cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive SMS Text abroad

shmcheng
I've been around

Hi,

Can the Rogers Pay As You Go plan receive SMS text at Japan?  

Thank you.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Receive SMS Text abroad

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
That can depend on a number of things. Will you be purchasing an international plan, if available, or will you be loading your account with enough funds for the international rates for PAYG roaming? If your device is an iPhone. iMessage requires a data connection enabled to send and receive messages.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

LordDrakkon
That can depend on a number of things. Will you be purchasing an international plan, if available, or will you be loading your account with enough funds for the international rates for PAYG roaming? If your device is an iPhone. iMessage requires a data connection enabled to send and receive messages.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LordDrakkon wrote:
... If your device is an iPhone. iMessage requires a data connection enabled to send and receive messages.

Or WiFi.  I use WiFi to send/receive iMessages all the time on my iPhone SE2020, especially when travelling so there is no cost associated. I don't have data on my iPhone (Pre-paid, PAYGo).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@shmcheng I have used my iPhone SE2020 (And before that my iPhone 5S) to send and receive texts all over the world on my grandfathered PAYGo/Pre-paid plan (assuming you have a connection).  Just check the costs before you go.  I believe the charges for many countries are around C$0.75/text these days, but make sure you check.  Confirmed in Link below (Type the country into the destination box):

https://www.rogers.com/mobility/roaming?icid=R_WIR_CMH_195IZY

As I mentioned in my previous post, you can iMessage via WiFi at no cost to you.

Be aware that sometimes the connections in countries are not that great, although I would think that Japan would be fine. Last time I was in Costa Rica, my texts did not always get through to the other end.  I talked to the person and they said this happens quite a bit.   I had no such issues in Europe, or the US, or Mexico.

fiona59
I plan to stick around

I can make and receive texts in Europe and I use a Moto.  You just pay for them.

Get a local SIM or use wifi

LordDrakkon

WiFi is always an option but at the same time.  I personally don't use WiFi while roaming unless I am somewhere I trust the network.  It is so easily to have your phone compromised using WiFi networks.  I personally don't feel that it is worth the risk.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LordDrakkon wrote:  ...I personally don't use WiFi while roaming unless I am somewhere I trust the network...

I agree fully.  Another option is to use WhatsApp.  I personally don't, but lots of people do, especially outside North America.

fiona59
I plan to stick around

To use WhatsApp abroad, you still need data.   Just get a foreign SIM with data, still cheaper than Rogers abroad.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fiona59 wrote: To use WhatsApp abroad, you still need data.  

Or WiFi.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fiona59 wrote:

To use WhatsApp abroad, you still need data.   Just get a foreign SIM with data, still cheaper than Rogers abroad.

Just letting you know, a foreign SIM card is a great idea to keep in touch with people when travelling. I have been doing this a few times when travelling abroad.    You also should be aware that foreign SIM card also means having a foreign phone number too,  If you want people to communicate with you, it would be advisable to give them a heads up that you may be contacting them from a foreign phone number, otherwise they might find it suspicious or think you are a fraudster.

fiona59
I plan to stick around

I know of all that.  I think most adults do.

I send a mass email or text to those I'm most likely to contact.

I'm not a phone addict, nor do I need to talk to my adult children constantly

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 in conversation