cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers 1.5Gbps - Now throttled to 500mbps (Was 1700-1900)

Smols
I plan to stick around

I have serious concerns that Rogers may be under-provisioning modems in areas where the network cannot handle the loads, potentially affecting service quality. I recently upgraded from 1 Gbps to Ignite 1.5 Gbps and was consistently benchmarking at 1900 Mbps until two weeks ago. Now, the speed has dropped to 400-600 Mbps, and the internet is noticeably slower, resolving slow and highly problematic. 

I conducted router and modem benchmarks, switched to Cat 8e cables and 2.5 Gbps ports, and changed ethernet cords, but the issue persists. The modem is detecting fine, and no changes have been made to signals, etc, even with a reset identical speeds. 

I suspect that Rogers might be intentionally mis-provisioning modems, possibly by "accident," as the speeds are now identical to what we had with the 1 Gbps plan. Considering the impact on Ignite TV's bandwidth consumption we have worse internet vs when we were on legacy services, its terrible! 

60-75% speed reduction. Awesome! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers 1.5Gbps - Now throttled to 500mbps (Was 1700-1900)

Smols
I plan to stick around

Anyone reading we fixed the issue, but have no conclusive idea why this occured. 

- We replaced all lines COAX and Ethernet 
- We ran new lines from the street. 
- We replaced the modem. 

Same results 600 Mbps speed to 900 max. 

Contacted forum support and they were getting full speeds from their side of the test. 
We reset the new modem and it suddenly pulled full speeds? 

Regardless its working now. We're happy. 
Thank you to forum Mods

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I doubt that the modem has been provisioned lower, rather the speeds in your area may simply be affected by maintenance or bandwidth limitations.  Have you tried a speedtest at various times of day, say off-peak late at night or early morning?

I assume that you've got an XB7 or XB8 gateway (modem), connected via Ethernet to port 4 to a computer for testing purposes. WiFi has much higher variations.  See discussion in my post in the following link and the few links that follow:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Speeds/m-p/510588/highlight/true#M75402

Edit - PS. If they provisioned the modem to 1 Gbps, you'd probably be seeing 940 Mbps via Ethernet.

Smols
I plan to stick around

We're testing a 10Gbp ports to the 2.5gbp port on the modem. 
The tests run every hour theres no variances, its locked 600-700 range any time of day. 
If we run certain speed tests we'll hit 900 max, identical to our 1Gbps provisioning. 

We switched modems today, we had 1.5Gbps speeds then when the tech left and went into his van and left we went back to 600mbps. 

Something is going on. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You may wish to PM the mods on this forum to see if there is something going on in your area:

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps   .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

When logged into the forum, check the envelope icon at the top right of the screen for messages.  You would usually also receive an e-mail that you have a PM, but it may have ended up in your spam folder...

Smols
I plan to stick around

Anyone reading we fixed the issue, but have no conclusive idea why this occured. 

- We replaced all lines COAX and Ethernet 
- We ran new lines from the street. 
- We replaced the modem. 

Same results 600 Mbps speed to 900 max. 

Contacted forum support and they were getting full speeds from their side of the test. 
We reset the new modem and it suddenly pulled full speeds? 

Regardless its working now. We're happy. 
Thank you to forum Mods

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Smols  For the sake of my curiosity, what equipment do you have on the network path between the modem and the computer that is performing the speed test?

When you were experiencing the slow speeds, do you recall whether "Gateway > Hardware > LAN Ethernet" showed you as being connected at 2500 Mbps on LAN Port 4?

danno100
I plan to stick around

Funny you mention that. I had an old Ignite package with 1 G service was was seeing around 850mbs down/55 up.

Now on a new package they moved me to with 1.5GBS and only seeing high 700 to low 800..upstream still same. Should be getting credit each month.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@danno100 wrote:

Funny you mention that. I had an old Ignite package with 1 G service was was seeing around 850mbs down/55 up.

Now on a new package they moved me to with 1.5GBS and only seeing high 700 to low 800..upstream still same. Should be getting credit each month.

Okay, but when you upgrade your Internet service, you are just increasing the amount of bandwidth that is available to all the devices in your home.  Any device's individual transfer rate is subject to the speed of its own network connection.  With the 1.5 Gigabit Internet service, to break the 1 Gbps speed barrier, you will need either a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet adapter (to Port 4, the 2.5 GigE port on an XB7 or XB8 gateway) or a Wi-Fi 6E connection (with an XB8 gateway) at close range.

danno100
I plan to stick around

I checked right off the ethernet port on the back of the gateway. It's one of the new ones.So don't tell me that. The system can't handle it, Coax sucks we need FTTH.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@danno100 : Although you may be connected via Ethernet to port 4, many people don't realize that their computers (and many devices) are limited to 1 Gbps (940 Mbps after overhead), unless they have a 2.5 or 10 Gbps Ethernet card in their computer, which most people do not have.  That you need to check

As for WiFi connections, they can vary by device, device location, WiFi interference, etc.  Check the web for how to optimize WiFi.

Coax is just fine for download speeds as people easily get over 1Gbps, usually 1.8-1.9 Gbps if their equipment can handle it.  Most people's equipment cannot.

Just as an FYI, Rogers FTTH has a setup whereby port 4 of the Gateway is utilized for the connection to the ONT and you end up with a 1 Gbps limitation on the other three Ethernet ports.

The intention of these higher speeds is for homes with numerous users so that each user can have a higher speed.  Currently speeds above 1 Gbps on a single device have almost zero value.

You can check the speed coming into your home by running a speedtest on several devices at the same time and adding up the connection speeds.  Say a phone, a tablet, a computer, etc.  You may, for example, get 600, 600, 600 on each of 3 devices.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation