cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xi6 HDMI to Component

T_J_Maguire
I'm here a lot

Does anyone know of a HDMI to Component (Y Ps Pr L R) conversation box that will work with the Rogers Xi6 boxes to provide a high definition signal, as opposed to the Y LR (Video, Audio L R) RCA converter Rogers provided which changes Hi def to an extremely poor signal (like watching 1970’s UHF Channels on a loop antenna)

Bell Fibe has Component hook-ups on their TV converter boxes. Wish Rogers provided the same option.

Our Television is Hi Definition pre-HDMI hook up
If someone has solved this issue on their own please share the make and model of the conversion device you used. I tried one from Amazon that also had spooling but didn’t work on the Rogers Xi6

Thank you any help you can provide

*Added Labels*

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Xi6 HDMI to Component

RogersMoin

Hello, @T_J_Maguire.

Thanks for being part of the Rogers Community; we are so glad you are here. One of our members shared a success story about an HDMI adapter; you can check this thread

Please share your TV's make and model. Our resident experts, @57 & @-G-, may have additional ideas. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

The thread link is the same RCA - Video/Audio cords converter that Rogers supplied the picture quality is horrible. Our television is a Toshiba older CRTC Hi-definition Model: 30HF85 the only way to get Hi-def is to find a HDMI to Component converter that “works” with the Rogers cable box I purchased one from Amazon that could spool different signal strengths but none of them work on the Rogers box. I’d contact the box manufacturer but there is no identification on the Rogers box to indicating who the manufacturer is.

Our picture quality was perfect with Bell Fibe at lest they provided the option of connecting via component cable to receive the best possible picture quality available for pre-HDMI televisions

I still can’t get over to Rogers Tec-Support person saying, to go buy new television. Rather then solve the problem. This one of a number of unsatisfactory issues we are experiencing with our change over from Bell to Rogers regrettably

@T_J_Maguire  One user here has reported having success using a Portta HDMI to Component video adapter with one of the older Xi6 set-top boxes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@T_J_Maguire wrote:
...Our television is a Toshiba older CRTC Hi-definition Model: 30HF85 the only way to get Hi-def is to find a HDMI to Component converter 

Our Television is Hi Definition pre-HDMI hook up

According to the following links, this model TV has an HDMI input!

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-MukMR4B9Cim/p_05230HF85/Toshiba-30HF85.html

https://www.manua.ls/toshiba/theaterwide-30hf85/manual?p=14

As mentioned earlier my television is pre-HDMI it is 2003 before HDMI had entered the market. On the back of my TV the connection options are coaxial cable, DVI/HDCP, Video/Audio (which I’m currently using and the picture quality sucks) , ColorStream HD (which is component Y Ps Pr Audio L & R) If it did have an HDMI connection on this television my prayers would be answered but I’m not that lucky. But like I mentioned in an earlier post if I knew who the manufacturer of the Rogers Xi6 is I’d contact them directly to see if they can solve my problem

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@T_J_Maguire wrote:
As mentioned earlier my television is pre-HDMI it is 2003 before HDMI had entered the market. 

Then you gave us the incorrect make and model of TV in your second post of this thread.. That's the information I quoted in my previous post.

I gave the correct make and model numbers I have the owners manual in front of me here is a link that also has my Television owners manual http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/TVDocs/Toshiba%2030HF83%2030%20TheaterWide%20HD-Ready%20TV%20with%... as you will see it doesn’t have HDMI and it’s the same model number as the link you provided but manufactured in different years

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello T_J_Maguire, you probably would have better picture quality with a HDMI to DVI cable, but there could be a chance the TV might not receive the signal properly due to the HDCP copyright signal your tv may be too old to handle this, but it could also  work we would not know this is not something manufacturers often mention.

That or you can try to find an HDMI to Analog HD component dongle.  Remember, even though component is an Analogue signal, it is still High Definition in terms of picture quality.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@T_J_Maguire wrote:
I gave the correct make and model numbers...

For the second time, no you did not.  If you look at your second post you gave the model number as 30HF85.  The link in your latest post is for 30HF83, which makes sense for the years 2003, 2005. I have the following comments:

1. You can spend a bunch of money on an HDMI to component video and analogue audio converter, which will provide you with better picture quality than composite video, but the PQ probably won't be "great" especially with a 20 year old TV.    The converter needs to be powered - be aware of adaptors, which are unpowered and will likely not work.

2. You could see about an HDMI to DVI+analogue audio converter, which may work and may provide better picture quality since the digital video signal is passed through unharmed.  I'm not sure if you can even find such a beast today with DVI connections not used on TVs for almost 20 years.  Audio would need to be set up properly in the TV.

3. You could purchase a new TV. I've seen new 30-32" LED TVs for $150-$200.  These should produce better PQ than your 20 year old monster.  Also remember that your TV uses about 150 W, so, depending on how much it's on each day, it may be costing you $50/year or more to run.  A new LED will cost a lot less to operate, probably 80% less, and pay for itself in a couple of years.

4. If desired, you could use this opportunity to purchase a new larger HD or 4K TV.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@T_J_Maguire  You only asked about an option for connecting an Ignite set-top box via component video.  I pointed out an HDMI to Component Converter that another customer was using.

When you click on "See full details" on the Shop Ignite TV page, Rogers states that an "HDMI compatible TV required".  Anything else is unsupported.  I agree with @57 that your money would be better spent on a new TV rather that on a converter that may or may not work, and that Rogers would not support if you should ever run into a problem.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation