cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local calls are being treated as Long Distance

MisterWard
I've been around

When people call me they have to dial 1 plus my 10 digit phone number. My phone is a little a local phone (greater Vancouver area) and so are the landlines that are calling me. Example... My Rogers cell phone number is 604-123-4567 and to call me from 604-555-5555,you have to dial 1-604-123-4567.
Whats going on? Everything is local to my area

***Edited Labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Local calls are being treated as Long Distance

RogersZia

Hello @MisterWard,

Welcome to the Community!

Did you recently change your price plan? Is this for all the people trying to contact you or people in a specific area? Typically adding a 1 shouldn't generate a charge for people who are calling you but we can review your account to see if any features are causing this prompt. 

Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further.

RogersZia

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Give me your Area Code and the FIRST THREE digits of your number,   then give me the same for the person trying to call you, I will check if its a local call or not.  thanks

mauruiz
I've been around

My wife is having the same problems, and it started randomly. Did you find out what happened and a solution? Thanks!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Waiting for MisterWard to confirm the area code and first 3 digits of the phone numbers, and I can check if its indeed local vs long distance

berniemcmc63
I've been here awhile

Does it have to do with the address on your Rogers account?  I moved from Abbotsford to Vancouver.  I am having this problem.  Interestingly, I used to live in Richmond with the same phone number before moving to Abbotsford.  Somewhere along the line, the Rogers system stopped considering me a local call for Richmond after I moved to Abbotsford.  It has not yet figured out that I am again living in a place that is not long distance from Richmond, yet it forces a long distance call.  I thought I had called Rogers tech support when I moved to Abbey to solve this when I moved that way, but maybe not.  I called support tonight and got a very contradictory response that I had to change my phone number to change my local calling area.  If that is the case, why did it change in the other direction 6 years ago without me changing my phone number?  Curious.  I also need to be local to Vancouver so that the enterphone for my strata will call my cell.  I am without enterphone until I figure this out.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hello berniemcmc63

Long distance is determined by which rate centre your phone number is assigned to

you need to reside within a local rate centre and also have a phone number originating from that rate centre.

what is the area code and first 3 digits of your phone number and the number you are trying to call? i will look it up

berniemcmc63
I've been here awhile

I don't know the number that is trying to call me as that is embedded in the enterphone system of our strata. However, my phone originally was set up when i lived in Richmond. These days, you can carry your number anywhere in the province. Your local calling area should follow you. How does one reset that?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you did not give me the area code and first 3 digits like I asked,  also you can ask your building super intendant for this info they will be happy to provide it to you

berniemcmc63
I've been here awhile
Ya, sorry. The request for me to provide feedback on this app chopped it off. My numbers are 778-822.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

NPA-NXX

Rate Centre

Region

Switch

OCN

778-822

New Westminster

BC

NWMRBCBTDMD 

8821 ROGERS

Your phone number is a New Westminister number. Is that where you live?

You have local calling to 22 other exchanges, calling exchanges outside of these are treated as long distance.

What is the area code and first 3 digits of the number you are calling? we can find out if this numbers rate centre is local to yours.  without knowing this, it will be impossible to say if the number you are calling or the number calling you is treated as a local call or long distance call, they must give you this info.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation