cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My New Number Belongs to Someone Else

fahadfrc
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I am a new immigrant and landed in Canada for the first time. I purchased a Rogers prepaid sim at the airport (on 12 June 2023). Since I activated this new number, I am receiving atleast 20 calls daily from banks and other financial institutes and even from random people and they all are asking for one specific person who did not return their loans. I am sick of responding and telling them that this number does not belong to the person they are looking for and I have blocked atleast 100 numbers but still a new number calls me daily.

I visited Rogers offices at two different locations and they refused to help me and advise me to contact the helpline. I contacted the helpline they said we can only help you if you are a post-paid customer, for pre-paid sim we can not change a number.

I sent inquiry/complaint through Rogers website and never heard back (sent it a month ago). The last solution is to destroy this sim and purchase another number from any reasonable service provider who give a listening ear atleast. I have not done it so far because I already shared this number with family/friends and at my workplace but I think there is no other solution. Trying here for the last time, if anyone has any suggestion for me please share.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: My New Number Belongs to Someone Else

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

57 is correct. Funny enough, the Rogers retail stores will activate you on Prepaid, but when you have issues, they can not help they will refer you to call the prepaid customer service, which is a free call from your phone, by calling *611.  No other group in Rogers can assist with prepaid issues nor are they knowledgeable in what the policies are, so take their answer with a grain of salt, and do you really really think rogers will not allow a customer to change their number? c'mon, were in 2023, when someone tells you this nonsense id question them. of course you can change your number.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You CAN change your phone number,  you probably have a number that belonged to someone who owes people a lot of money, just save yourself from the misery and change your number, just call Rogers Prepaid (Formerly Rogers Pay As You Go) customer service and talk to them, make sure your calling the prepaid customer service not the postpaid number.

hope this helps

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fahadfrc : As mentioned by @Pauly above, you need to talk to the Rogers Pre-paid people. Here's how to contact them.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/Pay-as-you-go-improper-data-charges/m-p/440166/h...

This is the only way to contact Rogers Pre-paid.   Any other contact with Rogers will be fruitless because they don't deal with Pre-paid, although I'm not sure if even the Pre-paid people will be able to assist with your particular situation. I have always found them to be most helpful and they typically answer quite quickly. 

Instead of dialing the toll free number listed in the link above using your cell phone, which will cost money, dial *611 instead and use the same instructions.  *611 is a free call from a pre-paid phone.  The toll-free number is only "free" if you call from a landline or a cell phone which has unlimited calling.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

57 is correct. Funny enough, the Rogers retail stores will activate you on Prepaid, but when you have issues, they can not help they will refer you to call the prepaid customer service, which is a free call from your phone, by calling *611.  No other group in Rogers can assist with prepaid issues nor are they knowledgeable in what the policies are, so take their answer with a grain of salt, and do you really really think rogers will not allow a customer to change their number? c'mon, were in 2023, when someone tells you this nonsense id question them. of course you can change your number.

fahadfrc
I've been here awhile

Thanks a lot, you people are blessing 🙏 i followed your instructions and my number is changed through this helpline you suggested. I really appreciate your support.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fahadfrc : Good to hear. Thank you for your feedback. Lots of times people don't bother.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes it is true lots of people do not bother providing feedback. We are glad you took the time to do so. You help make this community a great place.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

That is particularly egregious and expensive with a prepaid phone because you're getting charged for all those incoming calls and texts.  Keep a list of the charges and get reimbursed when you call the PayGo help line to change your number.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The PayGo helpline is now called the Rogers Prepaid customer service, they no longer refer to it as Rogers Pay As You Go, or Pay Go

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 24 Likes
  • 4 in conversation