cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV to a Projector

jeff0614
I've been here awhile

The Ignite boxes do not have separate audio. Is there a way to get audio to my receiver so I can hook up to my projector?

*Added Labels*

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Ignite TV to a Projector

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, unfortunately you are seeing this more and more now.
I just picked up a new ATV4, which only has HDMI out, vs the 3 used to have optical out.

I think the majority of these are now expecting, that people are going to 
A ) be running them through the receiver first.  So 1-X HDMI devices into the receiver, then output to the TV (or projector).
B ) multiple devices to the TV, then do the audio out from the TV to the receiver.

The issue in this case is, if your projector is not always the primary display?  Like you have a TV as well?
Not as easy as you would have to switch the output from the receiver to one or the other.

jeff0614
I've been here awhile

Thanks,

The projector in this room, is the only display.  It only has one HDMI imput so I do have an HDMI switcher with a DVD player also hooked up.  Both my projector and receiver have been around for a while.  The receiver does not have HDMI in/output.  I wonder about an HDMI audio extractor splitter with an fibre optic.  Could I run the HDMI out from the Ignite box through one of these to hook up fibre optic audio to my receiver?

That would probably work.. not too crazy expensive.

Guessing the DVD player is outputing its audio to the receiver then?

Might want to consider if you get the audio extractor maybe then to put it AFTER your hdmi splitter? lessen the amount of cables and then ANYTHING through the splitter would be outputted to the receiver.

Long run investment might be worth getting a newer receiver, which will include the HDMI switching, etc.
Again, as more and more tech may be going this way.
Saw a bunch of them around black friday/boxing day, in the sub $300 range.
(we picked up one for the boardroom at work, was $250, 5 hdmi input, 100w / channel, 7.1)

jeff0614
I've been here awhile
Thanks so much. I appreciate you taking the time.

MLRC
I've been here awhile

Ignite box to Yamaha receiver to Epson projector resolution is colourful pixelated outline of program. It works good to TV. I have tried all settings on Ignite, Epson receiver is about 4 years old and 1080. Occasionally can get to work by switching to 720 then back to 1080.

Rogers installer did not have answer, Computer Canada guy said may need a video converter?

Looking for suggestions please.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm confused. You say TV, then projector (FP), you say Epson projector then Epson Receiver. I assume you're using HDMI from Rogers IgniteTV box to Yamaha AVR, to Epson projector and that a direct connection to the projector works.

Suggestions:

1. Update firmware on FP and AVR.

2. Set video output on Rogers box to 1080i, not p.  Do not use the "auto" setting.

3. Try different HDMI cables as they can be an issue sometimes.

4. How long is the HDMI cable from the box to AVR?  From AVR to FP?

5. What is the exact model number of Epson FP?  Of Yamaha AVR?

RAJIVS
I've been around

I had a same problem.  I was not getting sound through the receiver and projector.  I searched this device through AMAZON AND IT WORKED.  

Proster 5x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor 4K 3D HDMI Audio Converter with IR Remote HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink (5.1CH Mode) or Stereo Output with 6.5 Feet Optical Cable and 3.5mm Male to 2 RCA.

NOW EVERYTHING IS WORKING WITH PROJECTOR AND RECEIVER.  HDMI FROM IGNITE BOX GOES TO ONE OF THE HDMI INPUT ON THIS HDMI SWITCH WITH AUDIO EXTRACTOR AND HDMI OUT GOES TO PROJECTOR/TV/PS4 AND RCA GOES TO RECEIVER FOR SOUND.

Mainardguy12
I've been here awhile

I am hoping this is the solution to my problem. My receiver has HDMI in and out but it is “pass through “ so doesn’t separate audio or video. I used to have old Rogers HD box with optical audio that went into receiver. That’s where my sound was supplied. Gonna give it a try. Was looking at upgrading your projector but don’t want to spend $2000 and then find out it doesn’t work. 

Pass through on a receiver, generally is just for passing though the HDMI signal through the receiver when its not active.  So say if its going out to a regular TV,  you can just run the TV on its own without needing the receiver.
(and then still have audio, etc)
Generally in most cases that I have seen the receiver still sends out audio to the end source as well (like mine the TV still has audio as well when the receiver is on)

So in the case of using a projector..  with an receiver.  Should in general be pretty straight forward.
(assuming you will always use the receiver for audio)
HDMI from the  Ignite into the receiver.   Hdmi out of the receiver to the projector.
Most projectors will have cheap audio of some form on it, i would disable it there.
As long as your receiver is on, on the right input, audio etc should be good.

Now, the only thing you will/may run into, will be setting the audio, etc.
You would need to try and pair the remote to the receiver for changing audio, instead of normally controlling a TV.
And might have to turn on the projector on its own.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mainardguy12 : Should provide us with the exact make and model of the AVR (Audio Video Receiver). Some (older) AVRs do not handle the HDMI audio at all (audio to speakers) and only pass the signal on to the TV.  Those AVRs required a separate connection for audio like optical. I believe this is what @Mainardguy12 is talking about, not audio passthrough when the AVR is off...

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation