cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know the current wait times for XB8 modems?

rtrotty
I've been here awhile

I signed up for the 1.5gbs service yesterday but was not informed that I needed a new modem until I contacted tech support to understand why my speeds haven't changed. They informed me that I need the XB8 but there is short supply but didn't know how long?

Did anyone get one recently and how long did you wait?

Is the XB7 more widely available and should that be offered in the meantime since I'm still on the Gen1 box.

Also is there anyway to check if fibre is offered in my area? Tech support was unable to tell me.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Anyone know the current wait times for XB8 modems?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rtrotty wrote:

I signed up for the 1.5gbs service yesterday but was not informed that I needed a new modem until I contacted tech support to understand why my speeds haven't changed. They informed me that I need the XB8 but there is short supply but didn't know how long?

Rogers currently provides Ignite Internet 1.5 Gigabit customers with either a Gen 2 (XB7) or Gen 3 (XB8) gateway, subject to availability.

Internally, they are mostly the same hardware and Comcast lists that both support a Maximum Data Throughput of 2.5 Gbps.  The major difference between the two is that the XB8 supports Wi-Fi 6E, which will allow compatible devices to connect on the 6 GHz band.

Did anyone get one recently and how long did you wait?

Is the XB7 more widely available and should that be offered in the meantime since I'm still on the Gen1 box.

As far as I know, the XB8 gateways are still in short supply.  Even FTTH customers (with a 2.5 Gbps and 8 Gbps XGS-PON service) will also get either an XB7 or XB8, subject to availability.

The XB7 is widely available and its firmware has had much more time to mature.  The new Wi-Fi code in the XB8 can still be a bit twitchy.

Also is there anyway to check if fibre is offered in my area? Tech support was unable to tell me.

Go to Shop / Internet on Rogers.com and enter your address to see what speed tiers are available in your area and the equipment that is provided with each.

There is really no way to tell when your neighbourhood (or building) will upgraded from DOCSIS to the next-gen fibre service.  If an upgrade is imminent, you will get notified by Rogers before the construction work begins in your area, and you will also be asked to grant permission for crews to bring fibre onto your property.  You can also ask Rogers to check their construction schedules to see if any work is planned in your area, but even those schedules are subject to change.  Until you see crews locating underground utilities or marking fibre routes (labelled F/O) with pink paint, nothing is happening anytime soon... and even when you finally do get fiber onto your property, it can still take quite some time (we're talking weeks or months; for some, it has been more than a YEAR and they are still waiting) before the fibre is lit up and an ONT gets installed in your home.

TKDGene
I'm here a lot

I'm living a similar nightmare trying to get XB8.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-obtain-XB8-for-1-5-Gbps-Internet-Tier/td-p/...

I was looking around online for the pricing on them to just buy one and ask the tech to switch it maybe on their end and cant find them for sale either. 

rtrotty
I've been here awhile

As an update, which may be beneficial to you -- when I called for an update on this issue and availability of either the XB7/8 a technician informed me that I didn't require a modem upgrade and then did something on the back-end and my speeds magically increased 3X (to 800mb) on Ethernet (from around 200-300mb). Not sure what they did or why I was previously told that I needed a new modem but might be worth a shot.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation