cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE-MF-279T Rocket Hub with IP Cameras.

suew3026
I plan to stick around

I have just purchased a Rogers ZTE-MF-279T Rocket Hub (became available Jan 2019) because I want to use it for accessing IP security cameras and monitor a solar power system at our cottage. I have tested it with one IP camera and it works fine. I can access it from my phone app from either a public wifi or Rogers cellular.
I am a beginner to this stuff and have heard that Rogers may change my public access IP address at any time which means I would have to re-configure the camera(s) and presumably it would effect the link to the solar equipment. I haven't educated myself on DDNS yet which I understand may be a solution but before I dive in any deeper perhaps someone could answer some basic questions.
1) How often do Rogers actually change the IP? Perhaps I am exaggerating the problem.
2) Is there a solution using DDNS that will work with the ZTE-MF-279T for all IP devices, not just the cameras?
3) How do I go about implementing DDNS?

Thanks
Tony

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: ZTE-MF-279T Rocket Hub with IP Cameras.

suew3026
I plan to stick around

I carried out a test of what happens when the Rocket hub external IP address changes i.e. do I lose contact with my IP cameras? I forced the IP address to change by switching the Rocket hub off and on and then checked the IP address using "Whatsmyip" This showed that every time you do this (switch off and on) the Rogers allocated external IP address does in fact change. The good news is that it did not affect communication with the cameras. It was as if nothing had happened. I confirmed the contact using both a public wifi (McDonalds) and via a cellular data connection. I also tested connection with a remote wifi AC wall outlet switch (as used in Smart Homes) and got the same results.

So it seems that there is no problem and I don't need to get into DDNS with the Rocket Hub

Tony

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersCorey

Good afternoon @suew3026!

Welcome to our Community!

Hopefully one of our intrepid Community members can help you with DDNS but I can answer the IP address question. 🙂

You can check your IP lease time by doing an ipconfig /all from a command prompt connected to your network. Your IP address could change when the lease renews but if that IP address is still available, it is possible you will simply renew the current IP address.

The chance of an IP address renewal always being there, I would highly recommend you do not rely on the hopes it won't renew and be sure to implement a workaround.

Good luck!

Regards,

RogersCorey

suew3026
I plan to stick around

I carried out a test of what happens when the Rocket hub external IP address changes i.e. do I lose contact with my IP cameras? I forced the IP address to change by switching the Rocket hub off and on and then checked the IP address using "Whatsmyip" This showed that every time you do this (switch off and on) the Rogers allocated external IP address does in fact change. The good news is that it did not affect communication with the cameras. It was as if nothing had happened. I confirmed the contact using both a public wifi (McDonalds) and via a cellular data connection. I also tested connection with a remote wifi AC wall outlet switch (as used in Smart Homes) and got the same results.

So it seems that there is no problem and I don't need to get into DDNS with the Rocket Hub

Tony

RogersMoin

Hello, @suew3026.

Thank you so much for updating the Community with the tests results. It's certainly helpful to any member who is looking to use a Rocket Hub to access security cameras etc. remotely. 

I appreciate your contribution. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

MaryNC
I've been here awhile

I have an IP camera, about 10 years old (Vivotek) has always worked well with internet providers but in June we switched over to the Rocket Hub. I've done all that is required for port forwarding and I can log into the app viewer while on wifi. The camera also sends motion pictures as set up. The problem is that I can't log into the app viewer when I'm away or on my PC. I've done the what'smyipaddress and it doesn't show up as an open port. I also have 3 foscam cameras, 2 of them show up on wifi and the net in the app viewer, while one of them only shows up on the wifi. I've input in the information identically for all of them. The camera people say it's a router problem and Rogers says it's a camera problem. Why do the ports not show up as open when we go to what'smyipaddress?

Hey @MaryNC

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your very first post with us! 🙌 I hope you're staying safe and sound. I know first hand the importance of ensuring everything is set up and in working order. That's definitely not the type of experience we want you to be having. With that said, have you had the chance to have a gander at @suew3026's post? It's super helpful and you can totally have a look at it HERE

In the event that you still require assistance, feel free to send us a message at @CommunityHelps we'd be more than happy to have a look into this for you! 😊 

RogersJo 

MaryNC
I've been here awhile

Thanks for your reply. I do understand about IP addresses and that is not the issue as the camera has a static IP. My issues is that the ports do not show up as open when you go through whatsmyipaddress. The camera people have been on with me and we have set up the port forwarding they then go on and check it through whatsmyip and it doesn't show up as open. I can view my camera when on wifi and the camera communicates with the router since I do  get pictures of motion alerts, but if I'm at another location I cannot login to the camera. 

Is there something else I should be enabling? like port filtering or something else?

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation