cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Coax Cable Install

coolblade
I've been here awhile

Hello all -

We moved into our new house about 1.5 years ago. It was wired for Bell so we had Rogers run a new Ignite cable from the utility pole to the external box at the side of our house, and from the box into our home and directly into our modem. 

Due to COVID the technician wasn't able to enter our home and/or drill into the side of our house to "properly" have the coax cable run inside. Therefore, for the past 1.5 years the cable has been running under our back door.

We're currently having that part of the house renovated down to the studs, and want to have the cable run properly. Our preference would be for it to be wired to a new coax outlet, but we'd also be happy with a tight, clean hole just for the cable to run directly into our modem (which will be near the hole). 

Will a Rogers technician do either of these?

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: External Coax Cable Install

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@coolblade  Ideally, you would want the Rogers service to come into your home in the basement, typically next to your electrical panel.  From there, that cable would connect to another cable that terminates at a wall plate in your home.  Rogers can also install a cable run from the outside Rogers box (NID) to another room in your house directly but I would rather not have outside cable runs.

Regardless, Rogers needs to clean up the current installation and you can discuss options with them, including roughing in suitable cable yourself.

coolblade
I've been here awhile

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

We only have internet (no TV) at home, so the cable only needs to reach our modem which lives on a table at the back of the house (literally feet from the NID). Our electrical panel is towards the front of the house, so it would be quite a long back and forth!

In order to avoid an outdoor run, do you think a good compromise would just be to have the cable hook up to an outlet (again, this outlet would be just a couple feet from the NID) to which the modem would be plugged into?

In terms of install, should this be done while the renovation is taking place (i.e. exposed studs), or wait until they're completed?

Lastly, do you know if Rogers would cover the cost for all this?

Thanks again!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can certainly ask Rogers if they can do it, but you also have to remember, we are still in a pandemic, the pandemic is not over yet. so they might not be able to do much during a pandemic.  You can call a third party contractor or cable technician and ask them to wire the jack correctly, OR if your getting your OWN contractor you can ask if they can route the cable wire for you. Cable is low voltage so they do not need a license or permit to run the wire they should be able to do it for you without being scared or afraid.    Also its best if they did it for you anyways since they can co-ordinate it with your existing renovations and not have any delays or challenges. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@coolblade  If you choose to do the rough-in yourself, keep in mind that the diameter of RG-6 cable can vary slightly (from one manufacturer to another and depending on the specs of the cable) and the compression fitting of the connector that Rogers uses may or may not fit.

Greetings @coolblade!

In a situation like this, I would probably recommend relocating the outlet while your house is under renovation. We do not fish cables through existing walls and drilling from the outside might be required. If the walls are exposed, it will make the job that much easier and you'll be able to avoid any holes in your fresh wall.

There is a charge involved for this service.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps and we can get the order setup for you and go into more details regarding the involved fees. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Pdiddy1919
I've been around

Anyone know how to solve as I would like to have Rogers run coax cable from my Cable box (attached to the outside wall of my house) in to my unfinished basement.  At that time I would connect a cable tv box to it so we can watch tv in the basement.  It's not 100% necessary for the technician to enter the house, I need them to run the cable from the box along the outside wall to the hole I drilled and then I would pull it into the basement.  From there I would manage the work myself.

Any thoughts what my best approach would be?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pdiddy1919,

The best way would be this, please listen to my suggestion.  There should be an existing coax entering your house already if you are a customer, you only need ONE wire to enter your home even if you plan to have more Than one TV. The wire should go from the utilities side of  your house into your basement  near your Hydro/Electrical panel. from there, The cable needs to simply be split,  you already have an existing line going to your existing TV set, so that is run number 1, then you will be simply adding run number two, you can safely do this in your basement and since you have unfinished basement, you can fish it in the ceiling joists and run it to your desired TV location.  I did this when I was a teenager and my dad had no idea how cable tv worked.  you can then terminate it with the proper F connectors yourself or pay someone to do it, but if your having a tech over you can also ask him nicely if he can do it for you too he likely will

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation