cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail kidnapping

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

Hello. Has anyone else had the problem of missing @rogers.com email only to find out that they've been going to their gmail.com email? I give everyone my @rogers email and somehow they start going to gmail. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks for your thoughts.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Gmail kidnapping

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Probably going to need quite a bit more information.

Where are you accessing your mail? Webmail?
Via an email app on a phone, etc?
If on the phone, do you have the gmail on there as well as your rogers?

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
I usually get my email on my desktop computer (does anyone under 60 know what that is?) but also use my iPhone. I don’t give out my gmail address, but somehow people are finding it and using it instead of my Rogers. I’m wondering if it’s because Google’s Chrome is my default browser on my tower/desktop computer. BTW, are tower/desktop computers being made anymore?

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

Does it only happen on REPLIES? 

It is possible that  your "reply to" is set incorrectly to the gmail account..

If so, when your buddy uses the "reply to" button without actually looking at the email, it will go to whatever is set there.

You can check that in "settings"... 

If you send from webmail (rogers.yahoo.com), that is set in the "mailboxes" settings.

If you send from a desktop or phone app, that is set on the local settings for the accounts.  

On the PC in OUTLOOK, it is set in the account's "change" tab.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

Another possibility is this:

Since you have multiple accounts configured, you may be SENDING your email through the wrong account.  Even if you have no "reply-to" configured, the default "reply-to" will  be that of the sending account.

So if you are sending through the gmail account without realizing it, that is where your contacts are replying, also without realizing it.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation