cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped frames trying to live stream

PJJJ
I plan to stick around

Hello I've been having troubles this entire week trying to live stream on twitch. I've been getting constant dropped frames when streaming at a bitrate of 4500, usually 15-20% frames dropped. I've tried lowering the bitrate to 2000 but it doesn't look great and even then I tend to get 5-10% dropped frames. I've been able to stream the passed month and a half with no issues, this only started happening this week. I have 500 down and 20 up.

Here are things that I've tried to do to resolve this situation myself:

Honestly, I'm not sure what the problem is and I've been trying to troubleshoot for the past few days. Is anyone able to help?

*Added Labels*

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Dropped frames trying to live stream

PJJJ
I plan to stick around

My modem is in my basement, I'll upload what's connected to my modem. I know it might not show right away but I don't know if image links are allowed so I'll just keep uploading them. If an RG-6 cable is what's in my "TEL1" slot, it goes from my modem to a little box and then the little box has another wire. I tried following the other wire but it goes into my ceiling and disappears. 

thumbnail_IMG_0435.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0436.jpg

the "other wire" from the little box leads to this and this continues into the ceiling. Sorry if it isn't a super helpful image but I thought I'd try to provide as much information as I can.the "other wire" from the little box leads to this and this continues into the ceiling. Sorry if it isn't a super helpful image but I thought I'd try to provide as much information as I can.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PJJJ, keep posting the pictures.  Links to online photo drop sites have been used in the past.

Looking at the photos that you posted last night, I can see one white RG-6 cable that runs to the power input port of the amplifier.  That runs off to a power brick (?) which looks to be above the photo.

The other white RG-6 cable connects to to a ground block, which then connects to the VOIP port of the amplifier.  That ground block should be connected to the incoming (white) Rogers cable.  I'm making an assumption here due to the presence of the ground block, which is normally connected to the inbound Rogers cable.

Assuming that I'm correct, and that the second white RG-6 cable is in fact the inbound Rogers cable, that should be connected to the ground block, and the ground block is then connected to a cable which should connect to the input port of the amplifier, if in fact you were going to use the amplifier.

Now to make this simple, do the following;

1. Try to trace the second white RG-6 cable (with the ground clamp) back thru the external wall. This is just to ensure that, yes indeed, this is the inbound Rogers cable that runs to the external demarcation point.  It has a Rogers Hi-Speed cable tag on it, but, I'd check it just to be sure.  Never assume, as they say.  I'd also have a look outside, specifically at the location of the nylon Rogers enclosure and where any cables are located around that enclosure.  I'm assuming that there is an enclosure as that is the usual practice.  But, the presence of the ground block in your photo might blow that theory out of the water as the ground block is normally located within that external enclosure.  So, maybe the external cable just runs up the side of the house and thru a drilled hole?  You'll have to check that out to see if it's the case.

2. After you are satisfied that its the inbound Rogers cable, disconnect the F-81 connector that is attached to that inbound cable.  Disconnect both RG-6 cables from the ground block. Leave the #8 (?) copper cable connected to that ground block.

3. Connect the ground block to the inbound cable.  Inspect the other end of the #8 (?) ground cable and ensure that it will actually work as an adequate ground.  That is usually connected to a copper water line with some type of clamp.  So, you want to ensure that the point on the water line is clean and adequate for grounding purposes. An adequate ground is required for noise control purposes as well as grounding against lightning strikes. 

4. For now, disconnect the amplifier cables and disconnect the power brick from the electrical socket.

5. Trace the modem's RG-6 cable back to wherever it ends.  It should be close to the amplifier. As @-G- indicated, or pondered, is there a possibility that a second cable entry point was used by a technician to run another inbound cable, which would make the two cables with the Rogers Hi-Speed tag completely useless?

6. After you have traced the modem's RG-6 cable, connect that to the other side of the ground clamp.

7. Reboot the modem, log into the modem and check the signal levels.

8. Assuming that everything is fine, its time to completely remove the amplifier and power brick.  With the Rogers Hi-Speed cable tag holding the two white RG-6 cables together, you can simply tie up the power brick cable to keep it out of the way.  You could simply cut the tag and remove the power cable to get it out of the way as well.

Your choice ......

Ok, just had a look, your last three photos are visible.

9. The Tel 1 port off of the modem, I'm assuming, runs to the surface mount in the second picture.  That is used to interface telephone cabling with its RJ-11 connectors, to the house telephone system.

10. The last picture, shows a couple of cable, one of which is connected to the surface mount.  So, that runs upstairs to your telephone or multiple telephones depending on how they might be connected.

At the end of this, you should have:

1. Incoming Rogers cable connected to one side of the ground block;
2. The modem cable connected to the other side of the ground block;
3. The ground block connected to a copper water pipe, cleaned if necessary, providing an adequate ground point.

At this point, you should be able to remove the amplifier and its power brick.

Let me know if you have any questions about all of this. Keep the photos coming.

PJJJ
I plan to stick around

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest, this is getting a little complicated for me. If I were to try to get a technician here would they be able to resolve this for me?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi @PJJJ .  In terms of sorting out the external to internal cabling, yes.  What I'm hoping is that sorting out the cabling might be enough to solve the low frequency signal levels and high corrected codeword count.  Looking at your pictures, I'm not convinced that the cables with the Rogers Hi-Speed tag are still active.  I'm wondering if the last onsite tech didn't run a second external cable and either cut or abandon the previous cabling, which would be the cables with the Rogers Hi-Speed tag on it.  Thats where tracing the modem cable back to its origin comes into the picture.  I think that once that is determined, this will be pretty easy to resolve.  The question at that point is, if the modem is connected by another inbound cable, does it have a ground block installed on the cable?  

So, send a message to @CommunityHelps.  Follow that link to their public page when you're logged into the forum.  You'll see a link to "Send a message".  Follow that link to the message composition page, where the message address will fill in automatically.  Include your account number and modem MAC address which will make it easy for the moderators to have a look at your signal levels.  I've already indicated to @RogersMoin that he will probably see a message from you.  Let him know that you need assistance sorting out the legacy cabling from the prior installation, which will hopefully address the low frequency signal levels and high corrected codeword count for the two OFDM channels. Hopefully @RogersMoin can arrange a tech visit at your convenience, and at no cost to you.

In the mean time, if you have a little time to spare, have a look outside of your home to check for the location of the inbound cable and see if it makes any sense considering the location of the two cables with the Rogers Hi-Speed tag on it.  I'm interested in knowing if there's a newer cable run in a slightly different location that might be connected to the modem and whether or not a previous cable is still present, and abandoned, or potentially cut.  That cable it its still there, would be one of the cables with the Rogers Hi-Speed tag on it.

Fwiw, the amplifier that you have is a Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) amplifier.  If you ever considered running ethernet over the upstairs coax cabling, that amplifier is part of the solution.  The other part of the solution are the ethernet to Coax adapters, for wherever you wanted an available ethernet port.  They are a little pricey, but, the whole configuration should provide a stable, high speed ethernet system (over coax) when its up and running.  So, I'd say, keep the amplifier, power brick and the cable for the power brick.  If you might ever consider running a MoCA network, you can put those to use.   

If you only connect to the amplifier's internal port to run a MoCA network, you will have a private, internal ethernet (over coax) network.  That amplifier is designed to run the whole network, including the inbound cable to modem cable as well, but you don't have to use it in that configuration.  It just depends on where the modem and/or router is located and whether or not you would need to connect an ethernet to modem adapter to the inbound cable that runs to the modem.  So, food for thought for future use .....

PJJJ
I plan to stick around

Thank you for the help so far I'll send a message and take a look outside.

Tried to follow a cable that went outside my house but it looks like it goes into a neighbors yard so I can't take a look at it unfortunately and don't really know where it ends.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah, I should have said, look at the outside wall of your home, where the cable enters the home.  Look at the location of the present cable and any evidence of an abandoned or cut cable from a previous installation.  All you might see is an old hole in the wall that may have been caulked over, maybe....

No doubt there will be at least one cable present.  The question is, does its location make any sense, given the location of the two white RG-6 cables downstairs with the Rogers Hi-Speed tag on them. 

PJJJ
I plan to stick around

I did find another cable near the one I mentioned that exits the wall that has been cut but it's a black cable so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the white RG-6 ones.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Typically the external cable is a black RG-6 cable.  Assuming that's the case here, with the modem cable being a white RG-6, and all of the amplifier cables being disconnected, that would mean that there's another path to the modem, either with another ground block or a F-81 connector.  Preferably a ground block....

Is the power brick for the amplifier just a power brick, with a single cable leading to the power input of the amplifier or does it act as a power inserter, with a cable input and then a power output to the amplifier, which would be a combination of the incoming cable path and power input to the amplifier?

If, just for interest's sake, you were to disconnect the cable from the VOIP port of the amplifier, and your modem still works, that would mean that there's another cable path to the modem, and the amplifier, with all of its cabling is irrelevant. 

stinkycheese
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I stream broadcasts for online esports. Over the last couple years, I have never had any dropped frames until the last couple weeks. The last year+ I have streamed 1440p to You Tube at 18000 bit rate with zero or next to zero dropped frames. in the past 2 weeks I can't stream 1440 at any bitrate without getting 20-50% dropped frames. even 1080 at 9000 BR I am getting 15% +/-

Nothing has changed on my end as far as PC hardware or software. I have 2 pc's I use and bothbarr suffering the same issues so I have ruled out my end.

I have the top Ignite package so I should not be having any issues.

Looking for help on fixing the issue.

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 4 in conversation