cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem loses connection to Rogers network every month

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Hi everyone,

Even though I'm on Ignite, I'm posting this here because my issue is NOT related to the Ignite platform, and I've had this problem even when I was on legacy internet with the CODA-4582 modem.  I have reported this problem to Rogers three times - once in June when they opened a "monitoring" ticket for 7 days and didn't find anything wrong; again in July when they opened another monitoring ticket for 7 days, and again, didn't find anything wrong; and again today (because it just happened again), but this time they escalated a ticket for further investigation since this issue occurs monthly like clock work.

The problem that occurs monthly is that the modem will completely lose its connection to the network for about 10 mins.  Once it re-establishes the connection, everything is fine for another ~month until the exact same thing happens again.  It's never on the same day of the month but fairly close.  For example, in June, it occurred on the 22nd.  In July, it occurred on the 19th.  And it occurred again today (20th of August).  And again, the internet is down for only about 10 mins each time it happens.  I also had this issue in May, April, March and likely earlier although I can't remember that far back.  I did not start reporting this to Rogers until June.  When the issue occurs, my Ignite modem's light will change from solid white to flashing amber for 10 mins, then it will flash green for a few seconds before turning solid white again.  On the CODA-4582 modem, the light sequence/pattern was the same as if I had power-cycled the modem except that the downstream/upstream lights would continue to flash for 10 mins before turning solid and locking onto the network.

I don't have any problems with speed or latency.  My signal power levels and SNR values are all VERY good.  And all three Rogers techs that I spoke with (each time I reported the problem) all confirmed that there was absolutely zero noise on my line and in my area.  They also confirmed that other homes in my area have the same problem (i.e. a bunch of modems in my area will lose connection at exactly the same time as mine) but they were unable to tell me if it's localized to just the homes connected to my CMTS or if it's more widespread.

Honestly, this smells like a CMTS problem, especially since I still get IPv6 packet loss (but not IPv4), which could also point to a CMTS problem.  I'm not saying that the two issues are related for sure, but I don't think it's just coincidence.

I'm remaining optimistic that Rogers will find root cause and fix this quickly but I'm posting here to see if there are any other members of this community who experienced the same issue, and who can potentially shed some light on what they think the problem is?

Thanks!

32 REPLIES 32

Re: Modem loses connection to Rogers network every month

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

I'm remaining optimistic that Rogers will find root cause and fix this quickly but I'm posting here to see if there are any other members of this community who experienced the same issue, and who can potentially shed some light on what they think the problem is?

I have seen that same sort of thing happen but can be hard to pin down the cause, especially if it is very intermittent.  The signal levels could all be fine and the error stats could be clear.  However, if some other weird problem is going that causes a Primary channel in a Downstream Bonding Group to go down, that WILL cause the modem to reset.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Thanks. A Rogers tech just left. I insisted that I didn’t need a tech but Rogers tech support said that it’s part of the process and only a tech can escalate further. The tech didn’t need to come inside my home. He checked the lines, pedestal, etc outside, reviewed notes on my account from the three Rogers tech support agents I spoke with over the last three months, and he confirmed it’s a segment-wide issue. It’s not an area-wide issue because apparently only 8 homes are impacted with this problem (mine plus 7 others). The on-site tech plus a level two tech support agent both said the problem appears to be “network flapping” and requires a maintenance crew to fix. He just put the work order in for the maintenance crew and said it will take 2-3 days. Fingers crossed.

jeagerXP
I plan to stick around

2 questions

1. )  Is this the latest software version for the CG4141ROG 

System Software Version
eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_20.2_d31 & Prod_20.2
Software Image Name: CGM4140COM_4.10p6s3_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: CGM4140COM
Packet Cable: 2.0

2.) Does anyone know how to assign a static IP address for the Ignite TV boxes. I don't need WIFI. Have two computers on ethernet on static IP's, one TV box on ethernet with IP assigned by DHCP, bought another ethernet cable for the other TV .  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jeagerXP wrote:

2 questions

1. )  Is this the latest software version for the CG4141ROG 

System Software Version
eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_20.2_d31 & Prod_20.2
Software Image Name: CGM4140COM_4.10p6s3_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: CGM4140COM
Packet Cable: 2.0

This is a question for the @CommunityHelps  team.

My Technicolor XB6 gateway got upgraded to that firmware just a few days ago.  Also, do you have the

black-coloured XB6 or the silver-coloured XB7 gateway?  I thought that I saw you post elsewhere that you had the XB7.  (The XB6 and XB7 both use the same cable modem chipsets but they have different Wi-Fi chipsets and different Ethernet chipsets.  I didn't think that they ran the same firmware but it wouldn't surprise me if they could.)

2.) Does anyone know how to assign a static IP address for the Ignite TV boxes. I don't need WIFI. Have two computers on ethernet on static IP's, one TV box on ethernet with IP assigned by DHCP, bought another ethernet cable for the other TV .  

There's no internal network configuration menu on the Ignite TV set-top boxes (that I know of) that will allow to do this.  They are truly meant to be plug-and-play devices.  The best that you can do is assign them a Reserved IP address / static DHCP lease.

jeagerXP
I plan to stick around

I have the black Gateway , CG4141ROG, is this an XB6 or XB7. as far as static ip addresses I posted something on this a few minutes ago on what i am doing to resolve the problem

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jeagerXP wrote:

I have the black Gateway , CG4141ROG, is this an XB6 or XB7. as far as static ip addresses I posted something on this a few minutes ago on what i am doing to resolve the problem

The Rogers Internet support page shows the current modems and their official names: https://www.rogers.com/support/internet

The black Ignite Gateway is the XB6.  You have the XB6 that is made by Technicolor, what we also refer to as the XB6-T when we want to differentiate it from the other variant, which is made by Arris.

specht291
I've been around

@toolcubed wrote:

Hi everyone,

Even though I'm on Ignite, I'm posting this here because my issue is NOT related to the Ignite platform, and I've had this problem even when I was on legacy internet with the CODA-4582 modem.  I have reported this problem to Rogers three times - once in June when they opened a "monitoring" ticket for 7 days and didn't find anything wrong; again in July when they opened another monitoring ticket for 7 days, and again, didn't find anything wrong; and again today (because it just happened again), but this time they escalated a ticket for further investigation since this issue occurs monthly like clock work.

The problem that occurs monthly is that the modem will completely lose its connection to the network for about 10 mins.  Once it re-establishes the connection, everything is fine for another ~month until the exact same thing happens again.  It's never on the same day of the month but fairly close.  For example, in June, it occurred on the 22nd.  In July, it occurred on the 19th.  And it occurred again today (20th of August).  And again, the internet is down for only about 10 mins each time it happens.  I also had this issue in May, April, March and likely earlier although I can't remember that far back.  I did not start reporting this to Rogers until June.  When the issue occurs, my Ignite modem's light will change from solid white to flashing amber for 10 mins, then it will flash green for a few seconds before turning solid white again.  On the CODA-4582 modem, the light sequence/pattern was the same as if I had power-cycled the modem except that the downstream/upstream lights would continue to flash for 10 mins before turning solid and locking onto the network.

I don't have any problems with speed or latency.  My signal power levels and SNR values are all VERY good.  And all three Rogers techs that I spoke with (each time I reported the problem) all confirmed that there was absolutely zero noise on my line and in my area.  They also confirmed that other homes in my area have the same problem (i.e. a bunch of modems in my area will lose connection at exactly the same time as mine) but they were unable to tell me if it's localized to just the homes connected to my CMTS or if it's more widespread.

Honestly, this smells like a CMTS problem, especially since I still get IPv6 packet loss (but not IPv4), which could also point to a CMTS problem.  I'm not saying that the two issues are related for sure, but I don't think it's just coincidence.

Thanks!

Hello,

not really.  The service interrupts won't show up in the modem logs, although the CSR should be able to see a history of disconnects from the CMTS logs.  Call tech support, indicate the disconnect issue and ask the CSR to run a signal check.  The problem with these fast disconnects is that when the modem is up and running, the signal levels might look fine.  It all depends on whether or not there is any existing signal degradation which has very short disconnects to boot.  Any existing signal degradation might be enough cause to dispatch a tech firstcallonline.  

Is your external cable underground, or overhead from a utility pole?  In either case, the cable degrades over time and eventually has to be replaced. 

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Alrighty...here's an update.  The Rogers tech (a true Rogers employee from the maintenance crew) came by earlier this evening.  I saw the truck outside so I went out to speak to him.  He did confirm there was flapping on the network but it didn't line up with when my modem lost connection to the network (i.e. the flapping did not occur on the same days as when I experienced the disconnections).  He checked my line and the pedestal it's connected to and confirmed what the other tech had already confirmed - that my line is perfect...no noise whatsoever and good downstream levels.  He said my upstream levels were a bit low (~34db) and when he checked the node feeding the pedestal that my home is connected to, he said that the upstream power levels weren't configured properly, so he adjusted it.  Now my upstream levels on my XB6 are 41db.  Having said that, the tech also mentioned that this is most likely NOT the cause of the monthly disconnects.  He didn't find anything else wrong in the area but told me to keep an eye on it and to report if another disconnection occurs again next month.  So now I play the waiting game and see what happens.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Hi everyone.  I just noticed that my main cable line (coming from the pedestal) is disconnected from the grounding block inside the plastic grey box at the side of my house.  The grounding block is still there but it's only connected to the ground wire.  The cable coming from the pedestal is connected directly to the cable entering my house (via a coax coupler), completely bypassing the grounding block.  I'm not sure if the maintenance crew tech that was here yesterday disconnected the grounding block or if it was the previous junior tech that was here last week.  I don't remember the junior tech going to the side of my house, which leads me to believe that it may have been the senior tech that was here yesterday.

Should I be concerned about this?  What is the impact of not using a grounding block apart from the obvious lack of surge/lightning protection?  Should I reconnect the grounding block?

Tagging @Datalink and @-G- since they seem to be very knowledgeable with this stuff.

Thanks!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

Hi everyone.  I just noticed that my main cable line (coming from the pedestal) is disconnected from the grounding block inside the plastic grey box at the side of my house.  The grounding block is still there but it's only connected to the ground wire.  The cable coming from the pedestal is connected directly to the cable entering my house (via a coax coupler), completely bypassing the grounding block. 

Should I be concerned about this?  What is the impact of not using a grounding block apart from the obvious lack of surge/lightning protection?  Should I reconnect the grounding block?

They probably did this to see if either the grounding block or the ground connection itself was contributing to your problems.  Hopefully the tech left a note pertaining to this on your ticket.

The risk of something catastrophic happening is low... but the cable is grounded for a reason, so it should not be left that way for any longer than necessary.  I would leave it as-is for now.

If you are still getting drops or resets, report it to Rogers.  At least that way they will know that this troubleshooting/workaround did not fix the problem.  If things have stabilized, that may be worth noting as well.

Argee
I plan to stick around

the grounding block should be grounded/bonded specifically to the same ground as the rest of the house.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

OK thanks -G-.  I have a feeling that nobody is coming back lol.  Also, if they suspect that my monthly drops are caused by a bad grounding block, wouldn't my problems be more frequent?  I'll keep an eye on this but thanks for confirming that what they did is not normal.  I just wanted to rule out any possibility that Rogers wasn't using grounding blocks anymore.

Argee
I plan to stick around

The ground block is a convenient place to ensure the cable drop is connected to the same ground as the rest of the house to ensure no difference in voltage potential exists between the two. As you noted, it also provides some surge/lightning protection although this can be limited. A major strike will get through regardless.

I would have the technician return to connect it properly rather than trying to do it yourself thereby avoiding any finger-pointing that you did something to the network. It could also represent a potential safety issue if there is a difference in voltage between the two ground points.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

@Argee it is.  The ground wire connected to the grounding block inside the Rogers box runs into my basement and is connected to a thick bare copper ground wire that runs from my electrical panel to my main water shutoff.

Argee
I plan to stick around

That's a good place for the ground to be connected. That thick ground wire represents the common ground in the house attached to the water pipe. If it runs on another wire out to the Rogers box on the outside of the house, that would be a good thing just to provide a secondary grounding point..

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Not to get too off topic, but there is a 2nd thick bare copper ground wire running from my electrical panel to some other point, which I can't see because I have a finished basement with a dry-walled ceiling.  So, there are two thick bare copper wires coming out of my electrical panel - one goes to my main water shutoff (and this is the copper wire that the Rogers ground wire is connected to), and another one that goes somewhere else.

As I mentioned before, I'll see how this goes for a while and then I can try with the grounding block re-connected.  I've done a lot of cable and electrical installations before, so reconnecting the grounding block myself is no big deal.  I might even buy a new block.

Argee
I plan to stick around

That second ground wire could possibly run to your gas line input. That is a new requirement as of about 3 to 4 years ago. When I had my furnace serviced they pointed out that that was a new requirement. 

If you have a VOM I would simply check for continuity between the two ground wires. If they are at the same potential then it is redundant where the other one goes to.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Good call.  I didn't even think about that.  Thanks for that.  It is running towards my main gas line coming into the house (i.e. in that direction) but can't confirm 100% if that is truly where it's connected to since it's buried in the basement ceiling.  You're probably right though.  Having said that, my house is 14 years old.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed  I don't have any formal training in this area so I don't have much more to contribute to this discussion on grounding.

I would send a private message to @CommunityHelps  and inform them that your incoming coax feed is now no longer grounded.  They can tell you why this may have been done, and can arrange for a technician to be dispatched to bring your installation back into a proper state.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

No worries @-G-   I might do that or I might just reinstall the grounding block myself...as I've mentioned in an earlier post, I've done this stuff before 🙂

Topic Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 in conversation