cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Different Router with 5G Home Internet

Bodom-
I've been here awhile
Hey Roger’s Forums,

Currently I have the new Rogers 5G Home Internet package that comes paired with the Nokia FastMile and am trying to use the SIM in a different router with no luck. I’m trying to get it working with a Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6550) as there will be times I don’t have power for the Nokia FastMile, and continually get two errors. The first error tells me I need to confirm the APN, which I copied from the FastMile, turns out it doesn’t use the standard Rogers APN, but uses fwach2.apn instead. The second error tells me “MM#6: Restrictions on the data plan is detected. Please contact your ISP.” which I have done, but no one seems to be able to give a definitive answer on why it doesn’t work. Even with the correct APN I’m unable to connect.

So I came here in hopes of finding an answer, or even a different device that is compatible.

TIA!

Edit: i should also mention the results are the same when using the normal Rogers APN settings.

***Edited Labels***
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Use Different Router with 5G Home Internet

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bodom- I have no idea whether your router is compatible with Rogers' service.  Rogers certainly won't provide any support for it.

How do you have the network settings configured?  I believe Rogers' mobile networks are built on an IPv6 core and use 464XLAT to provide IPv4 connectivity.

Spectrox
I plan to stick around

The SIM that comes with the Nokia FastMile Gateway is locked to range IMEI’s. It will not function in other devices.

Bodom-
I've been here awhile

I believe this is the answer.  
The included SIM wouldn't work on any device, even other devices that currently work on the Rogers network.

hunmin
I've been around
I have a similar issue. I have 2 inseego m3000 and both are a Rogers device but only the one that was ship to me from Rogers would work. The one I bought from another Rogers customer would not work. Originally I bought it to use it on one of those 15.00 dollars 4gb data plan until I saw the 5g home Internet offer.

davidwhite47
I've been around

Great of rogers to take a service away again.

This time I have had a 4G data card in a peplink router in my RV for years and it worked fine. They pushed me to a 5G plan and the sim won't work in the router I am sure for the reasons stated above. 

I particularly enjoyed the 1.5 hrs on the phone to get an annoyed tier 2 support person on the phone who could not understand how I got to him and flat said too bad we don;t support it.

Bodom-
I've been here awhile
Sad that nothing has changed in 3mo.
That was mostly the same experience I had, no one knew what they were talking about and kept on transferring me to different departments and eventually telling me the device I was trying to use wasn’t supported (even after telling them I was trying to use it on devices currently running on the Rogers network).

I really hope one day we can use the SIM on our own devices since it seems like we’re only renting the Nokia router and it’ll eventually have to be returned. I would love to be able to use a different router since there’s no ports for range extenders on the Nokia device.

pboudreau
I've been around

I have a ZTE device with a public ip address and Rogers sent me a new Nokia 5G device to replace it.  I still see the option in my rogers account for the new device, but the IP isn't publicly accessible.  With my ZTE device, I had to change the apn to ltepublicip.apn for it to work.  Is there something equivalent for the 5G network?

I found APN settings in the Nokia device web ui under Network / Cellular / APN - Access Point Name
It is currently set to fwach2.apn

ehcanadian83
I've been around

Was one of the early adaptors to the 5G service.

Initially you could use any device with the sim card. Then they changed the Video streaming rate then they started only allowing the Nokia FastMile devices (I found this out as my MR100 would be network rejected one morning).

I took my fastmile apart and tried disconnecting some of the antennas as its a stupid device that doesn't do banding very well.

So I had to buy a booster and climb up the old tv reception tower and mount it. I had bought some sma adaptors to connect it to the booster directly. The problem was it was still trying to band multiple antennas so my speed sucked. 

So I grabbed one of my Nighthawks MR1000 that has the ability to IEMI mask.

Cloned the fastmile iemi. Got a 45w usb c to usb c charger. Life been better (running this setup for almost a year now)

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 in conversation