cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple public IPs with Rogers home Internet?

oakitchy
I've been around

Hi there,

Is there a way for me to get 2 different public IP addresses with Rogers on a standard Home plan? They do not need to be static IPs. Just separate public IPs.

Is there an extra fee?

To be clear- They must be public IPs, not internal networks. I'd probably prefer to have a totally separate router for the 2nd IP.

Is it as simple as buying an extra Rogers modem, and plugging it into another cable jack in my home?

Thank you

***Edited Labels***

1 REPLY 1

Re: Multiple public IPs with Rogers home Internet?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@oakitchy if you have a black Hitron CGN3xxx modem, or a white Hitron CODA-4582 modem (there is only one white modem in Rogers range of modems) then you can simply connect a second router to the modem when the modem is in Bridge mode.  The product sticker can be found on the back of the modem.  Those modems will allow two devices (routers or other device) to connect to them, and end up with independent IPV4 and IPV6 address.  Typically all you have to do is connect the second router, power it up and reboot or restart the modem.  After the modem reboot/restart, both routers should have their own IPV4 and IPV6 addresses. 

If for some reason the second router doesn't end up with its own IPV4 and IPV6 address, disconnect the first, original router, leaving the second router connected and running and reboot/restart the modem.  After that modem reboot/restart the second router should have its own IPV4 and IPV6 address.  At that point, reconnect the first router power it up and reboot/restart the modem.  The end result should see both routers with their own IPV4 and IPV6 addresses.  

Note that each router will be running its own independent network.  There is no crossover in the modem. 

If you have one of the new XB6 modems used for the Ignite IPTV TV service, I don't believe that its possible to have two independent routers running from that modem.  It might be possible, but I haven't seen anyone attempt to do that up to this point.  

Note that Rogers won't allow a second modem on the same account.  This brings up the question of, can you set up a second account, install a splitter on the incoming cable and connect a second modem to the second port off of the splitter?  Thats a question for the moderators at @CommunityHelps, and the question simply is, can you have a second account, under the same individuals name, at the same address?  If not, i would think that the solution should be to set up a second account under a different name.  The moderators should be able to clear the air on this issue. 

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation