cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay As You Go Number Lost because I forgot to top up my number

wissamak
I'm here a lot

Hi everyone, I have been outside Canada for some time now because of COVID. I forgot to top up my pas as you go number and now I lost it. I contacted Rogers and they said that it expired. I call the number and it tells me the number is not assigned. Any suggestions about how I can get my old number if possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pay As You Go Number Lost because I forgot to top up my number

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry, I have never done it before so I am not able to tell you for sure, but I cant see why it would not be possible?  worst case, you can always call their customer service even if you are in another country and ask them to do it?, I don't see why that would not be possible? maybe you can ask them over the phone if that can be done? they should have all the knowledge about whats possible and whats not?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only way to contact the PAYGo people is outlined in the following link.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Archived-Posts/Can-t-purchase-data-pass/m-p/426891/highlight/t...

They should be able to tell you if the number is still available.  If not, you're out of luck and will be wiser in the future.  If you wish to keep your account active, it's best to be on Auto-Pay.  Not sure if they're working today or tomorrow due to holidays.  I have always found these people to be most helpful.

wissamak
I'm here a lot

I did contact PAYGo people and they told me that there is another name after my name on the same number. I told them that when I call the number, I get a voice message that "The number is not assigned". They told me that my best option is to buy a new SIM card, activate it and try to put the old number on the new SIM card and see if it works. I am not sure at the moment but I hope that works.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good Luck. I don't see why you would need a new SIM. The existing SIM should be programmable to any available number. The issue with your "old" number may be that when that number is deemed "expired", it usually goes into a state of "limbo" for a few months to preclude the new person getting that number from being inundated with calls by people trying to connect to you.

I'm no expert on this topic so I'm not sure how to get that number "back" out of limbo for you to use.  I would have thought that Rogers would be the one to do that since they had access to it previously, but once it expires it may go into a pool of numbers for anyone to use once its time in limbo expires.

I'm not sure if going to a Rogers store would help.  It may require someone in a senior position somewhere to access your old number.  You may wish to search the web for methods to get your number back out of limbo.

wissamak
I'm here a lot

When I login to rogers.com online and I go to MyRogers to check my account. It tells me that my account number is Cancelled and offers to link a new account. I guess this means that the SIM card is no longer valid. Am I right? 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the account is actually deactivated, then the sim would be deactivated too.  Once a sim is deactivated, it can not be re-activated ever again, however a new sim can be activated.  You can re-activate your pay as you go account, however you might not be able to get the number back, or at least cant get it back right away.  The number goes into a "waiting pool" for a certain period and once its in there it can not be claimed by activation systems.  I personally do not know the waiting period for it to be released but its possible some reps with higher skill might be able to check or might be able to override, I do not know so I am merely suggesting you can give them a call and ask?

This is one of the downfalls of pay as u go in north america, you need to constantly top up your account otherwise you will lose it easily if you forget or get busy or under some sort of medical care or what not.

Is it possible to activate a NEW pay as you go SIM card from outside Canada?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While you may be able to call the Pay As You Go team from outside of Canada and give them the new SIM Card ICCID number, the sim card may need to be located within Canada for the wireless sim activation to work. This usually can only be done on the Home network the sim is provisioned to.   So if your outside of Canada aka Roaming, it is highly unlikely your sim will receive the Activation signal while roaming,  Thus your sim card will stay unregistered.

If I activate a new pay as you go SIM card from within Canada with a new wireless mobile number. Is it possible later for me to use MyRogers online account - while outside Canada - to configure the active SIM card with another wireless mobile number?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not entirely sure what  you mean by "to configure the active SIM card with another wireless mobile number?"

When you activate a new pay as you go line with a new sim card, you automatically get a wireless mobile phone number at the time of activation. Do you mean you wish to Change the number to a different one at a later time -or- port in a number from another Canadian wireless provider?  please elaborate, thanks

yes, I want to change the number to a different one at a later time.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry, I have never done it before so I am not able to tell you for sure, but I cant see why it would not be possible?  worst case, you can always call their customer service even if you are in another country and ask them to do it?, I don't see why that would not be possible? maybe you can ask them over the phone if that can be done? they should have all the knowledge about whats possible and whats not?

Many thanks. You've been of tremendous help. Thank you so much.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation