cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a simple phone plan

ProfLeigh
I've been around

We're looking to get rid of our home phone and switch to a simple mobile phone plan for my husband. He just wants talk and text, nothing more. What do you recommend? Is there anything available that isn't a smart phone?

**Labels Updated**

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Looking for a simple phone plan

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The various Pre-paid plans are outlined in the following link:

https://www.rogers.com/plans/prepaid

If you wish to go pre-paid, I suggest you bring your own phone (BYOD - Device). That way you can purchase any phone you like, new or used or get a used one from a friend, perhaps for free, as their phone is replaced.  You just need to check with Rogers that the particular phone will work.  I'm currently using an Apple SE2020 that I purchased in late 2020.

LordDrakkon
I'm an advisor
A non-smartphone is a bit of a challenge. They might exist but finding something compatible with VoLTE is more of the challenge. Apple devices are much more reliant on data to work than Android. If you are not interested in a data plan. An Android device would make more sense as iMessage needs data to fully function but can send an SMS. Android devices have RCS and so will iPhones as of iOS 18 but that also requires data. Android devices and most texting apps also fully support SMS/MMS without having to do anything other than having the correct APN.

There is something called Light phone, which might be more of what you are looking for. I haven't personally seen there I'm Canada yet but I haven't actually went looking for them. No social media, no e-mail, and pretty much tick all of the right boxes for a modern dumbphone.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LordDrakkon wrote:  ...iMessage needs data to fully function but can send an SMS. 

Clarification.  iMessages can be sent or received when connected to WiFi for free. WiFi is available almost anywhere these days.  There is also an option in an iPhone to send/receive iMessages as texts.  Obviously, when sent as texts instead of via WiFi, they will "count" towards your "text count", if it's not unlimited.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have seen some really good AFFORDABLE POSTPAID plans for low usage individuals such as teens, students and even elderly folks

I have seen one advertised for as low as $25 and it includes unlimited calls and texting.  Sometimes spending a fixed amount per month is good because you do not have to spend extra time keeping track about how many text messages you send and trying to be under a certain threshold, and same goes for long distance, canada wide calling is also great to have

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation