cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Not Providing Application Passwords?

DS256
I plan to stick around

I received an error from my Thunderbird Email client that my @rogers password was not accepted. I hadn't changed anything so logged into Rogers Yahoo and in Application Password, I can't generate a new password. The Generate button never becomes active.

Capture.JPG

I then found this page which shows application passwords are not available 

Capture.JPG

I've tried several times over the past week it appears, except for IOS and Android, no other email clients are being supported.

Am I wrong? Can someone advise when application passwords will be available again?

Thanks 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Not Providing Application Passwords?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DS256 wrote:

1. Thanks @57 but I was looking for something from Rogers rather than the helpful community folks.

2. My web password does not work on Thunderbird 115.8.1 . I still get "Login to server imap.broadband.rogers.com with username @xx.yyy@rogers.com failed.".

1. Unfortunately, we have received no firm feedback from Rogers regarding the App PW Generator since last March.  In light of the 15 month timeframe since it went down, and in light of the recent FAQ, we have surmised that the App PW Generator will not be fixed.

2. I'm not sure how it works on Thunderbird, however, when the App PW was "lost" on my wife's e-mail in Outlook e-mail client, when Outlook said it didn't work, Outlook asked if I wished to login using "Yahoo!", not Rogers, similar to how it's done on an app in a device like a tablet or phone.  After doing a backup, you may wish to "delete" the Rogers e-mail account and start fresh in creating an account. That may then allow you to connect using the e-mail address and the webmail PW.  In this way you are no longer using the imap.broadband.rogers.com.  Another way may be to go into the account, delete the server information in the account and see if then asks you for the setup information.

Several people on this forum do have the most recent PC Thunderbird working with Rogers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DS256 : Here's a summary post on this topic, which has been discussed extensively in several threads over the past 15 months. Please check it out.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Can-t-create-App-password/m-p/524346/highlight/true#M...

In addition to the information in the above post, the latest version of Thunderbird for PC should not require an app PW, so it should work without it. Use your regular password that you use to get into Webmail (Rogers Member Centre). If you have a Mac, you're out of luck at this time regarding Thunderbird. The app PW functionality on Rogers e-mail will not return or be fixed.

In addition, see the following FAQ regarding Rogers e-mails. The writing is on the wall for Rogers e-mail, even though it may take a few years.  Many people are switching their e-mails to Gmail or Yahoo! (not Rogers/Yahoo!) e-mail.

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/rogers-yahoo-mail-change-faq

DS256
I plan to stick around

Thanks @57 but I was looking for something from Rogers rather than the helpful community folks.

My web password does not work on Thunderbird 115.8.1 . I still get "Login to server imap.broadband.rogers.com with username @xx.yyy@rogers.com failed.". I can get to my Bell and Google email accounts from Thunderbird.

So it looks like Rogers is quietly abandoning it's email users. Time to delete my @Rogers account.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DS256 wrote:

1. Thanks @57 but I was looking for something from Rogers rather than the helpful community folks.

2. My web password does not work on Thunderbird 115.8.1 . I still get "Login to server imap.broadband.rogers.com with username @xx.yyy@rogers.com failed.".

1. Unfortunately, we have received no firm feedback from Rogers regarding the App PW Generator since last March.  In light of the 15 month timeframe since it went down, and in light of the recent FAQ, we have surmised that the App PW Generator will not be fixed.

2. I'm not sure how it works on Thunderbird, however, when the App PW was "lost" on my wife's e-mail in Outlook e-mail client, when Outlook said it didn't work, Outlook asked if I wished to login using "Yahoo!", not Rogers, similar to how it's done on an app in a device like a tablet or phone.  After doing a backup, you may wish to "delete" the Rogers e-mail account and start fresh in creating an account. That may then allow you to connect using the e-mail address and the webmail PW.  In this way you are no longer using the imap.broadband.rogers.com.  Another way may be to go into the account, delete the server information in the account and see if then asks you for the setup information.

Several people on this forum do have the most recent PC Thunderbird working with Rogers.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation