cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Man in the middle on network?

Bdfreund
I've been here awhile
Hope someone can help....I'm confused.
I have avast one security (free vetsion) on my 2 phones. I always do a network check daily. Today both phones showed a Man in the Middle detection plus my download and upload speeds are very slow. Restarted Gateway and both phones with no resolution.
Caled rogers tech support and they see no problem from their end. Has anyone seen this before or can give me some more information? I'm very hesitant to use wifi right now. Thanks.....
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Man in the middle on network?

RogersCorey

Greetings @Bdfreund!

A man in the middle attack can be a scary situation. Now, to be clear, this is only happening with on your phones?  There are no computers or other devices connected to the network?

Are you certain that you're connecting to your own network? A man in the middle attack may occur when a hacker sets up a spoofed network that looks like a legitimate network that you normally connect to. I would double check to make sure you don't see that your WiFi network has been duplicated.

Another common place to have this happen is public WiFi networks. Do you use public WiFi? I personally would recommend that you never connect to a public WiFi network as they're not secure. If you must use public WiFi, then you should protect yourself by encrypting your connection via a VPN.

You can find out more about these attacks here: Defending Yourself from a Man in the Middle Attack (kaspersky.com)

Regards,

RogersCorey

Re: Man in the middle on network?

Bdfreund
I've been here awhile
Thank you Corey....much appreciated!

A Rogers technician came by this morning to check it out. He did some testing and all seems good from the Rogers end. By the way, I also have a laptop connected and the anti virus on it said the same thing. The technician believes it is likely something in the anti virus program, but I should still be careful....change passwords and use VPN.

The antivirus folks said it might be a glitch on their end as well.
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation