cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Email from Trash only works for small number at a time??!!??

Betard
I plan to stick around

Hi,  Rogers yahoo mail seems to be a bit of a gong-show lately, so I am trying to clean up my mail through mail.yahoo.com (since I can no longer create an App Key and properly add my account to Outlook), so that in turn I can move off the ISP email and to something like Gmail.  

Long story short... I now have thousands of emails in the "Trash" that I would like to delete so that Gmail won't import them.  The problem however is that if I select all of them (including the prompt "50 messages selected. select All ### matching this search"). another pop-up appears showing a progress bar... I wait several seconds... it "completes", yet all the emails are still there.

I've tried doing "less" at a time by filtering by year (after:"2023-01-01") or even by a half-month (after:"2023-09-25", and the result is the same.  Seems to only delete the emails if I only select the ones on screen. ie: 50 at a time.
Anyone have any ideas?

*Added Labels*

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Deleting Email from Trash only works for small number at a time??!!??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Betard : Here's a previous thread on that topic.  Please read it:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/How-can-I-delete-all-my-Rogers-emails-at-one-time/m-p...

If you use the select box at the top left of the folder and "select all", it will default to 100 e-mails (you should be able to see the number 100 next to the select box).  If you then scroll down in the folder using the scroll bar at the right, you are then able to select more (and that number will show next to the select box).  However, as I mentioned in the linked thread, I suggest you don't do any more than say 2-300 at a time because you may overload the system. Also, in future, never put/save that many (more than a few hundred) e-mails in a single folder.

The other thing you can do is wait for a few days because I believe the trash folder is automatically emptied of e-mails older than about 10 days (I can't remember the exact number of days).

Betard
I plan to stick around

so essentially it doesn't work...  

I see where you are coming from in regards to how trying to do too many at a time may "overload the system", but there's obvious faults in this. If the UI actually prompts me to select 1,000, or 10,000, or 100,000 (however many are in that folder) and then allows me to click "Delete", and show me a progress bar... then it should be able to do job.  Otherwise, it should tell me that it can only handle X# at a time, or guide the user in some way.  It doesn't even error out... it just progresses to 100%, and refreshes the folder which shows all the same emails.

With regards to QTY of emails in a folder, I would bet that 90% of users let emails just flood into their inbox with little to no maintenance, so any customer of rogers for a few years would easily end up with 1000's of emails in their inbox, so its not really a manageable expectation for most people to monitor folder sizes.

At the end of the day, Rogers and Yahoo are not some small/rural town ISP... and their services should work.  All of this would be less of an issue if I could just load my accounts into Outlook via POP/SMTP, but again Rogers/Yahoo is failing as the ability to create App Keys has been down for several months.

I appreciate your response, and while I may not fully agree, I do acknowledge the "spirit" of what you are saying.

I don't think customers should feel like they are doing something wrong, by using the service as its provided; my expectations aren't "crazy" here...   At least if their webmail interface limited / showed an error explaining a limit, I may not like it - but at least it would be informative. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. So, did you try deleting a few hundred? Several Times?

2. If you wait another day or so, the trash issue may take care of itself with the "auto-delete old e-mails"?

3. A lot of times certain features are simply not present because they are not used a lot - for example a limit on the number of e-mails selected, or other items you mention.  These interfaces are pretty basic in functionality.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation