cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coda 4582 DNS Settings

pmcdunnough
I plan to stick around

Under Basic—>DNS there is “DNS Proxy Status” . Should this be Enabled or Disabled?

Also, if one sets DNS to Manual you have to enter both IP4 and 6 addresses. Can IP6 be disabled?

I don’t mind using the Rogers’ DNS numbers in which case DNS would be set to Auto ( not sure about DNS Proxy Status) but I would like the option of using different DNS providers and that’s a bit confusing ( with the ip6 issue) and,of course, in either case that DNS Proxy Status is really confusing.

***Edited Labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Coda 4582 DNS Settings

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pmcdunnough, here's a link to a 4582 user manual.  

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/21f126b6721648ae910ae0af1328e9ff/Hitron_CODA-4582.pdf

I'll refer to page 78, the DNS settings.  

"Under Basic—>DNS there is “DNS Proxy Status” . Should this be Enabled or Disabled?"

This can be either enabled or disabled.  Looks like Rogers uses Disabled.  The difference is in the DNS address that is present in your connected devices.  From the user manual:

DNS Proxy Status

Use this to turn DNS proxy on or off on the LAN. When DNS proxy is turned on (default) the DHCP server provides the CODA-4x8x’s LAN IP address as the DNS server for name resolution.

1. Selected Enabled to turn DNS proxy on.
2. Selected Disabled to turn DNS proxy off

This is a Midco user doc, so it looks like they enable the Proxy Status, whereas Rogers uses disabled.  The difference?

If you run a ipconfig/all command at a command prompt, you will see the DNS address that has been provided by the modem, unless of course you have those addresses hard set in the device DNS address fields.

With the Proxy Status enabled:  the ipconfig/all DNS fields should show the modem's LAN IP address, 192.168.0.1 if that is what the modem is set for, for example.  So the device goes to the modem first, and then the modem turns around and goes out to the specified DNS address for name resolution.  

With the Proxy Status disabled:  the ipconfig/all DNS fields should show the entered DNS addresses.  So, the device would go to the specified DNS address directly for name resolution. 

"Also, if one sets DNS to Manual you have to enter both IP4 and 6 addresses. Can IP6 be disabled?"

Yes.  Navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY tab and change the Router Mode from Dual (stack) to IPv4 only.  Save the changes and the modem will revert to IPv4 mode of operation in the next two to three minutes.  I usually run a modem reboot if I change the Router mode in either direction, ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.  That reboot should ensure that there are no residual IPV6 addresses in any connected devices.  That Router mode is independent of the DNS settings, or at least, it should be.  I've never had any issue changing one or the other.  If you do only change the DNS settings, I would still run a modem reboot.  

pmcdunnough
I plan to stick around

Thank you for the clarification. Let me just verify a few things. 

1. DNS Proxy Disabled and no DNS servers on LAN

Device gets its DNS from Rogers, assuming DHCP is enabled on the modem?

2. DNS Proxy Enabled and no DNS servers on LAN

Device gets its DNS from the modem which has or gets the DNS from Rogers, again assuming DHCP is enabled on the modem.

3. DNS Proxy Status Enabled, DHCP Off, another DNS server on the LAN

Device gets the DNS from either the modem, which got it from the DNS server on the LAN, or directly from the DNS server on the LAN?

4. DNS Proxy Status Disabled, DHCP Off, another DNS server on LAN

Device must get the DNS from the DNS server.

It’s a bit confusing, but are those 4 cases correct? The thing that is confusing me is there is DHCP, DNS ( auto/manual) and DNS Proxy Status ( Enabled/Disabled). All 3 seem connected somehow.

Can the modem dish out DNS numbers without being a DHCP server?

All of this is trying to clarify just how much control I have in setting up my own ip and DNS configurations.

What is the practical effect of turning off ip6?

@pmcdunnough what you're describing could be used as test cases for firmware acceptance by Hitron and Rogers.  I wonder if they do have items like this in their acceptance trials?  I would hope so.  

1.  This would have to be a yes, as without any other DNS entry by the user, the ipconfig/all results should show the Rogers DNS addresses.  

IPV4 DNS addresses

Primary IPv6 DNS:

2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125:5204

Secondary IPv6 DNS:

2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125:5198

2.  This should show the modem as the DNS address, which should be confirmed with the ipconfig/all results. 

3.  Now this gets interesting.  How are you assigning a LAN IP address with the modem's DHCP server disabled?  The modem itself should still have its own IP address, regardless of whether or not the DHCP server is disabled.  This is where it gets interesting.  It should have its own address, but, what if it doesn't?  I've never looked at this, but, logic should dictate that the modem will have its own address, regardless of the state of the DHCP server.  If thats the case, then the modem would supply its own address to the connected devices which would be seen in the ipconfig/all results.

The next question here is, will the modem allow for an internal DNS address?  You would know pretty quickly if you tried it and the modem rejected the entry.  That would imply some type of internal address block, or that Hitron has modified the DHCP server software for some reason.  That would be hard to know as you would have to look at the code to determine what it actually does.  The answer to this is going to be found in a test session.  If it works, great, if it doesn't, that leaves a couple of open questions for future resolution. 

4.  In this case, the DNS address should be seen in the config/all results, unless of course, the modem rejects the internal LAN DNS address for some reason.  

I think there are a couple of other cases here as well:

5.  DNS Proxy Disabled, DHCP On and DNS servers on LAN

Device gets its DNS from the modem?  This should be seen in the ipconfig/all results, unless of course the modem rejects the internal DNS address entry. 

6. DNS Proxy Enabled, DHCP On and DNS servers on LAN

Device gets its DNS from the modem, which is shown in the ipconfig/all results as the modem's IP address.  Same question as above, will the modem reject the internal DNS IP entry?  

In all cases where the internal DNS address is in question, I would set up a test with a specific combination of name to address resolution to confirm that the modem works as one would expect with a typical DHCP server software package.  That is to say, with the internal DNS IP address specified in the entry field, that the modem is in fact querying the LAN DNS server.  

There's a lot of assumptions here, but, I think you could probably prove whether or not the assumptions are correct.  You might just discover a bug or two in the process.  I wouldn't be surprised. 

pmcdunnough
I plan to stick around

Thank you so much for the really informative replies, and sorry about the double post. I couldn’t figure out how to delete one.

i have started playing around with things. For now I have disabled my dns+dhcp server on the LAN and enabled dhcp, dns proxy Status on the modem. Of course that works as expected. What I didn’t expect was the massive speed increase for some of my devices.

I wonder what you would see with modem's DHCP server running and the DNS server on the LAN up and running with the modem using that for the DNS server?  In theory that should be faster than what you see from the Rogers DNS.  If its not, I wonder if the modem is doing something wrong with the LAN DNS address?  The response time from the Rogers DNS will be approx 12 milli-seconds for a cached address.  So, your LAN DNS should produce a faster result. 

Then there is also the issue of whether or not the address is listed in your LAN's DNS database. If not, then the modem will query the LAN DNS, time out and ask the Rogers DNS for the same address, or, the LAN DNS will time out internally and use a set external DNS address for name resolution.  In either case, that time out period might be noticeable.  Just trying to cover all the possibilities here. 

Whenever you make a change, reboot the modem ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot, or, pull the power off of the modem, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in to force a restart. That will ensure that the changes absolutely take effect on the modem and should clear out any old settings from the connected devices.  

If at any time you ended up with strange results, I'd reboot both the modem and connected pc/laptop that you're using for testing and run the test again to refute or confirm the previous test results.

oscarj1
I've been here awhile

Coda 4582U Router

Hello,

It is possible to add an entry to the DNS server?

Just want to resolve http://mysite to 192.168.X.X when I am at home, keeping also the default DNS server.

Cheers!

Hello, @oscarj1.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. By default, the DNS obtain is auto. However, you can manually add the DNS servers. The settings can be accessed through the Basic/DNS menu. The Rogers' DNS servers are listed above in post of this thread. 

Please provide more details as to why you can't access your website when at home so the Community can chime in to address the issue. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

oscarj1
I've been here awhile
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. However, i don't want to add a DNS server, but instead just an entry to resolve one address at home. I would like to be redirected to an specific local address when I am at home.

Normally I would just edit the hosts file, but there are several devices where this is not an easy task.

Cheers

@oscarj1 at one point in time there was a way to change the local host name.  That name was set to Hitronhub.home as a default setting, but, there was a way to change that.  I had a quick look but didn't find an entry window that allows the user to change that name.  Maybe that fell by the wayside when the CODA-4582 was introduced?

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation