cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Wi-Fi Speeds for Xi6-t

mubashir56
I plan to stick around

I am standing next to Xi6t but although Speed Test show 300 mbps on my iPhone, Xi6 says (on connected TV) signal strength too weak!!

How fast must Wifi be for it to show signal strength good enough ?

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Required Wi-Fi Speeds for Xi6-t

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56 wrote:

I am standing next to Xi6t but although Speed Test show 300 mbps on my iPhone, Xi6 says (on connected TV) signal strength too weak!!

It's important that ALL WiFi devices on your network have a "good" WiFi connection; that means that they should have a signal strength of -65 dBm or better and that their WiFi connection uses an efficient modulation scheme.  (To see the actual signal strength on the set-top box, you need to go into a diagnostic info screen by keying in the following sequence on the Rogers remote:  Press and hold the Exit button for 3 seconds, then key in "Down Down 2".  Go to the section where it says "WiFi Details".  Press "Exit" to leave the info screen.  There is no way to view the data rate on the WiFi connection.)

Your Xi6 set-top box only "needs" enough bandwidth to stream; 10 Mb/s (average) for HD and 25 Mb/s (average) for 4K streams.  However, it should still have as fast a WiFi connection as possible so that your WiFi network operates at peak performance.  (In my home, using business-grade WiFi Access Points, my iPhone has a 433 Mb/s connection and each of my set-top boxes have an 866 Mb/s connection.)

If the set-top box sees a poor signal strength from the WiFi Access Point (a Pod or the Ignite gateway) and the AP sees a poor signal from the set-top box, it will likely end up using an inefficient, low-bandwidth modulation scheme on the connection, and the device will consume a higher percentage of the available air time to transfer a given amount of data.  If too many devices on a channel/frequency have inefficient, poor quality network connections, your WiFi network will end up performing poorly because devices need to wait for the channel to become free before they can transmit their data, and that also will cause problems for devices that are only a few feet away from their WiFi AP.

Furthermore, if any neighbouring WiFi networks (that are in range) share the same channel, then ALL WiFi devices need to wait for the channel to become clear before they can transmit.  If your WiFi network is performing poorly, then all neighbouring WiFi networks on that same channel will also perform poorly, and vice versa.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mubashir56 wrote:

It's important that ALL WiFi devices on your network have a "good" WiFi connection; that means that they should have a signal strength of -65 dBm or better and that their WiFi connection uses an efficient modulation scheme.  (To see the actual signal strength on the set-top box, you need to go into a diagnostic info screen by keying in the following sequence on the Rogers remote:  Press and hold the Exit button for 3 seconds, then key in "Down Down 2".  Go to the section where it says "WiFi Details".  Press "Exit" to leave the info screen.  There is no way to view the data rate on the WiFi connection.)

Your Xi6 set-top box only "needs" enough bandwidth to stream; 10 Mb/s (average) for HD and 25 Mb/s (average) for 4K streams.  However, it should still have as fast a WiFi connection as possible so that your WiFi network operates at peak performance.  (In my home, using business-grade WiFi Access Points, my iPhone has a 433 Mb/s connection and each of my set-top boxes have an 866 Mb/s connection.)

If the set-top box sees a poor signal strength from the WiFi Access Point (a Pod or the Ignite gateway) and the AP sees a poor signal from the set-top box, it will likely end up using an inefficient, low-bandwidth modulation scheme on the connection, and the device will consume a higher percentage of the available air time to transfer a given amount of data.  If too many devices on a channel/frequency have inefficient, poor quality network connections, your WiFi network will end up performing poorly because devices need to wait for the channel to become free before they can transmit their data, and that also will cause problems for devices that are only a few feet away from their WiFi AP.

Furthermore, if any neighbouring WiFi networks (that are in range) share the same channel, then ALL WiFi devices need to wait for the channel to become clear before they can transmit.  If your WiFi network is performing poorly, then all neighbouring WiFi networks on that same channel will also perform poorly, and vice versa.

mubashir56
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your help

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 in conversation