cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wismer Fibre Internet

CSMRA
I'm here a lot

Hello,

I've been receiving calls from Rogers, but have not answered thinking it's spam.  It's for notification to have my modem switched out to the GPON modem to support fibre internet.  I am currently on the Ignite 150u plan with the Rocket WiFi modem.  They're telling me that this needs to be done by Mar. 31, 2023.  Is this true?  Or can I switch later on when I am ready?  My setup is working fine, although the higher speeds promised by fibre are tempting I am getting the advertised speed (and sometimes above and beyond) so don't see the need to make any changes right now...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wismer Fibre Internet

Hello, @CSMRA 

Thank you for posting your concern to the community!

If your area is currently undergoing upgrades to Fibre-to-the-Home you would need to migrate to our new Ignite TV and Internet platform as the Legacy platform will begin to be phased out of your area shortly after the work has begun.

I would recommend that you return the calls you've been receiving to see what options are available to you and to ensure that your service is not interrupted.

RogersTony

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CSMRA
I'm here a lot

Sorry, forgot to mention I'm in the McCowan/Major Mac area in Markham.  I am aware that there was work done to upgrade the infrastructure a few months ago.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CSMRA have you had Rogers run fibre to your home and do you now have an fibre optic drop located in your home?  If that's the case, then you will receive or already have a Nokia Optical Network Terminal (ONT) which will connect to that fibre drop via fibre optic patch cable.  That ONT is then connected via ethernet to a modem.   That modem will be an XB7 (Gen 2) or XB8 (Gen 3) modem, as seen on the left hand side of this reference page:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/setup-install

Just to note, its possible to connect the ONT to a router, removing the modem completely from the ONT to router path. 

The ONT has a multi-gig ethernet port which allows the connected device to run 1.5 or 2.5 Gb/s which are the highest data rate plans that Rogers offers at the moment.  The ONT ethernet port will run faster than 2.5 Gb/s. 

For more information on the ONTs and the specific connection to the ONT, please read thru the following post when you have time:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/How-to-disable-Rogers-Ignite-Wifi-Hub-remote-manageme...

CSMRA
I'm here a lot

Thanks @Datalink !!  No, there is no fibre optic drop from Rogers inside my home, I think that's what Rogers is trying to call about, but if there's any way I can defer to this to some other time, I would prefer that.  I'm currently running the old coaxial equipment with the old CGN modem.  Asking on this forum instead of talking to an agent in case this is really an upsell.  They state that it needs to be switched by Mar. 31 but my bill also did not have any messages on it, I would think for something mandatory there would be something in writing (whether on my bill or through email) but that's just my guess.

Hello, @CSMRA 

Thank you for posting your concern to the community!

If your area is currently undergoing upgrades to Fibre-to-the-Home you would need to migrate to our new Ignite TV and Internet platform as the Legacy platform will begin to be phased out of your area shortly after the work has begun.

I would recommend that you return the calls you've been receiving to see what options are available to you and to ensure that your service is not interrupted.

RogersTony

CSMRA
I'm here a lot

Thanks for that clarify @RogersTony !!  Will do.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation