cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please connect to your home WiFi...

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

Within the past month certain, mainly U.S., channels are no longer available via Ignite TV on my desktop PC computer, iPhone or iPad, when I am using my home WiFi network. When I select CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, FOX etc an error message appears advising me "Please connect to your home WiFi network. Due to licensing agreements some content can only be viewed on your home WiFi. Browse TV Go Channels. TV app-0101". I have called Rogers tech support at least twice, with the last technician, Dey, saying he was escalating the issue.  BTW, when this started, CNN couldn't be viewed either. Now, CNN can be viewed. So, at least one channel got fixed.  I have rebooted the modem several times, to no avail. Rogers sends me emails saying they couldn't find a problem!  Does anyone on this forum have any idea what is going on and how to fix it? Thank you for your suggestions.

***Edited Labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Please connect to your home WiFi...

RogersZia

Hi @chdiamo1, are the channels accessible through the TV box? Just wondering, do you have the advance security turned on in the modem? 

RogersZia

chdiamo1

Hello Zia. Yes. The channels are accessible on the TV through the set top box. The problem has now started to spread to other channels, including Channel 11, CHCH in Hamilton. I have no idea if the advanced security is on or off. And I have no idea how to change that security. I unplug the modem for 30-60 seconds and plug it back in. I usually reset the set top box at the same time, just in case. So, I reboot everything I can see and think of to reboot, including my iPad, my iPhone (both with the IgniteTV app from the Apple Store) and my Windows 10 64 bit OS PC. CNN has returned to the Ignite TV app on my computer, iPad and iPhone but Channel 11 now thinks I'm not on my home WiFi. How do I reset the security on my modem and my set top box? Thanks for your help Zia-and anyone else with a possible solution.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chdiamo1  I recently did some testing with this on my iPhone, and it insisted that I have Location Services enabled and configured to provide my precise location, even when I was in my home and connected to my in-home W-Fi.  I don't know how the Ignite TV app would work on iOS devices whose location services cannot provide a "Precise Location" that is 100% accurate.

clemng1
I've been around

Any luck resolving this?  We have spent 2 long calls with Rogers and still no answer...

chdiamo1

Do you have the same problem clemng1? The problem still exist on my PC desktop, my iPhone and my iPad. Like the application password that isn't being fixed, perhaps this is the next problem won't be fixing. They don't even admit it's a problem! Rogers TV and internet service is provided as part of our housing charge, so, I'd be paying twice if I changed TV and internet service. But it's very tempting.

chdiamo1

Since many channels on Ignitetv are no longer available via my desktop tv or iPad or iPhone, some on this forum have suggested that I change the security settings on my modem. How do I login to the modem and what security settings need to be set to what? The problem I want to fix is ignitetv thinking that I'm not connected to my home wifi for mainly U.S., but also now Cdn channels. So, Buffalo stations can be viewed on my tv but not using the ignite application on my desktop or iPad or iPhone. When I click on CTV or CBC, I can watch on y iPhone. But when I click on Channel 17, WGR Buffalo or CHCH Channel 11 Hamilton, an error message appears saying I'm not connected to my home wifi. Rogers says there's no problem. I'm obviously connected to my home wifi for many channels but somehow not for others. That makes no sense to me. How can I be connected to my home wifi for some channels but not others? How can there be no cause and cure for this issue?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Advanced Security is a feature that can be enabled and disabled using the Ignite HomeConnect app.  However, when this feature gets in the way, it usually blocks web sites from loading.  Ignite TV should be unaffected and the backend streaming infrastructure should not be in any of the block lists... and if it was, I would expect that it would have broken Ignite TV completely.

The one thing that IS guaranteed to break the Ignite TV app or web player is having a VPN enabled.

I don't know whether having iCloud Private Relay enabled on iOS/iPadOS would cause any problems with the app.  (It does cause problems when using Safari on macOS)

On iOS/iPadOS, it's conceivable that getting incorrect information from Location services could make the app believe that you are outside your home, even if you are connected through your in-home Wi-Fi.

For what it's worth, even Xfintity TV customers are reporting this same problem:

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-stream-app/streaming-on-wifi-im-getting-connect-to-...

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-stream-app/connect-to-inhome-wifi-to-watch/6202b06f...

If Ignite TV tech support cannot offer any helpful suggestions or solutions, I would suggest sending a private message to @CommunityHelps and asking them to escalate a ticket to their support teams.  They, in turn, may need to work with their Comcast support teams to figure out why this is not working for you,

chdiamo1
Thank you G for recognising that my problem exist and that someone some where might know something about this issue, including a possible solution. I will follow up with suggestion and see what might happen. Thanks again for your suggestion.

chdiamo1

Hello G. To whom  @CommunityHelps do I send a private message? Is @CommunityHelps part of Comcast or Rogers?

@chdiamo1,  @CommunityHelps is the group address for the moderators here on the Rogers Forum.  When you're logged into the forum, follow this link to the @CommunityHelps page. On that page will be a link on the right hand side to Send a Message. Follow that link to the message composition page. The address will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details and when the message is complete, hit Send Message at the bottom.

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner. That will indicate that there's an inbound message for you. Follow that envelope symbol as it serves as a link to the message inbox and outbox. From the response in the inbox you can then message back and forth as required.

To send anyone else on the forum a message, including @communityhelps, hover your mouse over their user name and a popup will appear with a link to send a Private Message. Follow that Private Message link to the message composition page and as before the message addressee will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details and hit Send Message when you're ready to send the message.

Thinking aloud about this issue, I wonder if its related to any IPV6 issues.  I'd like to see someone try an experiment, which is to disable IPV6 on a pc or laptop and then reboot the device so that its running on IPV4 only.  Success or failure would determine or eliminate any IPv6 address issues, or possibly IPV6 path issues.  

To do this on a Windows pc or laptop go Start .... Control Panel .... Network and Sharing Centre .... Network Connections ..... Wifi Properties.  That should bring up the Network Properties for the Wifi Adapter.  Scroll down to Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).  Uncheck the box to deselect IPv6.  Hit OK at the bottom and then reboot the device.  If this doesn't work, use the same procedure but this time check the box and reboot the device.  

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation