have implemented this Stirred/Shaken setup..    

dwdorken
I'm here a lot

One year later…I received four such calls today, two from CRA and one from Canada Boarder Services. Funny, that they were, according to call display,  using a Rogers cell phone. (I have a screen shot of the calls, if any techie @ Rogers cares.)

It would be nice if cell providers like Rogers would be a little more law-abiding than the scammers.

There’s a law to prevent these calls. There is technology to prevent these calls. Sadly, we need our cell providers to do something other than make excuses and make money by the truckload.

Make it stop. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dwdorken wrote:  There’s a law to prevent these calls.

See post 13. Rogers have until November 30, unless they are granted another extension.

dwdorken
I'm here a lot
What's that sound I hear? Heels dragging....

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
so true lol

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So, this should be implemented today and eliminate a lot of spam calls. Let's see...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-spam-crackdown-1.6267961

Unfortunately, this particular technology will not work with all phones (many home phones for example).  Check out the video in the above link.  It may serve to discourage some scammers?  Let's keep on this so that these calls are essentially eliminated.  My initial impression was that any "non-verified" callers would be blocked, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  Service providers should apply algorithms or optional "opt-in" blocking (to voicemail like Shaw does, or otherwise) to assist.

dwdorken
I'm here a lot

It only took 13 hours and 12 minutes for my first, post STIR/SHAKEN call. A Mandarin (I assume) robocall, call from phone number 86216399087.

Yep, an 11-digit phone number.

Unbelievable.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dwdorken wrote:

It only took 13 hours and 12 minutes for my first, post STIR/SHAKEN call. A Mandarin (I assume) robocall, call from phone number 86216399087.

Yep, an 11-digit phone number.

Unbelievable.

Okay, but keep in mind that STIR/SHAKEN is merely a measure to combat caller ID spoofing.  We can't currently block robocalls or calls from numbers that fail verification.

Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 11 in conversation