Rocket HUB external antenna

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Rocket HUB external antenna

I'm wondering if Rogers will ever introduce a Rocket HUB with external antenna capabilities again. My trusty old NetComm is getting aged and limited to 3G.

***Edited Labels***

I've Been Around

Re: Rocket HUB external antenna

In the promo literature it states that an external antenna may be connected to the Rocket Hub (Netcomm). Has anyone seen benefit in adding one? Where are these available? Preferably close to K-W region. What is the connection called that the antenna cable needs to connect to?

***Edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

@dmart:

if you have low cellular network signal strength in your location, it will definitely help to get an external antenna.  An external antenna can be mounted outside your dwelling, at a greater physical height, and will provide you with greater signal strength.

If you refer to the Netcomm documentation, you will find that the antenna connector on the Netcomm is an SMA connection.  Just unscrew the existing antenna attached to the device to connect the cable going to your external antenna.

I suggest checking for antennas on the Internet.  I use the following:

http://www.alternativewireless.com/wilson-wide-band-log-per-dir-antenna-50ohm-n-f.html

I use an Ericsson W35 RocketHub and in my current location an external antenna is essential.

skinorth

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I Plan to Stick Around

I purchased a Wilson 50 Ohm dual/wide band Yagi directional antenna (part # 304411) on Ebay for $60, along with a length of LMR-240 antenna cable. The antenna must be installed outside and pointed directly to the cell tower. The end result was a boost in signal strength from -101 dBm to -73dBm. If the antenna is installed on a metallic mast, I would highly recommend a lightning arrester.

I Plan to Stick Around

Be careful that you can send the antenna back if it doesn't work for you.

I installed the yagi sold by City Wireless ( http://www.citywireless.ca/yagi_install_instruction.html) and ended up with the same signal as I get with the tiny antenna that comes with the NetComm. Disappointing, for sure. Fortunately, they'll give me a refund.

Not sure why the antenna didn't work. I installed it 10 feet above the roof and pointing at the cell tower. The built-in antenna sits on my desk and, as I said, got the same medium signal.

I've Been Around

Do any Rogers or other stores have external antennas for the Rocket Hub in stock ? 

I'm trying to avoid ordering online , but cant seem to find any stores that have them in stock (bestbuy, futureshop and the source all show online only)

I'm in the Kenora area but have also looked in Winnipeg . 

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont think the rogers stores ever sold them at all, that i recall ever seeing.

I Plan to Stick Around

I bought an external yagi 11db antenna off Ebay (china) for $30US + $10 for 15ft cable (both with the correct connectors!). Both arrived in 2 weeks. Have yet to try them though. There was an Toronto location selling off Ebay come to think of it specifically for the Rocket Hub for something like $80

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Hey @BeerHunter125

Which model do you currently have?
I know which external antenna you are talking about, but I wasn't aware that new Rocket Hub doesn't have the capability of it. hmm. I am going to look into that, mind if you provide me your current model number of your NetComm?