cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting output from modem?

markfink777
I plan to stick around

Can I use a simple managed switch to split the signal from my Ignite WiFi Gateway (XB6) to send to two

computers? Any conceivable problems doing so? They'd rarely be used at the same time. 

Tnks

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Splitting output from modem?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As in, expand the LAN beyond two ethernet ports.  There isn't much choice if that is required to run your LAN.  Only caveat might arise if you connect the Xi6 set top boxes to the managed switch.  The set top boxes use IPV6, so, running the set top boxes thru the managed switch would require the switch to allow IPV6 ops. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As in, expand the LAN beyond two ethernet ports.  There isn't much choice if that is required to run your LAN.  Only caveat might arise if you connect the Xi6 set top boxes to the managed switch.  The set top boxes use IPV6, so, running the set top boxes thru the managed switch would require the switch to allow IPV6 ops. 

markfink777
I plan to stick around

Yeah, it would only be from the 2nd modem out to the two PC's. My ignite TV box will remain on its own from the other modem output. 

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
I have a 16 port switch connected to mine. Right now two devices connected to that.
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation